Notices

Plan for Stability and Recovery!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

((Paul)) - If you don't want to read what someone posts, you can put them on ignore. I've never actually done that, as even the people who annoy me the most often have something I really need to read/hear, but it is an option.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good luck to you Paul. My rules were a bit more simple than yours.
Don't answer the phone after the 6th drink. Don't go outside and talk to the neighbors after the 6th drink.
Somehow or another both never seem to have stuck.
Really, I do hope it works for you!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
I hear that. I took what you said about the reading the posts at face value.

More importantly, what I'm saying than rather than romanticize the actual process of drinking and the subsequent relief (which I know your promised you wouldn't expound upon - thank you), what I'm saying is to record what you are feeling immediately before the act.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there is a blog section on this forum where you can keep a journal - not saying you have to go there; just saying it is available.
Alright, I will try that out. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Good luck to you Paul. My rules were a bit more simple than yours.
Don't answer the phone after the 6th drink. Don't go outside and talk to the neighbors after the 6th drink.
Somehow or another both never seem to have stuck.
Really, I do hope it works for you!!!
LOL!! Oh geez, I wish there was a breathalyzer on the phone. I also made some incredibly stupid Facebook posts in my days!

Thanks for your support!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Recovering

Just on blogs/journals - I find it really useful to keep a journal. I keep mine the old fashioned way on paper. That way you can write what you want without it upsetting anyone. It's still early (60) days for me but I find it really encouraging to look back. The first 2 weeks I was utterly miserable but then you can tell in the writing the mood lifting steadily over the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I've successfully tapered off alcoholic binges to avoid withdrawal many times. The massive problem is the times I wound up in the ER for withdrawal, and I didn't want to keep playing that game. My wife doesn't have to taper after having her occasional glasses of wine. What does that fact say to me? I personally am not taking a stand for/against tapering--only saying despite the fact that it can be done, it is a very dangerous game for an alcoholic.

Best of luck Paul, try your hardest to stay healthy and happy. You have my prayers.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oinobares View Post
I've successfully tapered off alcoholic binges to avoid withdrawal many times. The massive problem is the times I wound up in the ER for withdrawal, and I didn't want to keep playing that game. My wife doesn't have to taper after having her occasional glasses of wine. What does that fact say to me? I personally am not taking a stand for/against tapering--only saying despite the fact that it can be done, it is a very dangerous game for an alcoholic.

Best of luck Paul, try your hardest to stay healthy and happy. You have my prayers.
Thanks for the message. Can you elaborate on what caused you to go to the ER? Was it the withdrawals after tapering or consuming a lot of alcohol after tapering. And I don't know if this is against the rules or not, but how much were you drinking in these binges?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I like the saying: If I'm an alcoholic, I shouldn't drink, and if I'm not an alcoholic, I don't need to drink.

Alcoholics can't manage their intake - sooner or later it spirals into some degree of drinking that makes you and the people around you unhappy.

Non-alcoholics would never have to or need to create a rigid plan to manage alcohol intake. Reading your plan, it seems that alcohol is controlling you again, just in a different way in this attempt.

Just something to think about.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Just on blogs/journals - I find it really useful to keep a journal. I keep mine the old fashioned way on paper. That way you can write what you want without it upsetting anyone. It's still early (60) days for me but I find it really encouraging to look back. The first 2 weeks I was utterly miserable but then you can tell in the writing the mood lifting steadily over the next 2-3 weeks.
I agree on the journaling - journaling was a tool I learned to use in rehab. They gave us a template to use (because I was so messed up I was even stuck at the time on HOW to journal - lol)

That's a helpful suggestion. Paul, consider?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

It's against the rules to give medical advice, Paul.

As for the ER trips, essentially the binges ended abruptly, there was not enough booze left to taper, and I felt symptoms coming on that scared me. I knew I could possibly get into a very dangerous situation, and that I would need meds and professional monitoring to help me get through the withdrawal safely. Again, as so many have warned, it is *not* wise to taper--it is a desperate act, and takes serious control, which is typically precisely that which is lacking in an alcoholic.

As for the amounts of alcohol: pretty much all day, every day, for 7+ day stretches. "Going to sleep" = "passing out." "waking up" = "need to down some beers to stop my puking and prevent me from totally freaking out."

Alcoholism pure and simple. Everyone is different so far as withdrawal is concerned, there are a lot of variables, and only trained medical personnel know the proper and safe way to handle it. Otherwise you are playing with your life. Sounds to me like you've already had alcohol-related ER visits.

I would digest of all the sage advice you have received in this thread. The decision is ultimately yours to take, but having been there, all of us care.

Being sick from alcohol is something I wish to recover from. Listening to the kind souls here, who have suffered in the same way, has helped me immensely, as has going to AA meetings (the path I chose, one among many).

Take care of yourself, and strive to be brutally honest with yourself.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't see any good to be gained from this thread to continue in this fashion.

Thread closed.

D