Notices

Need to regain momentum.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to regain momentum.

My commitment to not going back to the bottle is not under question but I need to increase or regain my joy or amazement that I am managing , where I filled time ducking and diving cravings and urges now I find not having them means I'm not addressing my sobriety in such a positive way. At 100 days since making the commitment how do I manage or build into my life ways to think positively about this. Start at day one again this time battling the non urges ?
Any suggestions would be helpful .
Once again thanks for all here in this special community that have helped be .
John.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings, John?

The 12 Steps address your concerns.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I have that same question. I have 5 months and I am asking myself if I am now going to be a boring sober mom???
All I am going to is meetings, grocery store, and home. I want to build my life to be what it was before, without the drinking. I have two boys aged 13 and 12, and they are wanting to go places that I just can't trust to go to yet. It is a hard time for me right now also.
We can do this together is what I am constantly hearing, and I am just trying to believe that.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All I wanted was to get alcohol out of my life and live happy. I needed to clear the wreckage of my past...Right my wrongs....Find out how my thinking made me drink like I did....Get right spritually...And help others who are suffering like I was...How did I do that? The 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. If there was another way...I would have found it.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrooke View Post
I have that same question. I have 5 months and I am asking myself if I am now going to be a boring sober mom???
All I am going to is meetings, grocery store, and home. I want to build my life to be what it was before, without the drinking. I have two boys aged 13 and 12, and they are wanting to go places that I just can't trust to go to yet. It is a hard time for me right now also.
We can do this together is what I am constantly hearing, and I am just trying to believe that.
how bout setting up something to take your kids to with someone else in recovery? i am sure there are others with kids around you that are in recovery.

got a sponsor?
workin the steps?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Spinach...It sounds like the physical fight is over and the rest of life has begun. I get that. If you are an excitement junkie like me, (which is part of my ADD), you might feel like you are doomed to a boring life once you've removed the thrills of addiction. But, you'd be wrong.

You are now free to do and be everything that you have always wanted; including everything you did as an active addict; except without drugs and alcohol. And you can make them even more thrilling, since your senses won't be dulled.

If you are at a resting place, and jaded by the newness of sobriety, just wait, it'll pass. If you have resentments and pain that were being numbed by using, then you have some work to do to figure out how to clear that up. AA's steps are a big help in guiding through the process.

Be glad you are where you are right now, and take the opportunity to breathe in your new life.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
At 100 days since making the commitment how do I manage or build into my life ways to think positively about this. Start at day one again this time battling the non urges ?
I don't think you can battle a non urge. But I would recommend working on relapse prevention. With over a hundred days sober, a relapse not likely be the result of losing a knock-down, drag out fight with a sudden obsession or craving to drink.

Your addiction is much more subtle than that...it may start with a dissatisfaction with your present state of recovery...like what you are going through now!

Good of you to recognize it. Recovery from addiction is selfish, in a good way. We have to focus on getting better. But you can get too focused on yourself and forget that you have to get on in the world. Getting out of yourself, by volunteering, is a great way to turn dissatisfaction to satisfaction.

A hundred days is fantastic. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is how I keep the joy of my recovery alive...:

I pray often ..I regularly attend AA meetings...I share there and on here.
I live in the AA Steps....Practice gratitude...and try my utmost to use
The Golden Rule.

Hope this helps someone renew their purpose today...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice one on your 100th day john. Im just starting out in the world of sobriety, but already im trying to think further down the line as i know im not going to be able to go clubbing, partying and drinking at home alone as i did. im not sure on your circumstances but Im thinking of getting a 50 things to do before i die board and try and spend my energy and money achieving things on that.

I want a volts wagon camper van, go surfing, white water rafting again, cycling the trans pennine trail and lots of other things that dont involve drink or drugs but will give me a good old healthy buzz.....you live in wales...some beautiful country down there

good luck, stay positive.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Doggonecarl you have it bang on I'm not bored of being sober in fact as I've said before I'm enjoying being the person I thought I was and am now so much nearer being.
It's whilst I had to work I recognised the changes and it gave me direction now I'm finding it difficult to plan for improvement!! I guess mindfulness is the word .
John