Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all

I am 72 days sober and am finding things hard as I am discovering who the hell I am after 20 years of drinking. I feel that I don't quite belong. I have friends that I feel I don't belong in their group now and am still new in the rooms and don't feel I belong there either so as my counseller said today I am in no mans land for now. Just wanted to get that off my chest and also to indroduce myself, hi I am Ally xx
Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

Hi, positivelady!
I'm in your boat.. Trying to figure out who I am after 20 years.
I just have a pep talk with myself about staying focused every time I think I don't belong..
I think in the future, at some point, you'll look around and you'll belong there.
I hope that's the case, anyway.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Casmasta

Thanks for your reply, I am trying to be positive and am hoping that it will all come together. I think for me is I want it all now and don't want to wait to feel better. How long have you been sober?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Time to find a sponsor and work those steps!! The new solution is in the step work.

Glad you are here!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Ally, I'm Lucy, and I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Give it time. For myself, I think I'm impatient for things to be sorted and okay right away but I'm trying to learn to be patient. In the meantime SR is a great place for support x
Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

I've been sober since April 23rd.. So 51 days? (i just figured it out.. never been good with dates.. but i guess now, with sobriety, people like you to remember that stuff? hahaha)

I think that's the issue I'm having too.. I call it my Veruca Salts. I WANT IT NOW.
I thought when I first quit that it would be easier than it is. I didn't realize all of the things I'd actually have to work on. Hubris.
I guess anything worth doing isn't easy, or something. At least that's what I've heard?

I'm having one of those days where every fifteen minutes I have to tell myself to take a deep breath. I can't tell if it's because of all the coffee, or..?

Anyway, yeah.. The in-betweens. It's a tough place.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ally, and Welcome!

I sure do remember feeling like you do, but know for sure that it will get better.

I didn`t use AA, but I found that volunteer work really helped me a lot to make new, sober friends and to find a sense of purpose in my life.

I`m glad you found us.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Casmasta View Post
I call it my Veruca Salts. I WANT IT NOW.
Love it
Old 06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Helly Ally! Welcome! I find myself in the same position. Wondering where to go from here. Just taking it one day at a time!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone I feel soooo much better already after reading your replies. I am so glad I found this site. On Friday I am off to my local AA meeting and am going to approach a lady to be my sponsor. I know I have to work this program to make me change and feel good about me.

As we said in the treatment centre I was in "keep coming back it works if you work it so work it your worth it"

Ally
x
Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Love it
You just helped me find my avatar.

I'm so glad I found this site, too, PostiveL.
It's really given me so much in the past couple of days that I wasn't getting just stuck in my own head.