Notices

AA Elevator Pitch.....Inspired by Sapling

Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
The chance for inviting debate on a thread posted in the general discussion forum sharing personal benefit from using a certain approach should not imply that's the only approach, of course. But the mere chance an "approach specific" thread might benefit at least one person who read such a titled thread in the general discussion forum should be considered worthwhile. My .02 cents.
Well, we can have a debate on what should and shouldn't happen, but that will just prove my point and lock the thread, lol.

Newcomers are very sensitive, fearful, and ready to just forget about it, you know?

To also drag them into threads of no consequence, when there exists other forums for the AA message, is not a great way to go.

Your opinion is valuable, but is more valuable in the 12 step forum, when speaking about AA.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I didn't start this thread Robby...I think the guy that did left....If it's breaking any rules get rid of it...There is no AA forum....If you were new you wouldn't see one...I don't know Robbie....I guess I just don't know what a distracting thread is. Or why it would be up to you to tell me.
Yeah, I know you didn't Sapling, and i believe you really don't see what were talking about, no problemo. As for his leaving, we'll see how that evetually works out. If people leave because they must deal with differing opinions, then that is their choice, but of course, they don't have to leave, do they?

Up to me?

Well, the thread is a distraction to the purpose of a newcomer, and as I said, just my responding to you starts a debate, as you can see...

Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
The point simply was how can we communicate the message of AA in a light that might help peoplenconsider trying it.

there is very good suggestions in the Big Book on how to do this, all gained through practical experiece.
By that statement you want people with alcohol programs to join AA just to recurred people instead helping them find the RIGHT program (ART, SOS, SMART, AA, counseling) that will help them stay sober?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

No debate for me.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
No debate for me.
Sure, okay. Not a debate for you.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I expected at the beginning of this thread - I've been around here long enough to see this happen time and time again.

This thread is closed
Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm here today because people took time out to help me, advise me, and share their most private experiences of addiction and recovery with me...

I learned from them all - AAers, Christians,SMARTies, LifeRingers, AVRTers, and the lone wolves....

I think it's especially important we share that kind of multi stranded recovery in this Forum because its often people first taste of SR - and for many it may be their first taste of recovery.

What we say or do here can really make the difference between a fleeting visit and a regular contribution, or between a momentary thought and a lifelong commitment.

We want to hear about how whatever you did to save your life - because, like with me, that might just help others to save theirs too...

I understand why people want to post threads about the method that saved their life - but that can easily stop being personal sharing and become a political statement in itself.

Please be aware of that.

I'm sure everyone here is capable of drawing the distinctions here, and I'd ask everyone to do that in future.

I also understand why people want to return fire on some kinds of statements if they see them - but I'd ask everyone:

if you see a post that breaks the rules...stop..pause... and hand it over to the Forum Team and let us sort it out.

D