Notices

getting help but more anxious than ever, is it normal

Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting help but more anxious than ever, is it normal

its so weird the way im reacting at the minute, im getting help but im more anxious than ever and the anxiety is so excruciating that i feel breathless, heart racing and like i need to be physically sick and feel like im dying. my boyfrind had to calm me down last night because i had an attack. i have drank heavily for 9 years and seemed fine when i was in denial but since admitting i have a problem i have been so ill with anxiety. iv been even worse the last week since i got told to not stop drinking and i wonder wether its down to the fact that now iv realised im not given the choice wether to drink or not but realising my body is needing it. how long can it take to get into detox, i have an appointment with a nurse tomorow to assess me and she will then organise me for detox but i cant take another day of this so if i beg will she get me straight in?????
Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings? What "help" are you referring to ?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-17-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can;t answer your questions on detox sharp - I'm not in the UK and I'd imagine there are a lot of individual factors they'd consider.

Anxiety is very very normal tho...try and not let it freak you out too much - stay around, close to SR, read and post - find things to occupy your mind and your time at home....today will pass

Best of luck for tomorrow too
Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just sending you lots of love! So happy that you are getting help tomorrow and I can guarantee that it is for the better! I will be praying for you
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well i have to see a nurse tomorrow who is going to assess me and send me to detox, i need detox as im suffering withdrawl when i dont drink. then after detox i want to do rehab. its just horrible having to wait around and the more im waiting the worse im getting so im dreading the nurse sending me home tomorrow and then not sending me to detox til a week or so later, so i just wanna know how long it will take for me to get to detox. will i have to go on a waiting list or can she just send me straight there?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is it normal to feel anxious now you've stopped drinking? Yes, yes it is. I've been more scared and anxious since I quit than I was when I was drinking. Or rather, when I was buzzed. When it wore off, I was pretty bad.
I don't know how long you've been quit. I'm told it gets better. As for me I'm waiting for a referral to the alcohol support services. I'm just glad that they didn't send me back to my GP to be honest. Thought I was going to get bounced from pillar to post to post to pillar... Relieved to find I wasn't. Maybe they'll give me something, maybe they won't. But till then, I'm hanging in there one day at a time.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in the UK Sharp, but I didn't go into detox so I have no idea how it works. Try not to worry about it or second guess what might happen though as that is not going to help you tonight. *Hugs* I hope it all works out well for you x
Old 06-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

malkavian i havnt stopped as i was told not to as its dangerous but i have still had sever panic attacks thrrough the day when sober. iv had drink tonight and i feel fine but bring on tomorrow and im back to square 1 with the panic attacks. thanks hypo thats the advice my boyfriend has been giving me, he said im going to panic more if i feel it isnt going to work and to believe it will work. im just terriefied that my anxiety wont go away once detoxed as im unsure wether i start drinking through anxiety or wether drink has caused anxiety(as iv done it for so long) .im scared my anxiety may return after detox and i wont be able to turn to drink.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's many of us who've had to deal with anxiety once we quit - it can be a little uncomfortable but it's not an insurmountable thing, in my experience.
There's a lot of help and support around.

You may even find, as many people do, once you quit drinking entirely your anxiety level will recede

again try not to worry - you're getting help - this is a good thing
D
Old 06-17-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For what it's worth my anxiety has almost disappeared since I stopped drinking. I was having panic attacks pretty much daily but have only had one since I quit. And the only severe anxiety I have had has been rational anxiety, like when I told my family I was an alcoholic, and before my first AA meeting. It wasn't the random blind panic that I had when drinking. Things will get better Sharp x
Old 06-17-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i get that hypo just random attacks, just sat watching the tv and i can all of a sudden get panicky. times when iv had an attack im thinking what on earth has happened for me to get like this. it just comes out of the blue with no triggers, its awful
Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had terrible anxiety, too. It was caused by my drinking habits, mostly. I thought alcohol was calming my nerves - but it had the opposite effect. Everything settled down after awhile. Once it's out of your system, there's no reason why you won't begin to calm down. Good that you're getting professional help - everything is going to get better.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had awful anxiety as well. Drinking made it much worse, but I found when I stopped drinking, it became manageable. Have faith that you are doing the right thing and you will feel better.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sharp - one of the reasons I decided to quit drinking is because my anxiety had gotten completely out of control the day after I drank. It had gotten to the point I couldn't leave the house some days. I'm only 4 days sober but already my anxiety is much less and I'm starting to feel normal again. So hang in there, after detox hopefully your anxiety will lessen if not go away completely.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was to the point of getting panic attacks after every weekend at about 2pm at work, see your doc, he/she might be able to help you out until you get to detox, i know how panic attacks work, ben there many times