Notices

Back to work

Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to work

Ok, it's back to work for me after a week off. Work is my biggest trigger. Long stressful days with no thought space. I am up at 5 , not home til 7pm and an AA meeting at 8, then home to bed. I want to work on myself, I resent this intrusion when I'm concentrating on sobriety. I run a department so am responsible for the well being of others.
I don't want to go. I want to retreat into myself. I'm anxious, my heart is pounding and I've got an upset stomach.
But I will face it because I don't run from challenges any more x
Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know the serenity prayer...Right Jeni?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

when you can, buy a pocket book size AA book... a paragraph can help you!

serenity prayer, too!

breathe slowly and be in the moment. ask god for guidance and inspiration

we're here for you!

Hugs,
Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure it will get easier Jeni...breathe!

D
Old 06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

As stated Breath, this to shall pass.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not to focus on the negative side but...you still have a job Jeni! A lot of people loose that to alcohol. I know that was my greatest fear and it's what pushed me into quitting when I did because I was so scared that I'd have to take time out of work to detox. Work can be pretty stressful but then life is pretty sh;tty without it.

That said, good luck and don't forget to breath...hugs xxx
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I was like you last week, just before a three-day trial. But then once it started I realized there wasn't anything to be so worked up about it. I was overly anxious. So I hope the same goes for you, in fact, I'm sure it will be. Try to relax and realize that once you get to work it'll be ok, and probably not nearly the giant elephant you blew it up to be. Good thoughts your way!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeni, good for you for recognizing that returning to work will be a challenge. I hope your day goes well.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Thinking of you today ((hugs))
Old 06-11-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey beautiful, just found this. So it's the end of the day (or the kids are leaving at least...) - how did you get on?

xxx
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thinking of Jeni. Let us know how it goes!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Check in and let us know how you are! ((Jeni))
Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Do you like your job? It sounds like you have to work a lot. I am taking it easy right now, looking for another job that gives me more time to focus on me and my boys. I know it will come, I have faith.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just finished and about to trek home. Day was ok, and I'm ok. I do a very tough job, teaching kids with learning difficulties and challenging behaviour. I love it actually, but the day is run at full pelt. I dont get a chance to stop, and even when I grab a few minutes for lunch I'm invariably called back to deal with a 'situation!' in addition to that I'm responsible for 5 other classes, so am often called away to offer support.
Oh I sound really ungrateful, I'm not. Honestly. I do love working with those kids and I really care. And I know I'm very lucky to have stopped drinking before it seriously affected my ability to do that job.
It's just at the moment, I want to think about myself and sobriety. I want to give myself every opportunity to work the steps properly and that means spending time on them. It takes me an hour to get home, I will cook dinner and head out to a meeting.
I know I probably sound completely self absorbed and selfish.
I don't mean to. I'm very lucky being me. Just wish I had more time to be me!
Thanks for the support guys xxx
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're doing God's work Jeni. Your time will come. You are lucky to be you!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Jeni, I know how you feel - I think it's very hard to focus on your sobriety when you have a busy job (Especially when colleagues talk about unwinding with a glass of wine!) But we are lucky to have jobs here in the UK at the moment! Glad it all went ok though - you're doing fab! Enjoy your meeting xx
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hi guys, just finished and about to trek home. Day was ok, and I'm ok. I do a very tough job, teaching kids with learning difficulties and challenging behaviour. I love it actually, but the day is run at full pelt. I dont get a chance to stop, and even when I grab a few minutes for lunch I'm invariably called back to deal with a 'situation!' in addition to that I'm responsible for 5 other classes, so am often called away to offer support.
Oh I sound really ungrateful, I'm not. Honestly. I do love working with those kids and I really care. And I know I'm very lucky to have stopped drinking before it seriously affected my ability to do that job.
It's just at the moment, I want to think about myself and sobriety. I want to give myself every opportunity to work the steps properly and that means spending time on them. It takes me an hour to get home, I will cook dinner and head out to a meeting.
I know I probably sound completely self absorbed and selfish.
I don't mean to. I'm very lucky being me. Just wish I had more time to be me!
Thanks for the support guys xxx
You don't sound self-absorbed and selfish at all! You've finally made it a priority to take care of yourself, and you're smart to keep that as your focus.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So glad it went well It's always tough after the holidays. But you're one tough chick, you always make it through.

IT'S STILL RAINING JEN!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovering

Glad it went OK today Jen.

My weakness was always after work - that was when I went and bought the evening beer. I got used to relaxing with it. Strange thing is now I don't drink I still feel relaxed after a little chill-out time at home.

Because after work was my real weak-spot I used my Kindle in the care to listen to books on recovery from alcohol. There are also some podcasts on iTunes. That helped me drive past the supermarket. At least for the time-being that craving has gone, but I'm keeping a book or podcast ready for if it returns.

It's fantastic work with the kids that you're doing!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's not raining up north...for a change

Glad you got through the day okay Jeni x

I do know what you mean though, I have a really busy work week coming up, and I want to go to a few meetings, but then I'm probably going to have to work overtime. My job isn't anywhere near as full on as yours though. I guess it's all about balance. We're lucky to have jobs but still need time to look after ourselves.

Enjoy your meeting tonight x