Notices

AA Elevator Pitch.....Inspired by Sapling

Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I thought Newcomers to Recovery section of the forum was for new people seeking help from their alcohol and/or drug problems and not a debate on how great my recovery program is better then others.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thread will be closed if the discussion continues in this vein.

As I said earlier,
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
I have seen a lot of posts recently about the virtues of AA as a bonafide program of recovery amongst others. I also know that a lot of people have somewhat of a stand-offish attitude towards it. As a marketing man, i was wondering what the elevator pitch could be that immediately captures folks heart and mind in a manner that builds trust to consider trying. (Sapling - this hit me in one of your responses where you started with "what if I told you...")

Here is my best stab at it (others, please try your own):

What if you could recover from alcoholism in a way that addresses the demons of fear, resentment, self pity and worth; all the things that lead you to the next drink, would you listen? Would you listen to the experience of millions of people over 70 years who stand nothing to gain from your sobriety but your sobriety? The fellowship of AA is comprised of people who have walked in your shoes, carried your burdens and experienced your pains; and want to share their recovery with you.

Let's see what others come up with.
Great thread, great post, spot on.

Glad you're on the boards!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Addiction is the result of complex interactions of biological, psychological and cultural factors; yet the most promising and successful interventions are psychosocial in nature. Powerful interpersonal experiences take advantage of those aspects of group process that foster human contact, self-examination, and self-expression. AA works because they stress the importance of human interdependence. They replace a chemical solution for disordered impulses, distress, and suffering with a human one.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is putting me off AA... and I'm about to go and make tea as doing service somewhere.

We may all have a drink problem, but there are different approaches, this is the newcomers board... I totally agree everyone needs go and work a program, and I'd always advise anyone to try AA. It is helping me. But it's one thing that is helping me, other things are as well.

And it doesn't work for everyone. And that's not just because you're doing it wrong.. we are different people, with one common thread (a drinking issue).

Do newcomers enjoy these threads? I'm new, and I don't. If others do.. fine.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't really see any threat to people from this thread...It's not knocking any other program...It's people talking about AA that use it...If AA is not for you...Don't read it...I'm not sure locking every thread that people mention what is working for them is the answer. What I think we need...Is more threads started for alternative recovery programs and how they have worked for people that use them.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I don't really see any threat to people from this thread...It's not knocking any other program...It's people talking about AA that use it...If AA is not for you...Don't read it...I'm not sure locking every thread that people mention what is working for them is the answer. What I think we need...Is more threads started for alternative recovery programs and how they have worked for people that use them.
You know, just in my answering to your post, I increase the likely hood of the thread being locked, because as we respond back and forth, we invite debate, no way around it. Others join in, and voila!

A pity you can't see the obvious risk and outcomes from such a thread, Sapling. I can accept you, and some others, just don't see it.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maybe I don't...If it was a thread on how AVRT or SMART or anything else had worked for me...I just wouldn't respond in it.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Maybe I don't...If it was a thread on how AVRT or SMART or anything else had worked for me...I just wouldn't respond in it.
Sure, okay, i understand, but do we really want a growing number of threads on the site that people just don't want to respond to, because it invites a debate?

I think not.

There are better conversatations then this thread will offer.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The point simply was how can we communicate the message of AA in a light that might help peoplenconsider trying it.

there is very good suggestions in the Big Book on how to do this, all gained through practical experiece.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
The point simply was how can we communicate the message of AA in a light that might help peoplenconsider trying it.

there is very good suggestions in the Big Book on how to do this, all gained through practical experiece.
Then have that discussion on in the 12 step forum, yeah?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Sure, okay, i understand, but do we really want a growing number of threads on the site that people just don't want to respond to, because it invites a debate?

I think not.

There are better conversatations then this thread will offer.

What if one person read this thread and went to a meeting today because of it?....Would that be enough? I just don't see any harm done here...
Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hope sharing firsthand personal benefits from using a certain approach (whatever approach that might be) would be encouraged in threads titled as such.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

What if one person read this thread and went to a meeting today because of it?....Would that be enough? I just don't see any harm done here...
The harm is that this forum is for newcomers, and there exists a forum for AA 12 step, so if a newcomer is interested in AA, guess what, they can look into that forum, okay?

Too many distracting posts in this forum, and all of a sudden its kind spilt up and disjoined, you know?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
I hope sharing firsthand personal benefits from using a certain approach (whatever approach that might be) would be encouraged in threads titled as such.
Personal experience, no matter how we have gained it, is, of course, at the end of the day, all we have to offer, anyways.

No need to make a big deal of one particular way, so as to attract newcomers, really is there?

Just sharing ourselves is enough, you know?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

The chance for inviting debate on a thread posted in the general discussion forum sharing personal benefit from using a certain approach should not imply that's the only approach, of course. But the mere chance an "approach specific" thread might benefit at least one person who read such a titled thread in the general discussion forum should be considered worthwhile. My .02 cents.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey MentalLoop, stay! For whatever reason my HP has me on this site as much as it winds up on my inventories, and you certainly would be helping to carry sunshine and the message to me if you stick around. As it has been referenced, I certainly hope this won't be another thread closed down that treats us like children; it seems to happen too often and if it continues I fear it will inspire further brain drain. Censorship on legitimate concepts is not the answer. I thought your first post was great. The BB is full of sales pitches from some business savvy alkies that knew that how we say things can be as important as what we say. You're a gift, and you're carrying a priceless solution that I know works. If someone has a problem with it, I hope their method of staying sober has a way of dealing with resentments. If not, I know one that does. By the way, I traveled a fair distance to attend a great group in Queens. Loved it! Much love and encouragement to you.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Recovering

I just don't see any harm done here...
I think one danger of pushing one approach al little too enthusiastically (which perhaps an 'elevator pitch' could be seen as) may be an unintended undermining of other ways, or perhaps an unintended exclusion of people who use a way other than AA (or whatever approach is being pitched).

I'm sure that would be unintended though.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
The harm is that this forum is for newcomers, and there exists a forum for AA 12 step, so if a newcomer is interested in AA, guess what, they can look into that forum, okay?

Too many distracting posts in this forum, and all of a sudden its kind spilt up and disjoined, you know?

I didn't start this thread Robby...I think the guy that did left....If it's breaking any rules get rid of it...There is no AA forum....If you were new you wouldn't see one...I don't know Robbie....I guess I just don't know what a distracting thread is. Or why it would be up to you to tell me.