Notices

So many newbies just like me!!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

So many newbies just like me!!

I'm not happy you all are suffering, but I am so thankful to not feel an oddity!! I always figured that since I didn't drink daily I wasn't an alcoholic, and that I was wasting everyone's time going to AA. I read so many threads today about other women and men who binge drink weekends like I did and I feel not so alone. When you are a periodic drinker it is so much easier to try and brush it off and not take it as serious, but those binges will kill ya as easily as daily drinking.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

True Dat.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

You are right. I am one of them. Something my mother said to me the other day really scared me. We were talking about my father who was in the hospital for the 3rd time from binge drinking.. she said "I can remember when he only drank like you. He only drank on the weekends" and then it hit me. This is how it starts. That's when i realized I need to stop the drinking now.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
I'm not happy you all are suffering, but I am so thankful to not feel an oddity!! I always figured that since I didn't drink daily I wasn't an alcoholic, and that I was wasting everyone's time going to AA. I read so many threads today about other women and men who binge drink weekends like I did and I feel not so alone. When you are a periodic drinker it is so much easier to try and brush it off and not take it as serious, but those binges will kill ya as easily as daily drinking.
My weekend binges just kept getting longer and longer... And the hangovers became withdrawals. My last was ten straight days.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a binge drinker too.....or I was, now I'm a non-drinker.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With you on this aeo , its progressive and heavily damaging even if one does not drink every day. It is progressive and my last decade has shown that.

As they say its not how much or often you drink but the effect and continuation and craving that can be clear warning signs.

Lots of us on here and many more out there. I like it in here were we know we are not alone and can learn from those who have recovered and are leading their lives the way we would like ours to be with the roses and the thorns. At least we can see the red and feel the barb and today I appreciate that.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Live2Run. Wow, that is a really profound and awakening statement your Mom made. That's one more thing of "proof" that I need.
I'm shaking in my boots about going to a meeting tonight.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up You are not alone

I feel ya, cause I am in the same boat. It is very easy to say we do not have a problem because we wait until the weekend, but we have no control once we start that weekend binge. For me, it's the only thing I look forward to during the week. It is also easy for others to say you do not have a problem. My mother denies I have a problem with alcohol because she says I wait until the weekend. I know very well I do not drink like others and it is very much so a problem. Third day sober and it is a Monday, I am fearing Thursday night as this is when I start my bingeing. I feel stronger because of this site and the support I have found on here, that I hope I can spend Thursday night and the rest of my weekend sober.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by Cinderblock18 View Post
Live2Run. Wow, that is a really profound and awakening statement your Mom made. That's one more thing of "proof" that I need.
I know! It rocked my world. Ever since i've been sober. I really hope you make it to a meeting tonight! you'll do great!!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

By the end my weekends ended on Tuesday but that was OK because they didn't start until Wednesday.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Ann, you have come SUCH a long way from when you first started posting. It's really, really awesome to see. Keep going, girl - you're doing amazing.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker as well - it just lasted for 15 years. But I was a social drinker as well so it was OK - I drank anything with anyone, at anytime and anywhere. See a social drinker.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cinderblock18 View Post
Dig deep for some courage...Nobody is going to hurt you. You'll love it!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Ann, you have come SUCH a long way from when you first started posting. It's really, really awesome to see. Keep going, girl - you're doing amazing.
I agree DS...Got to love it.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Every two or three days I'd binge for one night. Going four days sober was very rare.

The consuming thoughts/obsession of it all, miserable hangovers, and feeling helpless to it all is what made me reassess my relationship with alcohol.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Sapling and Desertsong-

awwww...you've gotten me a little choked up. Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
I drank anything with anyone, at anytime and anywhere. See a social drinker.
If you're drinking, social I.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
If you're drinking, social I.
Strangely - I don't believe I've heard it put that way before
Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I started as a binge drinker in college 20 years ago. I've never been physically addicted to alcohol. I've always taken days off in between.

20 years ago? I was surprised and concerned when I started drinking beer on a Thursday night, a school night.

More recently? I was unsurprised when I was drinking generic vodka straight from the bottle at 7:30AM on a weekday having just woken up from a Sunday night's binge.

I've had plenty of people explain to me why I'm not an alcoholic. Don't drink every day, some degree of professional success, no DUIs, etc. etc.

But just give me one drink, and give me a little time. I'll show you what a complete and determined active alcoholic I can be, as I disregard anything and everything else in life in the pursuit of one more, until I no longer conscious.

Admitting it is a huge step. The moment you realize this isn't a game you can play without eventually ending up dead, crazy or in jail (and almost certainly utterly miserable for a decent stretch before that), you've started to turn the tables on the thing that will otherwise determine the course of your life, for the worse, sooner or later.

That is a message of hope and optimism, by the way.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by riggedgame View Post
The moment you realize this isn't a game you can play without eventually ending up dead, crazy or in jail (and almost certainly utterly miserable for a decent stretch before that), you've started to turn the tables on the thing that will otherwise determine the course of your life, for the worse, sooner or later.
This quote of yours helps me .

Yes, its hell to have addiction in control of me. I have to direct my life in the direction of wellness or it is crazy, jail or dead for me.