Notices

I've effed up - aka relapsed

Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've effed up - aka relapsed

So it started Monday night - my birthday. I justified having drinks because i was turning 31, I am alone and I wanted to relax on my "special day". Tuesday I drank because it was a night off . Tonight it's because I had a rough day at work.

I made it to day 8 this time. Please can one or all of the more experienced sober people tell me it'll get easier! If I can just get to day 9 it'll be better. It'll be easier.

I haven't been working out, I've been eating junk. I really want this cycle to end. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to better handle the AV next time?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey angela. Thanks for having the courage to post your stumble. How 'bout you get right back on this wagon and take a longer ride with us. Next time that beast is whispering or screaming in your ear, jump into SR and let us know. We're here to love and support you with all our might. It does get easier, but the beast is always lurking and often dies right in. Day 1 tomorrow. k?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If being sober did not get easier, there would not be many, if anyone still sober. Unfortunately everyone's time line for when it does is different. One thing is certain though, it will NEVER get better if one does not stop drinking....your life will only get progressively worse....

If weak willed me can make it to day 42, then you can too. I am nothing special, trust me.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crewisms View Post
Hey angela. Thanks for having the courage to post your stumble. How 'bout you get right back on this wagon and take a longer ride with us. Next time that beast is whispering or screaming in your ear, jump into SR and let us know. We're here to love and support you with all our might. It does get easier, but the beast is always lurking and often dies right in. Day 1 tomorrow. k?
Thank you soooo much for this. You have no idea how much it helps ( or maybe you do )
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have to put it down to help yourself Angela...Detox safely if you have to...Talk with your doctor about what you want to do...I got sober in AA...Meetings helped me tremendously...Read the book...Get a sponsor and work the steps....If AA is not for you...Look into AVRT...SMART...Lifering...Something that will give you some tools to make it easier for you. But in order to get started...You have to stop drinking first.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

First thing first don't beat yourself up it happens, you told on yourself sooner than later.
Do you go to any meetings or have any sober people you can call, yes definetly keep posting here but ahving someone close that you can call and hopefully support you when the AV voice starts talking. 12 step meetings do really help if given a chance.

That AV voice knows nothing but lies and wants to destroy you. If you keep listening to it you will lose everything! If that voice starts talking recite the serenity prayer, say the shortest but powerful prayer-God help me not think this way, drink water, visit someone, read sober literature, especially tell on your voice right away, the longer you keep it a secret the more powerful it is. Take it one day at a time, this mantra helped me my first three months "I don't want to drink TODAY but if I feel like drinking tomorrow I will dinking tomorrow" keeping in mind that tomorrow never comes; well we don't live in tomorrow we can only live in TODAY!

I hoped this helped a little and I will pray for you!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto all the above suggestions, and <hugs> to you.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Get back to the basics and try again! Forget about the last few days, they are done and over with.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

My birthday is in March, my special day is May 15th.

The longer you don't drink the easier staying sober is. Wishing it were easier or different feeds a sense of dissatisfaction and resentment, be careful and use it judiciously.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Reposting, one of my recent post. Hope it helps .

You have not failed, until you stop trying.

The fact is, we keep doing same thing again and again and we expect different results.

Do you have some plan on what would be different this time ?

Can share my experience. I felt that my fight against alcohol became somewhat easy ,when I made plan to cover all the aspects. They are listed here .

1.Physical: some amount of light exercises like brisk walking and jogging for 15-20 minutes.
2. Nutrition : Eating small portions every 2-3 hours, Vitamin, Mineral and amino acid supplements and maintain even blood sugar levels
3. Mental : Meditation & Hypnosis aids
4. Emotional : reducing expectations from other and try to help others
5. Spiritual : not expecting fame, appreciation for our actions of helping others

Try something different this time. Keep trying and you will succeed.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IT WILL GET BETTER! I have 5 yrs, with gods help. Suggestions: 1. Tell your self once a morning 5 things your greatful for. 2. Look in the mirror and tell your self "I like you". Even if you don't mean it, '' Fake it tell you make it''. 3. Serve, serve, serve.
Blessings
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR whistlepig63....Are you in AA?...Or is that your plan? And congrats on five years!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If your AV is like mine...it could rain today so it will want a drink...I might see a traffic accident on the way home and it will want a drink....it might be really hot this afternoon and it will want a drink..work could be really busy and it will want a drink...i could get a raise a promotion (I wish) and it will want to celebrate with a drink...

Its up to you to ignore it. I agree with the others. The longer you are sober the less of an issue it becomes. If day 9 is your trigger---change up everything that day to make sure you are on gaurd. It helps me to read my old "Ive relapsed" threads again on here.

You can do it. I know for a fact you want to do it.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do you have a program to stay sober or are you just "white knuckling" it?

For me, the combination of AA and SR has helped me. The first step of AA describes what you may be going through, admitting that you are powerless over alcohol. You might want to check out some AA meetings.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all your support and suggestions. Today is a new day and I will dust myself off and start again.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I always have a backup plan for when my cravings get bad. For example,the following activities will refocus my mind

exercising
playing with my kids
talking to wife
Motorcycle ride

Just to name a few...

Always have a backup activity that will keep your mind busy.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

good luck!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi- Angela

Your post was great. Today I'm actually 31 as well and your post was the first one I opened this morning. Ironic.. made me smile and realize how lucky I am that things happen for a reason.

Inca
Old 06-14-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

on I side note, I turned 31 yesterday...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, gordano!