Notices

AA Elevator Pitch.....Inspired by Sapling

Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Elevator Pitch.....Inspired by Sapling

I have seen a lot of posts recently about the virtues of AA as a bonafide program of recovery amongst others. I also know that a lot of people have somewhat of a stand-offish attitude towards it. As a marketing man, i was wondering what the elevator pitch could be that immediately captures folks heart and mind in a manner that builds trust to consider trying. (Sapling - this hit me in one of your responses where you started with "what if I told you...")

Here is my best stab at it (others, please try your own):

What if you could recover from alcoholism in a way that addresses the demons of fear, resentment, self pity and worth; all the things that lead you to the next drink, would you listen? Would you listen to the experience of millions of people over 70 years who stand nothing to gain from your sobriety but your sobriety? The fellowship of AA is comprised of people who have walked in your shoes, carried your burdens and experienced your pains; and want to share their recovery with you.

Let's see what others come up with.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please, we do not need another thread that puts one recovery program vs other programs.

Let's carry on and move forward in our own recovery.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

I really like it. You have a skill.

I notice a lot of posts that indicate people are telling themselves they drink because of issues in their lives and the attendant stress eg job, boss, partner, facing court, finances, life changes, house move, landlord trouble etc etc. Now never seems to be a good time to change for this group

The other common theme is that people drink because of an underlying emotional state (usually depressed and anxious), or they can't sleep and there is a hope that the right medication, right doctor (if they can just get in to see him) will remove this problem for them without change on their part.

Then there is the group who discount the miracle of the universe and their very existence and have issues with handing over to a God of their choosing.

Do you think you can you pitch to these people as well?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
What if you could recover from alcoholism in a way that addresses the demons of fear, resentment, self pity and worth; all the things that lead you to the next drink, would you listen? Would you listen to the experience of millions of people over 70 years who stand nothing to gain from your sobriety but your sobriety? The fellowship of AA is comprised of people who have walked in your shoes, carried your burdens and experienced your pains; and want to share their recovery with you.

That's good.....How much does it cost?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Please, we do not need another thread that puts one recovery program vs other programs.

Let's carry on and move forward in our own recovery.
Hunh? Wow Anna, I think you are missing the spirit and intent of this post. I'm sorry to have caused such an virulent response from you.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A sober day is a great day....anyway, whatever way...
Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's my experience that threads like this usually end up the same way.

I hope that won't happen this time.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Haha I like it ML.

Here's mine:

Feel a little crazy? Come to AA. You'll be in the right place.

lol
Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The elevater is broken, please take the steps.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Cool! I would only add at the end what we say in our meetings ...

"It costs nothing to join, but if you don't like us, we'll gladly refund your misery."
Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Where's that old fart?....He must have a couple good ones.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can turn you on to something that will help you learn how to be happy, joyous, and free.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
The elevater is broken, please take the steps.

LM frikin AO. Awuh1, this deserved a rim shot behind it. Perfect.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

In early recovery one of my posts included this one:
"I joined AA and just being able to talk without covering up exactly what I was and had done with others that accepted me for what I will be, not what I had been, was simply amazing."
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

I paid a very high price to earn my seat in a meeting.... and at times, a place to stand....
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"Attraction rather than promotion"

AA operates completely different than any other business or group I've ever seen. I don't care if we're talking about powerhouse religions like Catholosism, or large corporations like Coca-Cola, or your home owners association, AA is more legit than all of them.

It's legit because nobody gets power. They don't demand money. They don't tell you to conform to their ideas. They don't exclude anyone. They are very clear about their primary purpose. "To help alcoholic achieve sobriety"

Every other group I know chases money. From the 700 club, to hospitals, to colleges, to local government, to golf courses, to parks, etc... ALL of them are in the business of making money. AA is in the business of helping a bunch of drunk get well and help one another.

The problem is, it takes a while to "get it". And by a while I mean a few years for me.

It's pretty cool and it's saving my life...
Old 06-16-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
I have seen a lot of posts recently about the virtues of AA as a bonafide program of recovery amongst others. I also know that a lot of people have somewhat of a stand-offish attitude towards it. As a marketing man, i was wondering what the elevator pitch could be that immediately captures folks heart and mind in a manner that builds trust to consider trying. (Sapling - this hit me in one of your responses where you started with "what if I told you...")

Here is my best stab at it (others, please try your own):

Let's see what others come up with.

I will be blunt, lol...I would personally be offput by this. It sounds like one of those guys in a suit and black tie approaching my front door to get me to join "them", then I would be slightly creeped out, say I'm busy, and close the door. LOL. A more casual "hey stop by and see if it works for you, what've you got to lose" would persuade me 100x better. No disrespect, just my opinion on it.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mwstylee - I dare say you are the first one to get it. One of the things I have been struggling with is just what you said...sounds like the shady sales guy that promises troves of gold. I agree about hearing even what I wrote and running. Let me preface with I believe every word and am trying to live every word in the BB. But when I hear people talk about AA, it just sounds too good to be true, and hence people dismiss it as being a scam or cult. The problem I have with your approach albeit unoffensve and not overly grandious is that if I am at rock bottom, I don't think that would be enough. I don't want to just see how it goes, I want to be saved.

This argument is in fact exactly what I was trying to stimulate! Thank you
Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
"Attraction rather than promotion"

AA operates completely different than any other business or group I've ever seen. I don't care if we're talking about powerhouse religions like Catholosism, or large corporations like Coca-Cola, or your home owners association, AA is more legit than all of them.

It's legit because nobody gets power. They don't demand money. They don't tell you to conform to their ideas. They don't exclude anyone. They are very clear about their primary purpose. "To help alcoholic achieve sobriety"

Every other group I know chases money. From the 700 club, to hospitals, to colleges, to local government, to golf courses, to parks, etc... ALL of them are in the business of making money. AA is in the business of helping a bunch of drunk get well and help one another.

The problem is, it takes a while to "get it". And by a while I mean a few years for me.

It's pretty cool and it's saving my life...
This is good...Hang this up somewhere.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awakening...

My elevator pitch is nice and short:
I can help you because I've been in the same hole as you are and I found a way out.