Notices

Learning to have fun again

Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Learning to have fun again

So I'm on day 4 today - where I would normally slip up. Although I feel a bit more confident this time. But I'm so bored and have come to realise that not only do I have to learn to actually sleep again and not just pass out.. I also have to learn how to have fun! Which I think is gonna be a bit hard because I'm really tired for some reason..

I also feel like having a piece of chocolate. Or popcorn maybe. Normally I would never feel like having any of this. Now I'm afraid if I should eat some candy it would become a new addiction.

Has anyone else tried suddenly feeling like some kind of candy when trying to stay sober? Or you think it would be a good or bad thing to eat some?
Also what did you do to have fun in the early stages of recovery? I'm mostly looking for things to do for free at home or something.. Since I have very little money this month after paying back all the money I borrowed people for alcohol.. Which turned out to be quite alot. But it's a good feeling to be rid of!

Normally I would start cooking stuff when I'm bored. But we have so much prepared food now, I can't possibly stuff more in the fridge. And I've been playing around with my cat so much she has fallen asleep on top of her toy, haha.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, treat yourself to some great food and awesome sweets. Chocolate is my personal favorite. Being tired can be common in early sobriety. Stay connected to people who can keep your momentum going. The walls can close in on you if you isolate. Great job!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 4 I totally understand where you're coming from. When I quit drinking I didn't know what to do myself... I didn't know what I enjoyed doing or how to relax. Like you I have found a love for cooking, but also baking. I bake a lot of cakes, cookies, scones, things like that. I enjoy doing it so much and find it very therapeutic. I don't think there's anything wrong with treating yourself - you definitely deserve a treat for doing so well, and at this stage I don't think you need to concern yourself with it becoming another addiction. When I was first sober, I ate and ate and ate - mostly sweet things. I put on quite a bit of weight but I just didn't care. So long as I did everything I could to not drink then I thought it would be OK. Recently I've decided that I don't need to distract my mind any more with sweets or chocolate, and have lost most of the weight I gained. Try not to worry about anything else right now except staying away from the alcohol. You can focus on that another time. Right now, just do what you have to
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
Oh yeah, treat yourself to some great food and awesome sweets. Chocolate is my personal favorite. Being tired can be common in early sobriety. Stay connected to people who can keep your momentum going. The walls can close in on you if you isolate. Great job!
Well, life is spitting me in the face with a household of no chocolate; but a bottle of Bailey. At least I don't feel tempted to drink it! (The thought actually kinda sickens me.. never were much of a Bailey-fan.)

But after many days in the lovely embrace of family and friends, it's nice to have some time for myself. So I will just stay connected to people here.

Thanks! May a wonderful dinner await you in the near future!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and CONGRATS on day 4. That's awesome.

If I had no chocolate in the house, I'd go get some.

Similar to others, I ate a lot of sweets in the first weeks and it was OK for me. ALSO, I slept a lot.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey Fatale,

I made a decision that for the first 4 weeks I'd eat anything I fancied and not feel guilty about it at all.

How about starting some fitness work to tackle the boredom?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
Congratulations on day 4 I totally understand where you're coming from. When I quit drinking I didn't know what to do myself... I didn't know what I enjoyed doing or how to relax. Like you I have found a love for cooking, but also baking. I bake a lot of cakes, cookies, scones, things like that. I enjoy doing it so much and find it very therapeutic. I don't think there's anything wrong with treating yourself - you definitely deserve a treat for doing so well, and at this stage I don't think you need to concern yourself with it becoming another addiction. When I was first sober, I ate and ate and ate - mostly sweet things. I put on quite a bit of weight but I just didn't care. So long as I did everything I could to not drink then I thought it would be OK. Recently I've decided that I don't need to distract my mind any more with sweets or chocolate, and have lost most of the weight I gained. Try not to worry about anything else right now except staying away from the alcohol. You can focus on that another time. Right now, just do what you have to

Thanks!

I sorta know what I enjoy. But also alot of things I thought I enjoyed. Turns out I was just too drunk to care. Like doing the dishes...
Cooking is certainly one of the best things for me. I've always enjoyed it but not been able to do much about it when drunk. I'm not much of a baker tho - I hate the feeling of dough under my nails, haha.

It's good to hear you could just decide it. I was a bit afraid it would just be a step back. Now I just need to have my boyfriend come back from the store with biscuits and chocolate.. and chocolatebiscuits.

That reminds me, maybe I should try making home-made biscuits tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Hey Fatale,

I made a decision that for the first 4 weeks I'd eat anything I fancied and not feel guilty about it at all.

How about starting some fitness work to tackle the boredom?
I already go to a gym 3 times I week. I don't have money to go more sadly.. I'm on a program for young people with all kinds of problems; addiction, recovering from surgery, depression, whatever really. If I want to go more than those 3 times a week I have to pay. And the gym is very expensive.

But thanks for the tip! I will certainly try out just eating what I feel like.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Day Four is tough.

Do what makes you happy.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Anonyme Alkoholikere - Velkommen til AA Danmark

You can make some sober friends here!

Glad you are on SR!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

walking has allways helped me. day four was hard for me too, it felt like the boredom would never end, after about three weeks everything started to get better.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ate (and sometimes still do) dry, sugar coated cereal like fruit loops, and also really started loving ice cream again. This went on for about three months. I have really noticed the sugar cravings have subsided, along with the thoughts of alcohol. Snacking is not a bad thing at all - enjoy some treats and keep up the great work!