Notices

Getting past day 4

Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting past day 4

It's still just day 2 for me but I dread day 4. I have never been able to get past day 4. My mind will start coming up with excuses and reasons for drinking, I will feel extremely sick and be in a crappy mood.

I also generally act crazy.. because it's just how I am. Saying weird things, jumping around and make strange faces. People always go "oh you have been drinking" on me about it. Tell me that I lie when I say I haven't, asking why I deny it and such. It always pisses me off to the point where I just think "**** it, why stay sober then?" and go drink till I pass out.

However I am a bit more optimistic since I can log in here and talk to people. Rather than listen to people who don't believe that I'm actually fighting here.

But any advice on how to get past day 4? I know its still 2 days away but I cant get my mind off it and I want to be prepared.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think each of us has a day we dreaded or a day we felt better and fell back into old behaviour...but posting and reading the support here always helped me.

It really makes a difference when you know you have support and you're not alone I think

I'm sure you can do this Fatale

D
Old 06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

It helps to understand that the "addictive" part of us will come to the fore when we feel better. Having a plan for how to deal with it helps.

It is "normal" to be in two minds about it all when I was trying to get sober. In time the whole addictive side fades, but early on it is at its strongest.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fatale View Post
It's still just day 2 for me but I dread day 4. I have never been able to get past day 4.
You're just setting yourself up to drink on day 4....You're giving yourself an excuse to drink. Get honest with yourself about whether or not you want to never drink again...If that's what you honestly want...You'll make it to day five.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Fatale View Post
However I am a bit more optimistic since I can log in here and talk to people. Rather than listen to people who don't believe that I'm actually fighting here.

Awesome. Like others are saying, you CAN get past not only the day four thing, but many, many more days ahead, too.

At first, early days can be a real struggle, and talking things out with others going thru the same, and others having been where you are now, and they are now happily sober, talking and sharing back n forth, doing so is VERY helpful to get past the early days.

Yeah, you can do this too!