Notices

New to forum & recovery after scary realization

Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum & recovery after scary realization

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum.

I never really used to drink much after college until I started dating my current boyfriend who likes to have an after-work drink most evenings. Lately, however, for me it has become an after-work binge more often than I'd like. Once I start drinking it gets hard for me to stop. My boyfriend is good about letting me know when I should ease up, but I lack the ability to limit myself.

Yesterday he and I both finally realized the severity of my problem when he came home from work to find me passed out on the kitchen floor with a broken wine glass next to me. At first he was afraid someone broke in and hurt me. We've decided we're just not going to have alcohol in the apartment anymore except for the small amount of beer he brews.

I think it's boredom that drives me to drink in the first place. We have every game console on the market, a 3D TV, a fitness center, a pool, and plenty of other methods of entertainment, but I still get overcome with horrible listlessness on my days off. I started caring for potted plants, but after their daily watering there's not much else to do with them. We have no pets. I feel like a bored housewife with a full-time job instead of kids.

It's great to see other people's stories of recovery because I feel less alone in this thing. Thank you all so much. I hope to learn a lot from everyone.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You're in the right place!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a really great place. Alot of wise people on here. I am new too, it's been a little over a week that I've come to the realization that I have a problem with alcohol, and that I need to do something about it. There is something not normal that goes on in my mind when I start drinking. I work full time as well, and while we normally have a lot of things going on to keep me busy, I'm looking forward to meeting some sober friends that have a passion for life, fitness, or other hobbies I'm interested in. Do you have any passions? Cooking, reading, sports, crafts.....if not, try a class or something that sounds interesting to you.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by irid View Post
I think it's boredom that drives me to drink in the first place.
So in all the years before your current boyfriend you were never bored? It's only now that you are bored and it makes you want to drink?

Wrong. Your drinking has unleashed a person who, when she starts drinking, can't stop...

You want to drink. That "boredom" is the beginning. The rationalization. In recovery terms, it is the addictive voice giving you permission, a reason, to drink.

I hope you stick around, read a bunch of threads, learn as much about alcohol and alcoholism. And we'll support you in that journey.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It's a really good place to be if you want help and advice. There are lots of people here with a vast amount of knowledge and experience. Have you tried baking? I find it so therapeutic. If I'm feeling stressed, sad, restless or unable to focus on things, I bake a cake. I've found that I'm really quite good at it, and whilst I'm doing it I think about nothing else. Give it a try - you may enjoy it!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Irid- you can alleviate your boredom by checking out the AA meetings around your area. The locations are usually listed online. You can go and just listen, no participation required. They use a book called the Big Book of AA. Here's how I knew I fit, from page 44 "If, when you honestly want to, you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic"- I realized I was powerless over alcohol. Excuse typos, I'm sending from phone. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Nice to hear you and your BF are working on this together.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
So in all the years before your current boyfriend you were never bored? It's only now that you are bored and it makes you want to drink?
Presumptuous, aren't we?

I never kept alcohol in the house before moving in with my boyfriend because I found out in college that I can't handle it. He tends to keep a 1.5L bottle of gin in the freezer for the occasional mixed drink. Before yesterday he always thought I was being a hypochondriac about my drinking problem. He didn't realize how much he was enabling me.

I feel both grateful and awful that he has to sacrifice something he enjoys on account of my problem. We've been together for two years. Since officially moving in together it just got really bad - going from bingeing maybe twice a year on New Year's and my birthday to once or twice a month for no real reason. I guess that doesn't sound like a lot compared to, like, the people on Intervention, but losing control of myself at any time is one time to many.

Thank you all for your support. I'll check out what meetings are available in the area.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

welcome- sounds like you have a really great boyfriend and a pretty good life in general. So do I- it's good that we stop our problems now with alcohol before we lose everything good.

As far as boredom I know what you mean. I have taken up painting- it occupies my mind and my hands.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
welcome- sounds like you have a really great boyfriend and a pretty good life in general. So do I- it's good that we stop our problems now with alcohol before we lose everything good.
Aeo, that's my thinking exactly. If twice a year became twice a month, I don't want to let it become any more frequent than that and possibly have it interfere with my job.

I feel like a spoiled child sometimes. I'm incredibly lucky, but I feel unfulfilled. Then that makes me feel guilty because I should be grateful for all I have...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aeo, that's my thinking exactly. If twice a year became twice a month, I don't want to let it become any more frequent than that and possibly have it interfere with my job.

I feel like a spoiled child sometimes. I'm incredibly lucky, but I feel unfulfilled. Then that makes me feel guilty because I should be grateful for all I have...

Many of us can tell you that for ourselves the twice a month binges turned into twice a week binges turned into ... long stretches of drinky drinks.

If you can nip this thing now you are likely saving yourself from becoming "one of those people" on intervention. The hardest thing most of us have gone through is watching those who know they have a drinking problem, but don't think it's bad enough, fall back into drinking for more years because they don't understand that the disease of alcoholism is progressive.

All that really means is that even if/when you stop drinking the alcoholism keeps doing push ups waiting for you to start again.

Seems like you have a good guy there if he's willing to give up his drinking because he sees you are having troubles with it. Maybe time to break out an old video game you never beat and start working towards the end goal? Filling time, especially those first few days and weeks, can be an amazing way to step back from a destructive force.

And of course posting here and researching alcoholism and addiction online can be helpful: Always look for the similarities, not the differences.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I feel the same way. We are going through hard times financially right now, but I have a great family, friends, a house, a job, etc. And all I cared about was ME ME ME.

I am working the program of AA and I am slowly learning that there is a lot more to this world then ME!!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand how you feel, but its OK to feel that way! It's ok to have amazing things in your life but to want to strive for something more. I have had a lot of health problems and had a lot of help from family and friends, but I am still miserable. And I have been accused of being ungrateful. It's a hard place to be in, but don't let anyone tell you what to feel. You (and myself) just need to work towards moving forward. Life should always be a journey. You should never stop swimming!

:ghug3