Notices

I am new here

Old 06-12-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am new here

I need help, and I finally realize it. I have been struggling without support in my sobriety for years. That is the reason that i can never go more than a couple weeks without relapsing. It just gets worse and worse the more I try to control it. I try to cut down and only fall into a regiment of increasing usage. I am hurting everyone around me, but don't want to. I am at rock bottom, and desire change in my life. I pray that it is not too late to be happy in life. Thank you for reading this.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's impressive you can go two weeks without support. I barely ever managed two days. Until I found this place. It's wonderful and I'm nearly up to a month! Welcome and good luck!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Eric, it is never too late to be happy. The fact that you're ready for a change says a lot, and that should give you hope. Don't ever give up hope - that's all we have.

Very glad you found us - there is a LOT of support here.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Eric, and there is always hope.

My intake of alcohol increased as I tried to cut back. It frustrated me enormously and I wasted precious time trying to make it work.

Stopping drinking was a relief for me, and I think it will be for you too.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ericz View Post
I need help, and I finally realize it. I have been struggling without support in my sobriety for years. That is the reason that i can never go more than a couple weeks without relapsing. It just gets worse and worse the more I try to control it. I try to cut down and only fall into a regiment of increasing usage. I am hurting everyone around me, but don't want to. I am at rock bottom, and desire change in my life. I pray that it is not too late to be happy in life. Thank you for reading this.
It's never to late to make a change - the fact that you are here is proof of that. Stay strong and lean on whomever you can for support. For some it's AA, for others its family, for some its this forum it seems but whatever works for you is the thing to do. Ask questions and be honest..and your prayers will come true.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ericz !

You came to the right place to get help. I was hitting the bottom of the barrel yesterday morning polishing off the last of the beer. Your situation sounds all to familiar - a mirror image of me. I thought I could pace myself but the drinking escalated to an 18 pk a day.

I'm on my 1st day of sobriety and it's pretty rough. There's an awesome support group here as well as a chat room. I'm just getting by minute by minute today but know in a matter of days, I'll feel back up to par. It's tough the first couple days getting clean but it does get better.

Best Wishes!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ericz View Post
Don't know your age, but it doesn't matter - I was at a meeting a few years ago where an 85 year old attended for the very first time. Grabbed sobriety with both hands and held on. Still sober the last time I saw him.

Not many can go the solo route. Some do and can be happy. Some do and remain dry but not well. I've found, for me at least, that AA was the way to go. They were safe places to go where I knew that for the hour I was there at the very least I would be sober. While I was there, I was also able to grab some phone numbers so that I had life lines when things got tuff.

You'll be exactly as happy as the amount of effort you put in to getting sober. I can take a bit though before it comes, but it will never get here if you don't sober up enough to see it.

Welcome
Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Eric!

I am so glad you have decided to take your life back.
You will find so much information and support here.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

If you want lots of support from people who have successfully stopped drinking and have lots of sober time under their belts I would strongly recommend AA. You can call your local Alcoholics Anonymous number and find out when and where there is a meeting. If you like, someone will come out and speak with you about the program if you request it. They are all volunteers and they were once where you are now. Whatever you decide I wish you well.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Eric, It's never too late! You'll get lots of support here, glad you found us x
Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i think that its great that you re back too. keep your head up.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi Ericz,
I think I always wanted to control my drinking and it was only until I decided it was impossible and that I had to give up completely.
The first step was really understanding how badly alcohol was affecting me and my life, a year on in sobriety and I now can look back and I can't believe how much I let alcohol become such a big part of my life.
I never want to go back to that.
I use AA and this forum to keep me sober.
my life is so much better now incredible things are happening for me.

I woul read posts like mine early in sobriety with more than a touch of skepticism, now I know people were telling it how it is.
You need a program.

love
caiHong
Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the positive Outlook...I just got back from my first meeting in years...back then they didn't have online forum...this is great. Thanks again