Notices

How to get through the first 30 days?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Question How to get through the first 30 days?

I am on day seven of quitting my opiate addiction. Im not having withdrawals because my latest relapse did not last very long. I'm just looking for tips and support on how to make it to at least day 30.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to one NA meeting every day...Two would be better...Get the book and read it...Get a sponsor to call every day...Get other phone numbers and use them...Check in here everyday...Pray...Get some excercise...Eat and sleep well...And you'll make it to day 30.

PS...Don't pick up no matter what!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

What worked for me in the very early days was changing my routines. My hardest time was early evening after supper, so I pushed myself out the door and began taking long walks. It was so helpful on many levels. It was almost like giving my brain a chance to begin to work on 'normal' levels again.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Go to one NA meeting every day...Two would be better...Get the book and read it...Get a sponsor to call every day...Get other phone numbers and use them...Check in here everyday...Pray...Get some excercise...Eat and sleep well...And you'll make it to day 30.

PS...Don't pick up no matter what!

I do have the NA Basic Text and It Works: How and Why and I read them daily. I may be able to get to a meeting tomorrow.
I've made it to day 28 TWICE and slipped both times.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Here are some tips that helped me, they may help you, they may not, but it can't hurt to give em a try!

1. Go to meetings, try to make one a day.
2. Fill up all of your free time with things to do. Puzzles, models, some kind of project that will keep your mind off of drugs/booze.
3. Watch a lot of movies. (this falls under the same keeping busy category!)
4. Exercise.
5. TALK TO OTHER ADDICTS! IT HELPS A LOT! this is the most important tip i can give you. Hang out here on SR, we have an online meeting tonight at 9 in the chatroom.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get a sponsor with some time...At least three years...And hang on tight. Tell your sponsor you have a hard time at the 28 day mark...And then get by it. No way you can get to a meeting today?....How bad do you want to do this?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It helped me a lot to come here and read every day - for a while it's how I started and ended my days. I've spent entire days here..... The mental part is the hardest and it doesn't go away just because we stop using/drinking - it takes time to get to the point where we don't have that knee-jerk response anymore.

It might help to identify why you go back to using again. For example, what need are you filling with drugs? If you can see those things as separate issues, you can start looking for better solutions, . Maybe NA, or AVRT are enough and maybe they're not. Maybe both plus counseling will do it for you. (I think I saw that you were close to Athens, GA? I know that UGA has mental health services like a lot of universities and it will probably cost next to nothing.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What worked for me - getting on SR nonstop, exercising, books/documentaries about recovery, going to bed early, and when the going got tough telling myself to knock it off and just focus on my decision to stay sober today (and step away from the "omg I cannot do this forever becase of xyz"). I even sometimes broke the day up into sections - telling myself I was not going to drink this afternoon, this evening, this night, etc.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: i live in my own world, but it's okay, they know me here...
Have you looked into accupuncture? A close friend of mine owns her own practice and a great deal of her clients were once addicts. I'm a huge fan of accupuncture - I wouldn't be here without it. It truly has a calming effect on the mind and body. It's worth a shot! You might find yourself not feeling stressed about what "day you're on" and just go with the flow of abstinence.