Notices

5 weeks sober

Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 weeks sober

Hi everyone...

I am 5 weeks sober today. I've never posted before but reading other people's post have really helped me over the past weeks. I'm not going to any AA meetings. I'm not against them... I just have no way of going to the meetings with 4 small children and my husband's work schedule. I could really use some honesty. Is it normal to question whether you were an alcoholic or not? Is it normal to think since I was able to quit cold turkey and its been 5 weeks, then maybe it really wasn't a problem? I'm not trying to make up excuses and by the end things were really bad but does your mind really play tricks on you making you think it wasn't really as bad as it was? Does that make any sense what I'm asking?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just hit the 5 week mark and have had the same thoughts. It's the alcoholic voice talking. I know I can drink like a "normal" person for a while; I've done it. But at some point I will end up drinking every day and things will be bad again.

If you have to ask if your drinking was a problem, you should probably avoid the drink. Also, there is really nothing to gain from drinking, but there is everything to lose. Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, the mind does play tricks, in my experience, I have had many relapses...there have been periods where I have remained sober up to a year...so, if you think you have an issue with drinking, do whatever works best for you to not pick up the first drink...for me it always ends in sorrow...good luck...take care of yourself...
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

Well done on your sober time....there is nothing I can think of
that is a better gift to you and your family...

Blessings to all of you
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelle83 View Post
I could really use some honesty. Is it normal to question whether you were an alcoholic or not?
I did that for about 35 years...Until I lost everything I had....And while I was questioning it...My drinking progressed....Up to the point I almost died from it. Sorry to hear you can't make it to any AA meetings. That's what worked for me. I figure if I can manage to find time and a way to drink every day...I can time and a way to get to AA. Somebody asked me the other day....Do you plan on going to AA for the rest of your life?...I don't know....Would you ask somebody that goes to church that? Find something that works for you...And work at it...Nothing good comes from alcohol.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If someone didn't have a problem with drinking alcohol. Would they question themselves as to whether or not they had a drinking problem? Hmmm. I wonder. :O)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, yes, yes and yes to all your questions. I wasted another year going on and off the booze just to see if I could be a normal drinker or to have it how it used to be. It just kept getting worse. Won't go back this time. All the best to u!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have things been netter or worse the last 5 weeks?

My drinking (and many others on here) was progressive. I didnt have a problem per se 10 years ago but it slowly became a destructive monster over time. Its better to nip it in the bud now my friend.

Glad youre here!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Michelle 5 weeks sober! You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Although AA is an important reason I am 1 year 11 months sober you can quit drinking anyway.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Firstly, congrats on your five weeks! I'll be honest with you - I've been exactly where you are, and questioned all those things, and every time it got worse. Every time I stopped drinking then started again, my drinking was worse than the time before. It's a vicious circle and, I think, it's so much better to just stop than to constantly 'test' yourself. People say that if you have to question whether you have a problem, then you probably do. I don't know whether that's true or not, but it definitely means that something about your drinking has made you worry. Whether that means you are an alcoholic, or someone who drinks too much, or someone who makes mistakes when drinking - you have done things through drinking in the past that has made you question whether you have a problem, and that's the major issue. It is very normal to kid yourself after you've been 'good' for a while, try to tell yourself that because you can give up, you haven't got a problem. Because you've gone five weeks without alcohol then of course you don't have a problem, or you'd have needed a drink - right? Well, wrong. People who go on diets and then allow themselves to go back to their old habits generally end up the same weight as they were, if not heavier. Good luck and all the best!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Here's things to think about: (rhetorical questions)

Why did you stop in the beginning?

Why did you make it to 5 weeks?

What makes you think things will be different?

Every 30 days our bodies go through changes. Somewhere around each new month, our brains think we can go back to drinking normally. We didn't work on staying stopped for no reason. Life was difficult. Life was going down hill. Now the brain wants it's alcohol back. That brain is not used to feeling good, or happy, or content, or serene. Wow, that brain really likes to feel terrible, doesn't it? That is insanity there. No hangover? Really, the brain wants that back???? Yes, it does. Do you?

You are so normal at 5 weeks. With 4 children at home, keep staying stopped. You can do this. Private message me if you want some sites for an online sponsor or meeting.

Meanwhile, take a listen to xa-speakers.org. They are recorded AA talks. Marty M., Marty J., Sandy B., Paul O., Bea M. are pretty good!

Stay strong and stay stopped!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well done on 5 weeks sober.

Cant make it to AA, no problem, there is a solution to that. Have the program come to you. Below are some recovery programs you can choose from your home. have a look, maybe you will see something you will like.
Women for Sobriety, Inc.
SOS Recovery and LifeRing Recovery
SMART Tools and SMART Articles
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Addiction Recovery Tools
DBT Life Skills For Emotional Health Great tools for maintaining sobriety as well.
Free Google book preview The New Cure for Substance Addiction. By Jack Trimpey. (The Advanced Addiction Voice Recognition Technique or the AVRT)
Also here at SR is a great recovery program in of its self. Keep up your participation here and its nice to have you here welcome.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on 5 weeks! Ask yourself why you quit drinking in the first place? Did it make you sick? Tired? Poor? I try to remember these things that alcohol brought into my life and it helps me get through the day without drinking. Welcome and god bless!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! I have to agree with everyone else. I'm only on day 11 and i've already been through that thought process, but then I talk to everyone around me and they remind me of how I was when I was drinking, and I don't want to be there again.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelle83 View Post
Hi everyone...

I am 5 weeks sober today. I've never posted before but reading other people's post have really helped me over the past weeks. I'm not going to any AA meetings. I'm not against them... I just have no way of going to the meetings with 4 small children and my husband's work schedule. I could really use some honesty. Is it normal to question whether you were an alcoholic or not? Is it normal to think since I was able to quit cold turkey and its been 5 weeks, then maybe it really wasn't a problem? I'm not trying to make up excuses and by the end things were really bad but does your mind really play tricks on you making you think it wasn't really as bad as it was? Does that make any sense what I'm asking?
I've wondered about that too. I've been told by people who I see about my drinking that I'm doing really well which made me wonder if I had such a bad issue with alcohol. Still I try to remember that previously I felt hopeless and that it didn't seem like there was any way I'd be able to stop drinking, so I keep that in mind, it help to avoid the temptation to drink again. I don't want to give my mind any more excuses to start me drinking again.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Michelle!

I can relate too.... it took months before those thoughts didn't pop up anymore. Coming here really helped knock some sense into me.

Congratulations on 5 weeks sober and welcome to the forum!