Notices

observations

Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

observations

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed a lot since being here and especially since finally posting a month or so ago. One is that we have a lot of binge drinkers who can keep it to a two to four day week thing. Been there and done that. Was the weekend partier. Never blacked out so muched as passed out when I went to bed. Then grew my tolerance. So now I can handle almost daily what I used to consider a binge. I can also still go days without but the thoughts are there. My message to the binge drinkers would be to please stop because at my stage there is an odd and deceptive sense of security and comfort. The second thing I have noticed are the people out there beating themselves up over relapsing. I see them tearing themselves down with self loathing. Please stop this. Try to treat yourself better. Even if thinking positively is a lie at first, just keep doing it. I say this because you have the courage to finally put your foot down and try. Thats awesome. I keep wondering when and if I will have that same courage. There are many others out there, but these two types hit home today. As for me, I am drinking less, running more, and being healthy. I am trying to grow the positive forces in my life and remove drinking whenever I can. I am doing this because I for some reason either cannot or will not commit to abstinence. My wife is also with me and helping me to do this. I am looking forward to our walk tonight as opposed to any alcohol. This scares me because I am being lulled into thinking that abstinence might not be necessary. But a part of me worries that indeed it is, and I just won't be able to make the necessary commitment. So again, stay positive, nurture yourself, and if you can make that commitment, be kind to yourself with the bumps in the road. Thanks. And for those out there like me. My advice is to focus as hard as you can on building up the positive in your life. Its a start, and my hope is that over time my head will be clear enough and confident enough to do whatever is needed to live the best life possible.

Wonder
Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Thanks for taking time to post, Wonder.

Might that deceptive sense of comfort be telling you moderation is a viable option?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes. I am here to learn and to listen. I don't necessarily have this dream or intense desire to moderate, but sometimes I feel that it might just naturally happen. I can be a very happy sober person. My relationship with alcohol started as a binge drining experience in college. Now at 34, I do wonder if I can change that relationship. In a way, I'm o.k. with either way it goes. I'm just not sure how that will look. After finally talking a lot with my wife about all this, there has been a recent pattern of more healthy stable behavior. This has been due to me cultivating the positive. However, I still love to get buzzed. just love it. I never take it past a certain level, but I love that top level I take it too. Listening here, I am worried that this current plateau could escalate and my challenge is in trying to figure out if it will escalate, or if I can successfully change my habits. Thanks for listening Ranger.

Wonder
Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think its not the case for all. For some people stopping at a certain point is literally impossible. Myself, I bought a shot of scotch for $100 when they ask me to leave the pub after the bar has been closed already. But that point of time all I wanted was more Alcohol and I could do anything for that. Craving can make someone mad.