Notices

Going to do more research, how to tell sponsor

Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Going to do more research, how to tell sponsor

I know most people just drop out of AA but I'd rather not leave the wonderful people I met worrying about where I disappeared to.

I discovered something called moderation management and I am going to give it a shot. How should I tell my sponsor and AA friends?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tell them you think you found a better way...You can always go back if it doesn't work.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

I tried the moderation management program........that's how I ended up here.

I do wish you well.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks ^. My thoughts are that if it works it works if not I will go back to AA.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It will be there LiveLikeGold6....Just out of curiousity...What step were you working on as you leave?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just got done with 8. I know I know, but I don't attribute it to that. Funnily enough the first time I got sober I also went out on my 9th step. I think it's just a coincidence but I could be wrong.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just be honest. AA is full of the most understanding & accepting people on the planet. Everyone one of them looked for other ways as well. Stay in touch with your friends there. If your program doesnt fit your needs go back.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
I just got done with 8. I know I know, but I don't attribute it to that. Funnily enough the first time I got sober I also went out on my 9th step. I think it's just a coincidence but I could be wrong.
Kind of an odd coincedence...Have you mentioned that with your sponsor?...Kind of makes me wonder if you might be missing something on step 4?...Anyway...Maybe step one is your problem...If you think you moderate your drinking...No way step one is going to happen...I wish you the best...Have you had any luck with moderation in the past?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

You're not nursing your baby, are you?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I sure wish I would have gotten this program when I was first introduced to it!! I was 17 and now I am 42, and I have finally gotten it. A light bulb went off this time. I was told that I could become a habitual relapser and that if I do, then it gets harder and harder to get to the meetings. I wanted it for myself this time. I have put God first with my recovery, AA, then my 2 wonderful boys. I am finally working the program wholeheartedly. I am feeling better than I have in years. I still have a beau-cou of problems, I am just dealing with them in a different way, from a higher state of consciousness.
If I could choose to be with my boys, who are now 13 and 12, or go out and drink with my friends, then I would choose my boys. My boys are going to be there for me always, the drinking and friends are just a pain in my a#$ to get me through the problems I have. It will only make my problems worse.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
You're not nursing your baby, are you?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
I'm also wondering about your baby. And have to say that the first thing that popped into my head was "only an alcoholic would be scheming to have a drink with a 4 week old baby".

BT, DT. I get it.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am not trying to freak you out, but the woman who started MM got drunk, drove and killed someone. Google it. I am pretty sure she is abstinent now.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I discovered something called moderation management and I am going to give it a shot. How should I tell my sponsor and AA friends?

do it with compassion and dont have any expectations of the response.

i have found that an alcoholic cant drink in moderation, but you may not be an alcoholic.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not focus on the baby and not be so selfish now? Wait until that child is older....you're abstinent now, why not stay stopped for a while? That baby needs your compete attention now. Finish that 9th step completely first then see how things are?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why is drinking alcohol so important to you, especially with a 4 week old baby? What if you overdrink one night and something happens to your baby? It may sound histrionic, but it very well could happen. Something made you join AA in the first place, so you must have felt you had a problem with alcohol. If you have been abstinent during your pregnancy, why would you want to start drinking again?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can honestly say I wish I would have stopped when my three kids were babies. They will tell you the same, and I was "high functioning" I hope you give sobriety another chance in the future!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All I can say is ... I sincerely hope you make it back.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I just looked her up. Even in MM, the number of drinks surpasses that of the suggested limits by the National Institutes Of Health.

How she's out of jail for killing two people, I'll never know....
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

"In the most surprising item in the book, she says she still drinks regularly and even gets drunk at times."

She will die a drunk. She's now published a new book and is making money off of killing those two people, one was a 12 year old child. Seriously?!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wish you the best of luck with MM and perhaps you are not an alcoholic. Do you have a person who can be sober and responsible for your baby when you decide to try this out?

I only know whatever I tried in terms of moderation failed and that idea is smashed within me but there again , I am an alcoholic.

SR , AA and all the abstinence based programs will be there should you find that step 1 is really true for you. I have no idea of your history and can only comment on my own.