Notices

Day 6 or 7.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 or 7.

Hello. I'm new here. On day 7 of sobriety (I think. It could be day 6. I genuinely can't remember whether I drank some beer to take the edge off my last whisky hangover).

It's my second attempt at recovery. Last year I did exactly 2 months. When the 2 months were up, I shared a bottle of wine to celebrate. It took about a week to get back in the grip of daily, destructive drinking, retching, sweats, emotional isolation and the rest.

This time I sobered up because I had to. I needed to squeeze the time out of my day to meet a deadline. It has been quite amazing - almost like picking up my last attempt at recovery where I left off.

This time I'm not looking ahead and planning a drink weeks ahead. I'm just taking it one day at a time. And already I'm regaining interest in books, people, exercise - and starting to feel the green shoots of health.

I'm still fragile. But I'm reading and learning from other people's experience. That's why I'm here. To learn. What frightens me most is that the enthusiasm and novelty of sobriety will wear off - or that I'll kid myself I'm cured.

So 'hello'. I hope to learn from some of you soon. I'll be listening.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Many of us are winning over alcohol useing a variety of methods/concepts
and structured programs. This can be true for you too..
Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey CW,
Welcome, I'm glad you are joining. I have found the people on this site are a very helpful and caring bunch.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome! I'll stick around and learn. And today's shaping up to be another drink free one... :-)
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on your week of sobriety

The novelty of being sober still hasn't worn off for me (2 and a half months) - I still get random thoughts of WOW! I wouldn't have felt/thought/done that if I was still drinking. I will be sat with people who are drinking and instead of wishing that I could have one, I am feeling proud that I don't... perhaps the novelty will wear off over time, but I'm hoping if that does happen, the norm for me then will be to not drink, and it will be something I am used to. We can't predict the future and how we will think, so let us do one day at a time - and you've done seven! Woo. So long as you fear that you will one day think you will be 'cured' then you will not believe that. It's when the fear dwindles and we become complacent there is a problem, but for now focus on what you have achieved and how much better the world seems... congrats again! See you around.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Copywriter. Welcome to SR!

It took about a week to get back in the grip of daily, destructive drinking, retching, sweats, emotional isolation and the rest.
Yeah, it's always the same for us. I've read thousands of posts here; never once seen someone return to light drinking. Not once. Sometimes it takes a week, sometimes a couple months, but seems like gravity always pulls us back down to our past levels.

But here's the good news: once I really embraced the idea of never drinking again, it stopped feeling like I was missing out on something, holding back, depriving myself in some way. Sobriety is not a sacrifice; it's a gift. Waking up feeling good about myself, taking care of my responsibilities, being free to go where I please, when I please, without having to plan and scheme around alcohol, climbing back into bed at the end of the day for a good, peaceful night's sleep—that's sobriety. And that's why drinking again would be the real sacrifice for me.

I'm not missing out on anything. But wow, the stuff I'd miss if I started drinking again...

Since you're rediscovering books, check out "Dry" when you get a chance, by Augusten Burroughs. He was an alcoholic copywriter before he turned his childhood and adult traumas into a successful career as an author. Good stuff—witty and engaging!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
check out "Dry" when you get a chance, by Augusten Burroughs. He was an alcoholic copywriter before he turned his childhood and adult traumas into a successful career as an author. Good stuff—witty and engaging!
Thank you! I'll see whether I can get it on the Kindle this evening. I have read a lot over the last week - I find it supportive. The most useful and inspiring book I've read on alcoholism so far is Goodbye Mr Wonderful by Chris McCully, a poet and university lecturer who started his successful recovery in 1999.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey CW

Well one thing I think you noted already , there is no one drink for a lot of us. I can't even count how many times I should not have opened that door as it ends up the same way ....obsessed , intoxicated and the rest.

As CarolD mentioned lots of different programs and help available to get past that first drink for the rest of our lives. I think they all have a lot of good information and tactics on working on staying sober and recovery.

You say you stopped because you needed to make a deadline at work. Do you think you and alcohol are done?

I altered my drinking to do the same in the past and once I had side stepped whatever it was , went back. I can only speak for me , but I needed something deep down and fundamental to make me want to get off the crazy train of drinking.

Trust me I'd like anyone who has a drinking issue to make the break for sobriety and stay there but from what I read , it has to be motivated from a deep place inside the sufferer.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What frightens me most is that the enthusiasm and novelty of sobriety will wear off - or that I'll kid myself I'm cured.
Like you said, just keep it today - I found that it's actually a better approach to my whole life! A little fear isn't all that bad, though - knowing the ways addiction can trick us can keep us from getting sucked in.

As to the novelty of sobriety wearing off, I know what you mean, but there's not much novelty when we're drinking if you think about it. It's a world that gets smaller and smaller.

Congrats on your week sober!!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YVRguy View Post
You say you stopped because you needed to make a deadline at work. Do you think you and alcohol are done?
Thank you so much for you advice.

I don't know whether I'm done or not. All I know is that, unlike the last time, I'm approaching it right. Last time I was thinking "I'll stop for a month." Then I thought "I'll stop for another month". Then I thought "I've done two months, I'll celebrate with a glass of wine..."

This time, I'm just waking up each day and saying "I won't drink today". And not really thinking further ahead, beyond having a desire to stop for good.

There's an irony in the "I won't drink today" approach, though, don't you think? It's almost like the mirror image of the addictive voice saying "Go on. Just the one drink", except it's saying "Go on. Just the one day".

But if it works, that suits me :-)

So to answer you, I don't know whether I'm done. I just know I won't drink today. And I think I'll say the same thing tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
As to the novelty of sobriety wearing off, I know what you mean, but there's not much novelty when we're drinking if you think about it. It's a world that gets smaller and smaller.
Thank you Artsoul. Luckily I haven't hit that hurdle yet.

Last time I quit, I'm pretty sure PAWS was kicking in. That was probably a factor in starting again, but not the whole reason. But I also wasn't taking any exercise, or eating particularly brilliantly — so maybe those will help me weather it if it kicks in again.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with today. And it's looking like a good one ;-)
Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Copywriter View Post
I don't know whether I'm done or not.
You have to figure you are stopping for a reason....Probably because it's not working for you anymore. Once we cross that line that's it's not working...There really is no going back...You don't go back to where it was fun and trouble free. It is progressive...Which means it get's worse...Never better. Whether you're drinking or not...It progresses.
Some people need to reach a bottom to make the decision whether they are done or not. My bottom was losing my wife...My house...My job....My self worth...And almost my sanity and my life. That's when I decided I was done. You're bottom can be whenever you decide to stop digging. That's up to you...As it was for me.
You say you like to read...Do yourself a favor and read The Doctors Opinion and Chapter's one through three of this book....A great read on alcoholism. If you like it I'd read the whole book...It saved my life. Congrats on one week to you...Word of advice...When you get to 2 months....Find a different way to celebrate. And I'm glad you are at least taking a look at the pros and cons of alcohol.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 06-15-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
.Do yourself a favor and read The Doctors Opinion and Chapter's one through three of this book....A great read on alcoholism. If you like it I'd read the whole book...It saved my life.
Thank you. I will. And thank you for the advice. I'm really glad it saved your life :-)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Copywriter View Post
Thank you. I will. And thank you for the advice. I'm really glad it saved your life :-)
So am I.