Notices

Sobriety Rocks!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Sobriety Rocks!!!

As I am reading through all the threads in newcomers, I am reminded daily of the struggle to see through the iron curtain of alcohol. In the thick of it, it pervasively envelopes our lives without our consent or knowledge, robbing us of true joy and happiness.

It put me in the throe's of a deep depression that had me despairing for my very life, and stole any semblence of decency in my life, particularly my family life. No one respected me, starting with myself.

Today, over 10 month later, I am happy, joyous, and free. I can recognize and acknowledge the blessings of my Creator, and have restored family relationships, and zest for life. I've re-established a zeal for my career. I see blessings in life, and am grateful for them.

That deep, dark depression? GONE! Yes, I had to take antidepressants, but they didn't work when I was drinking. Within a matter of months of stopping, I was off the AD's. And am now off almost all meds.

As difficult as it may appear to be right now for the newcomers, please see the life beyond the struggle. It will take less time than you realize.

Here is my suggestion:

Consider yourself a caterpillar. You are building a cocoon, insulating yourself from life around you, until you are ready to face it again. At that moment, you break free from the cocoon, and re-discover life again. And, guess what...you've got wings of freedom this time! What an amazing metamorphosis it is to commit to a sober life.

DO THE HARD WORK TO GET THERE!!! It's completely amazing and worth it!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, Lofty!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
DO THE HARD WORK TO GET THERE!!! It's completely amazing and worth it!
What's the hard work?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wow - awesome post, Lofty!!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Sacrifice of old habits, people, and places. Starting over. Radical self-improvement and dogged determination. Avoiding missiles that sabotage sobriety. Finding yourself, and your spirituality. Centering your life. Picking a program. Making new sober friends. Essentially, questioning everything, and replacing much of everything in your life.

But, knowing you, Sapling, I just took your bait; hook, line, and sinker (Joking, of course)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiring post LoftyIdeals x