Notices

3 days sober...bad day, mentally/emotionally

Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days sober...bad day, mentally/emotionally

Well, Ive started over and managed 3 days without drinking and it felt good. Now the 4th day comes, and I feel...different. Kinda depressed, irritated, no appetite...I can't just pick up a beer and, frankly, that pisses me off. I guess that's it, not using my "remedy". I'm not physically dependent, but psychologically, this sucks. It's the WANT, coupled with the "I can't" and "I've gone 3 days"...3 days doesn't seem like a significant amount of time, but I don't think I've ever managed much past that. I always went back, starting out small until I ended up drinking excessively, having an episode and vowing to quit again. I even feel awkward writing on here, after so many failed attempts...It's my day off but when I go back to work, I'm going to look into counseling through my job. Can't find anything on-line. They pay for the first 3 sessions, which is a plus, since I was worried about the cost.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is hard in the beginning. You've made it thru the worst. Find other things to do. Do not think about what you are missing. Think about what you are gaining. Be proud of yourself. Keep going. It gets so much easier. You even find the joy with longterm sobriety. I'm 2 years sober. I'm not going back. It's a dark and terrible place. There is light and laughter ahead. Keep going friend.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read, walk, SR, drink coffee. Do anything to take your mind off of it. Take a nap. It will soon pass and your one day further :0).
Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi carly. I was all over the place in the beginning, very similar to what you described. It all settled down within a couple of weeks, and I felt a little better every day after that. It's hard to learn a new way of living - we're so used to our buffer. You'll never regret reclaiming your life, though. The best is yet to come.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not going to say 'Day 4 is the worst' but for me, this time, day 4 was rough. It does get better. And it's the thought of going through that first week or so again, well, among other things, that helps keep me from giving in.
You can do it.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Everyone has bad days. Just us alcoholics are woefully underskilled in the area of coping mechanisms I said to myself every day (sometimes multiple times a day) for MONTHS...."what would a normal person do?".

They go to starbucks. Or the gym. Or watch a movie. Or call a friend to chat. Or just go to bed! But us alcoholics...we . As if the world is ending because we never (or I never anyway) saw a problem through any other way than through a bottle.

It's almost anti-climactic, honestly, how simple and quick it is to cheer myself up now. And I don't have a 2 day hangover to contend with afterwards!

You are doing GREAT
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I agree with everyone else. Day 3 is great.. just think of how great day 4 and 5 will be! I'm on 18 and I really think MOST of what gets me through to another day is thinking about the number of days I've already got behind me. You CAN do this. We are all here cheering you on!!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You may face a lot of emotions that you have been icing over with alcohol. These are things you'll have to take care of in a positive way. You'll learn what it is to really feel again. Take it in stride, but don't inhibit yourself from shaping into the real person that you want to be and convey.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 and I feel the exact same way...very crabby(( I soooo hope this gets better. Oh Lord and I hear day 4 is bad...

Last edited by Opie2713; 06-20-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: wanted to add
Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know what it is. The first 3 days were ok. Maybe because I kept telling myself I couldn't drink and at the same time not really wanting to drink, since those days were pretty good. But as soon as I start feeling bad, I want it again. And it's scary because I know where I could end up. The usual coping mechanisms aren't there anymore. Once you start using a substance to cope, that's all you know. Like, you forget how to be human and just deal with things. But I have my "fix". That's not normal. It doesn't fix anything. And most often, it just makes you feel worse.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Right. You really have to learn how to live.

I am not an AA person. I highly recommend rational recovery. Learning how to identify that 'addict voice's was crucial to my recovery! You can google or check the secular forum here!