Notices

AAphobia

Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
For what it's worth, I wrote according to the 2 previous posts you had written, Luling. Re-read what you wrote.

Maybe your higher power saved you by not letting you get into those meetings.

Who knows what was going on in there at that time?!? Call the AA line and talk to people, ask about those meetings.

Read the big book. Be willing to go to any lengths. Be desperate enough. And be prepared to hear a zillion opinions on any topic brought up in there (or anywhere).

In 25 years, I've seen too many go to AA, hear the wrong thing, and not ever want to go back.... recovery and future options impeded and negative consequences happened.

Commit to staying stopped. Then commit to a program of action. Simple, not easy.

Love & hugs,
I don't think one must commit to staying stopped in order to attend a meeting. Many of us go into their first meeting not sure what is going on with them and if this is the route they want. I went to my first meeting for the h*ll of it- to see what it was all about, not knowing what I was planning to do in the future.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

You can just go to check it out Luling...As said before...Don't overthink the damn thing....Just go and listen...I'll tell you something from my personal experience....When I went to my first meeting...I just sat and listened...But when I left I knew that was right where I was supposed to be...I haven't had a drink since...Almost a year. It was like I was home and I knew I'd be going back...If you don't feel that way...I would hope you would at least try a couple different meetings before you make up your mind if it is or isn't for you. If you feel like you are right where you should be...You won't have any problems going back. It won't cost you anything...If you want to throw a buck in the basket you can...The coffee is free and the people are wonderful...Enough debate...Just go!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
For what it's worth, I wrote according to the 2 previous posts you had written, Luling. Re-read what you wrote.
I'm not being hard-headed here, but I'm not sure I get your point. Why are you suggesting that I re-read what I wrote? (I did, several times after your first post) Is it because I've expressed that I'm conflicted? Is it because I'm hesitant to walk into a room full of strangers who are talking openly about something I have never said out loud? What AA prerequisite am I not understanding? I promise I do not ask these questions defensively; there is something here that I'm not getting.

I appreciate your reply, and I thought your point about my Higher Power keeping me out of those meetings was interesting. I feel like this is something I have to do; I can only waffle and overthink before so long before I end up doing nothing. I don't really have any expectations; I just want to conquer my hang-up about showing up and parking my butt in a chair. I'll see where it goes from there.

Oh, and I have the Big Book on my phone. I've been reading it a little each day, haven't gotten as far as I'd like.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Luling...Do me a favor. Call this number....Right now....Talk to somebody...Tell them where you are and you'd like to go to a meeting with someone...They are very nice...Just say you'd feel better going with another female.. Please. 713-686-6300 Let us know what they say.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Here is a meeting guide for your area....Stop paying attention to that post...Please.

Home Page
Old 06-14-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
there is something here that I'm not getting.
Luling, get sober. Go to a meeting. It's about you, not what someone says..
Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

The only requirement for AA membership IS A DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING. You're qualified, Luling. Just go!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Luling...Do me a favor. Call this number....Right now....Talk to somebody...Tell them where you are and you'd like to go to a meeting with someone...They are very nice...Just say you'd feel better going with another female.. Please. 713-686-6300 Let us know what they say.
Oh my God, that was scary -- my hands are still shaking. Anyway ... I just got off the phone with the nicest man. It's all good; everything's fine. I'm ready to do this. Whew!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

He didn't bite you?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

lol Sapling....at least he couldn't throw Bibles at her over the phone.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

So what did he say Luling?....Is he going to have someone go with you?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
~sb

same thing written in both private messages
Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Ooh I can't wait to hear how you get on! Let us know!xxx
Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

You know what would be really cool..Is if this lady you meet with ends up being your sponsor...Stuff like that happens in AA.....Not sure why...It just does.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm running out the door to take my daughter to the mall, I'll be back to tell you about it a little bit later. Adios!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Okay, I don't know why I was nervous about calling the number. I've actually pulled up that website and stared at the number several times, so when Sapling posted it, I was like, "okay, okay ..." The guy was super nice, AND he didn't bite! I had a lot of questions about things that are probably really stupid, and he answered in plenty of detail as if my questions weren't stupid at all. By the time we finished chatting, I felt much more at ease about the whole thing.

I'm not meeting with anyone to walk in with, because it's up in the air whether I'm going tonight, tomorrow morning, or tomorrow afternoon. (It all depends on when I'll have someone to watch my toddler. If my husband gets back in time this evening, I'll go tonight. Otherwise it's up to my neighbor whether I go tomorrow morning or afternoon.) I'm okay going by myself though, and if I chicken out I'll call back and see if they can send some burly guys (or a nice lady) to drag me in. I promise.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

You'll be fine Luling...You know that nice guy on the phone?...Imagine a room full of them.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I'm in the parking lot...

Getting out of my car...

Going in ...

Sitting ...

Okay, I've got this...
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Old 06-14-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

You go Girl!