Notices

Relapse and work

Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse and work

I was doing well in my recovery. But I've found some recent changes at work very stressful and have started drinking again.

Here's the thing. I have no trouble staying sober on the weekend, or days I don't go into work. No desire to drink at all. But I just can't face my job without a drink, and then wind up drinking even after work, often through the night.

This can't end well. Does anybody have any thoughts? I realize my behaviour is irrational but keep repeating it despite my best intentions.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

What is it about your job? Is there anyone you can confront, or talk to? or is it just the job itself?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm effectively a self-employed professional, although my situation a bit more complex than that. Essentially, every thing comes down to me. There is no one I can talk to, and no support of any kind.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Riel View Post
This can't end well. Does anybody have any thoughts?
I agree. This can't end well.

If stress is the reason you drink, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (though I tend to think alcoholics drink...period. If we need a reason one is always handy.)

Anyway, if it is stress, then find a way to deal with it. Google "Reduce Stress" and you get a hundred results. Deal with your stress without drinking.

Or find a new line of work.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The thing is Riel, alcohol is a very bad coping strategy for anything, especially work. And if it doesn't seem that way right now, it will become apparent eventually.

I agree^^...google stress, and I bet drinking won't come up as one of the solutions

The other theory is that you are just addicted to alcohol and that 'stress' is your best excuse...in which case look into any recovery methods you haven't tried yet.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you ever considered changing your work situation, eg to have someone else involved who you could talk to re business.

Good for you for seeing the trend and trying to change it.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"If we need a reason one is always handy."

More like "if we need reasons, plenty are always handy" but aside from that, I completely agree.

Every time I quit for an appreciable amount of time, I remember what I did to get through the first week. I shut everything out, channeled several of my friends who either have problems or know pretty well about mine, and told myself "no excuses anymore, every second I make it sober makes me prouder of myself."
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to be self employed. The stress could get pretty intense.

I agree with others here that finding healthier ways of dealing with stress is pretty important - vital even.

I found counselling helped, along with revising my targets to more workable levels, getting my expectations realistic - and just basically letting some some stuff go...

D
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've got an employee who is suing me for an accident at work that was technically his fault,

Its unlikely that he will win but it did drive me back to drinking recently, I'm back on the wagon again now and feel a lot better for it.

I was going to start my own thread up about it but I'm sick of reading my own relapse threads.

The bottom line of it is though that I tried to manage my stress by drinking and in effect it made my stress levels higher as I was dealing with the same problem but with an hangover.

A clear head and some positive thoughts have done me the world of good.

Good luck,

Bruno.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for the thoughtful replies.

You know, yesterday I was typing a response in which I was explaining how I knew I'd have to wrestle with myself on the way to work as I'd find myself headed in the direction of the liquor store, and then I realized I should just stay home. So I took another day off.

I made it in to work today without being tempted to drink, although I do feel pretty shell-shocked and won't accomplish much.

I realize that I have to put staying sober first, and if that means I have to stop working so be it. I'll stop sooner or later in any event, due to my drinking, from health problems or a car accident.

Having given myself permission to quit my job has had the immediate effect of reducing the stress I feel from it. I'll just take it day by day, and focus on staying sober.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.