Notices

Day four-I don't think I can do this

Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day four-I don't think I can do this

Feel like I will never feel normal again. It seems like I felt much better before I stopped. Thinking of switching to wine instead of vodka....
Old 06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

It does get better. You've gotten past the first 3 days. You have to give it time to get better, time to heal physically and emotionally. You are on this board for a reason. Stick with itl. We are here to support you and cheer you on!!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yea, it felt bad at first for me too, took about three weeks this time to feel better, hang in there, it's much better sober.. I've allways thought day four to be the worst.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's difficult to stop effortjoy. Not drinking feels so uncomfortable.
It's not easy - but there is support here and elsewhere.

I found when I stayed the distance I found normal again - and to my surprise it was a normal I'd forgotten about....a normal that somewhere I'd replaced with a a 'drinking normal'

I got my life and the old me back. Don't give up on that.

I dunno about you but I drank for years - give sobriety more than a couple of days chance

D
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Switching will not help effort, alcohol is alcohol.
I hope it gets better for you soon plz try and stick it out
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 4! Getting through the first week was a bit rough for me too. Hang in there , it really does get better. That AV is messing with your head right now. I can tell you from experience, switching from vodka to wine results in the same outcome. MISERY!

It made no difference in the long run...I still couldn't control myself. I had plenty of blackouts with wine. I had to face the fact I couldn't drink. Didn't matter what it was.
Please keep coming here for support. You can do this!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Effortjoy I know how you feel I'm on day 4 too but we can do this!!!
Thinking of you !!! Sending you good positive energy!!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why give in after only 3 days? We've taken years and years to trash the crap out of our bodies to get to the hell that we're in now. Logic tells me it must take more than 3 days to undo the damage. You can do it!

To add, I've tried the "only wine now" or "just beer" or "switching to ____, no more vodka" but it always ended the same way.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I was thinking the same thing! You've made it through 3 days, why not keep moving forward??? You are on your way to sobriety and there is nothing I can't do today. When I drank, I ended up sitting alone watching tv and just drinking. That's no life. Today, I get out and about, I talk to all kinds of people where ever I go, life is truly worth living today!!

What goes up, must come down, then you'll even out!!!! You can keep moving forward and soon, you'll look back and know you did right to yourself!! It's a process....

I know you can do this!! We are here for you, we've been where you are now. You aren't alone anymore.

With love,
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You said before that you started drinking at age 13. You drank wine for a long time. In fact it sounds like you became an alcoholic drinking wine, long before you switched to vodka.

One day I looked in the mirror and couldn't recognize myself. Though I always ran and maintained my weight even during the worst of my drinking binges- I looked bloated, dark circles under the eyes, bloodshot eyes and my once sharp thinking abilities were definitely dulling into "brain fog." I didn't want to be this kind of mother. I didn't want to be this kind of person.
I know it's hard—it may get even harder before it gets easier. But it will get easier. How much time are you willing to invest now to be the kind of person you truly want to be, to live the rest of your life as you truly should?

More than four days, I reckon. You can do this. You did good, coming here to post about it, effortjoy.

Effort and joy. That sounds about right to me. This is just the effort part. The joy will come, I promise.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wine made me just as sick as vodka. The best thing is to avoid all of it.

It takes time, but you will feel better. Don't drink.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
Why give in after only 3 days? We've taken years and years to trash the crap out of our bodies to get to the hell that we're in now. Logic tells me it must take more than 3 days to undo the damage. You can do it!

To add, I've tried the "only wine now" or "just beer" or "switching to ____, no more vodka" but it always ended the same way.
Edit: I just thought of this- I do not mean "just 3 days" to imply it was some small feat. I know getting 3 days seemed almost impossible for me, for years. Hell, just 1 day seemed impossible for a very long time. Keep at it!!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im on day four too! Stay determined! Ive had little improvements each day that make it worth suffering through the first few days. Day 3 was my worst. But i powered through it and here i am, almost done with day 4. Please stay strong!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 4 is good. I know I didn't get that far on the first two attempts. It gets better. Believe me, it does get better. I think that, this time, for me, day 4 was the low point. Tired, groggy, irritable.
So don't give in. It's not worth it. But you are, ok?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

None of us would ever quit if we thought Day 3 was as good as we'd ever feel. I remember having the same feelings, effortjoy - but I knew there was going to be an improvement if I just held on for dear life. No, it isn't easy - it's unpleasant and uncomfortable. We feel like lost souls in the beginning.

As the others have said, we can promise you it will get easier, you will feel better, and you won't regret reclaiming your life.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you

I made it through day four! All of your support made it possible. I had a really, really hard day. At one point during the afternoon, I was positive everyone around me would be better off if I had a few drinks, but I fought that thought all day....and I am hoping day 5 will be easier
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good for you! I've had many, many Day 4's (and Day 1's, and Day 17's, and ... well, you get it). Every time, the first 5 days were the worst. You're almost there, kiddo. Don't give up.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes it really DOES get better. I just posted that I'm 2 weeks sober today and yesterday my smile finally came back. I really wanted to kill my husband for 2 weeks. What would have sent me over the edge last week got a "eh whatever" from me today. Just stick with it and it was wine that got me in this situation. Best of luck!!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great job on getting through today...Every day will get better you don't drink..My first couple weeks my emotions were all over the map...I'd go from happy to sad to wanting to rip someones head off for nothing..It's normal...We have a lot of undoing to do....Give time some time....You have two ways you can go right now...Back to misery or forward to what I can promise you will be better every day you get through...Just don't pick up the first drink. What are you doing for recovery besides this site?...Any other support or anything else you are reading?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Way to stay the course effortjoy! Next week at this time you are going to be in double digits - can't wait to read that happy post! Rock on, doll - you got this!!