Notices

I am on Suboxone and have concerns..

Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am on Suboxone and have concerns..

I am a recovering heroin addict. I have not used heroin in four years two months now I have to say though with the help of suboxone and a great Dr. Whom truly has a genuine understanding of addiction as well as co-occurring disorders. I have been told by three different Dr.s thru three suboxone clinics that I am what they call a " lifer". Meaning that the choice to stay on suboxone maintenance for "life" I guess is probably a good idea. I am 43 years old and have used since the age of 9. Thus perhaps making me highly susceptible to relapse by chance I choose to go off the medication. I would like to think that I am strong enough by now to move forward w/out the help of the suboxone, however In my attempts to wean down no matter how slowly I have found myself back at square one. So I have accepted the fact that I am living my life drug free and w/out any craving or desire to use anything now. I am ok with the fact I cont. to need the help of suboxone to maintain my life and my sobriety. When and if I feel I should stop taking it I will address it at that time. I cont. to go to meeting regularly however some feel that I am trading one addiction for another and I guess it raises some doubt at times. I suppose the most important thing is how I feel about it and how my life is going well and I am continuing to grow and move forward. I would like to hear what others think good or not in regards to my situation. Thanks for your support and feed back.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Good!

4 years is great - congratulations!! I'm not familiar with the pros and cons of suboxone, but it sounds like the professionals treating you recommend staying on it. I think some well-meaning folks at meetings tend to want to make it a black and white issue, but you have to do what's best for you.

If you haven't already, check out this part of the forum:
Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Glad you've decided to join us!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no sub experience either but welcome to SR Good

D