Notices

I was thinking i should have a couple drinks

Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was thinking i should have a couple drinks

Lately I've been doing some reading and kept hearing that a little alcohol is beneficial to our healths, so the last few days I've been thinking, well, maybe if i can keep it down to 1 or 2, i can take advantage of all the good things alcohol has to offer, then yesterday i was on my way to pick up the gf and was thinkin, ok, should i get some beer or scotch whiskey? hmm, sitting at a light, then i look at the light a little closer, and behind it was a billboard size sign "Huther-Doyle" it's a addiction treatment center, oops, I guess that was an omen, so i thought, i better not, then I'm drivin along, still thinkin, hmm, beeeeer..... (like on the Simpsons) then a light went on in my head, 2 beers ain't gonna be a good idea, it's not gonna do it, and why??? but for some stupid reason, i'm still not afraid..
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dan....Meet Insanity.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's the hiss of the snake
Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im sick like that. You know its funny....my brain can recollect food I dont like, medicine that makes me sick but for whatever reason the pain, sickness, irresponsibility, guilt, shame, depression etc... that I get from drinking I can never recall until I do it again.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are thinking of red wine but it's not from the alcohol but from the antioxidant. Which that said you can get that from different grapes. You should not be drinking if you have an alcohol problem.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Dan... look at your euphoric recall, play the whole tape in your head. It's never "just" one or two, and the aftermath is a car-crash.

Have you some sort of program in place? If I feel like this I read everything in sight, all the relapse info and symptoms, and work whatever program I'm doing. I plan it all out.

You've done the best thing starting this thread here, keep working at being sober.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I went through a similar brain process a year or two ago...red wine is good for me! and then I reasoned that purple grape juice has the antioxidants, and most likely cider vinegar or red wine vinegar has the rest...so...

For me, the benefits of NOT drinking far outweigh whatever miniscule benefits a drink might provide.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Dan....Meet Insanity.
and powerlessness and unmanagability.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if it is just red wine. But even if it was, that wouldn't make me want to drink it. I don't drink... wine. Actually I don't drink anymore. But when I was drinking it was beer, or whisky or vodka. Not wine. Why not? Partially inverted snobbery, I guess. I didn't like the 'sophisticated' image, the nonsense about it that I heard people come out with on cookery programs, the language that surrounded it.
But, like I say, I don't drink anymore. Not going to drink again. At least, not today.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done for staying away from it! I've had one or two fleeting moments where I've thought "one won't hurt" but I just remember what it's done to me and how I was when I drank and it's enough to get that thought WELL away. I know, deep down, that one does hurt, because one is never just one and I'm so much better off without it that I think "what's the point in one, anyway?" There are far better things to eat and drink that are way better for your body... what they don't say when they say that there are benefits to drinking alcohol is that there are FAR MORE negatives... stay strong!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, really, i needed that. But isn't it weird, I was just about to buy some booze, then look up and see a rehab sign, it was like a scary movie. I'm getting signs from all around too. I was just outside working on my truck to stay busy and the neighbor friends were partin it up, talking loud, the sounds of people reachin into a cooler full of beer and ice and water swishing around in it, girls laughing, sunny, nice weather, boats going by, I'm on vacation,,, so I was in my shed and i hear this thump, thump, thump-thump-thump, i go outside and there's a guy on the ground that couldn't get up, he had walked into the back wall of my shed, and i'm thinkin, he's probably drunk and I helped him up, but he said he had MS and that he walks funny. here he is, probably doesn't even drink and i want to ruin my health.

I don't think I'm gonna drink but maybe, I almost did out on the lake yesterday cause the beverage i had, tasted like metal cans. I did read all the posts over three times and thank you all very much,

no plan in sight, just a plan to stay busy and not drink, I never did drink wine cause it gave me headaches, scotch whiskey or beer was my doc. yea, I'm sure the good effects wouldn't be worth it, the addiction tried to get in via "good effects" and i do play the tape to the end, but I have noticed, when getting urges, good judgement goes to the wind, no thoughts of being sensible. thanks again.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I have noticed, when getting urges, good judgement goes to the wind, no thoughts of being sensible
General rule of thumb: any thought of alcohol that makes it sound positive is a lie. You have to nip those in the bud - sometimes I just had to yell "stop!" in my mind when those thoughts came up. I also had to do something every day to stay motivated so that when the urges did come up I was better prepared.

It's not easy in the first weeks/months........but the bottom line is that sooner or later, we have to accept that we're alcoholics and that means we just can't drink - ever. Zilch. Don't even consider it for a second. Those urges are just part of your past addictive thinking coming up, but you don't have to listen!
Old 06-17-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

artsoul, you've just reminded me... there was a thread where people posted back to someone with cravings where the general theme was "alcohol is just off the table. You can't drink. Remove it from the agenda".

Not sure why but that's really helped me. When I'm feeling really bad now I think that thought and then the next step I think is.. "so, what you going to do now, your old way out is not an option. How are you going to deal with that feeling and your life in general?".

I can't remember who said it... whoever it was... big thanks.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

It is funny that our disease can tell us something that is off the wall, how many other healthy things that we can do or eat or even drink that doesn't have any alcohol in it. Our disease wants us drunk and will try every avenue to get there! Good for you for telling on it and keep telling on it. If that voice has some weird notion to drink for whatever reason remember about control. Were you actually controling drinking or was it controling you, yeah you might control it for a little while but don't you usually end up in the same place as many times before. As alcoholics there can be no doubt at all because if we cross that line we can die that is what happens to alcoholicd thaa don't stay stopped.

Keep coming back and keep telling on yourself, God bless!
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been doing some reading and kept hearing that a little alcohol is beneficial to our healths,
Not if you're an alcoholic Dan

D
Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The voice kept telling me that if i didn't drink everyone would know i was an alcoholic. They would not be my friends anymore. Guess what? I told everyone i was on medication for a stomach complaint. They barely listened. They didn't give a monkey's ass i was drinking soda water and not beer. They were just happy to see me. Health benefits of booze? Beast talk. Bleurgh. See it for what it is! Xx