Notices

14th DUI :-0

Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14th DUI :-0

BOISE -- There's been strong local reaction to a story about a Boise man recently convicted of his 14th DUI. Many ask: “How is it that someone with even 13 DUIs is still behind the wheel?”

After two hours of deliberation on Tuesday, an Ada County jury found 55-year-old Terry Ash guilty of his 14th DUI.

Ada County prosecutor Shelly Armstrong handled Ash's case. She said Ash's first DUI came 36 years ago in 1976. By 1993, he had eight DUIs. Each one of those DUIs were misdemeanors.

However, beginning in the mid-1990s in Idaho, DUI laws began to change.
In 1995, Ash received his first felony DUI. Armstrong says he was then sentenced to a "boot camp" for DUI offenders.

Then in 1996, Ash got two more DUIs -- one in Ada County, and another one in Canyon County. The judge in Ada County sentenced Ash to five years in prison. He was eligible for parole after two years.

Canyon County also sentenced him to five years in prison. He was eligible for parole after two-and-a-half-years. Ash served those terms concurrently for a total of two-and-a-half years in prison. His probation for those DUIs ended in 2001.

In 2002, A got his 12th DUI, landing Ash in prison for another three years.
In 2005, Ash received his 13th DUI conviction, and spent five years in prison.
Ash’s 14th DUI happened on Sept. 4, 2011. That's when police arrested him for crashing his car near Kuna. Four hours after the crash, officers recorded his blood alcohol content at 0.13.

In all, Ash has served roughly ten-and-a-half years in prison for his last five DUIs.

Ash's attorney, Brian Boyle, says his client is now considering appeal options, but couldn't go into more details because of the appeal process.
We contacted prosecutors and attorneys to ask about this case, but none would go on camera to explain how any driver could manage to rack-up 14 DUIs.

Ash is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 22. Because he's technically classified as a "repeat offender," Ash faces up to life in prison for his 14th DUI conviction.

Public outcry over Boise man's 14th DUI | KTVB.COM Boise
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This tells me that the penal system sucks . Most people are in there because of drugs or alcohol in some way or another. Rehabilitation needs to br required and they should go to sober living when they get out.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think it's broken. It's just someone who just don't want to stop or at least not drink and drive.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I have one DUI. My first and last! I learned from my mistake and sought help. This guy is just a reckless criminal that should be locked up for good.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He is obviously an alcoholic. Why not spend yhr money trying to treat him. Maybe many lives could be saved.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Give him the option to take the drug antabuse (so he gets physically sick if he drinks) and have his blood levels checked daily (or as often as necessary). Make him wear one of those devices that have a radio transmitter locked on him to keep track of where he is if he tries to run. Would cost the state alot less than prizon time.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

My mother lost a friend who had just gotten married and had baby because of a person like this. She was killed and her dog that was in the car. Miraculously her small infant in the car survived. I just dont understand why you'd WANT to keep getting behind the wheel. Jeez.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
He is obviously an alcoholic. Why not spend yhr money trying to treat him. Maybe many lives could be saved.
You can only help someone if they want to help themselves. I think they should offer this option to him. Just say "Listen, heres the deal, you lose your license and you're going to rehab and you will commit yourself to a program of recovery, or you spend the rest of your life in prison"

I think that's a fair choice.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Give him the option to take the drug antabuse (so he gets physically sick if he drinks) and have his blood levels checked daily (or as often as necessary). Make him wear one of those devices that have a radio transmitter locked on him to keep track of where he is if he tries to run. Would cost the state alot less than prizon time.
True, it could cost less, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth knowing that my tax dollars are going toward his antabuse prescription, paying for his blood tests, and buying him fancy transmitter devices. All the while he gets to live a normal life. Personally, I would vote to lock this dummy up. The cost is offset by my satisfaction knowing that he's lost his freedom.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

greatful its not me and greatful to know it could be me.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, never would have expected such responses from people who know why quitting ain't easy. Maybe they should offer him treatment from other drunks while in jail this go around. I don't believe anybody is hopeless.