# 21 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right sapling. I've done a lifetime of doing just that!x
Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So did I.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I think crying is just letting out emotions that you covered up for years with alcohol...What better place to do it than in a room full of people just like you?...Alcoholics. They understand. I had a lady in my meeting this morning...Cried for five minutes straight. Some biker got up and brought her a box of tissues...She felt great after...And was talking to a couple women when I left. Crying is pretty normal in AA....So is laughing. Covering up those emotions with alcohol is what isn't normal.
You're right; it's just an unreasonable fear of mine. I probably wouldn't get overly emotional anyway, but if I did, I would want to hide. Like Jeni, I'm fine with other people getting emotional; it's just a hang-up that I only apply to myself.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't think mine is a hang up any more, just that I'm a bit numb to emotional pain. I am sort of distanced from it, until I'm drunk of course, then I'm an emotional wreck, but that isn't real,
Anyway, I'm coming out of that fog now, being scared and vulnerable is just part of growing up. Can't imagine me crying at a meeting though, but if I need to I won't fight it. X
Old 06-10-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Listening to others has been somewhat of a challenge to me when I was drinking. I was always "right", no one knew better than I did about anything. When I started to get humbled, I realized that I had to put my EGO aside in order for this AA thing to work. I have struggled with this addiction since I was 17, and now I am 42. I am hoping that I can really get it now, after only 5 months of recovery, I am well on my way. Today I haven't drank, because I am listening again. I forgot about "being right" was really me saying I am all in my EGO (Easing God Out). Now that I have 5 months, I am still struggling, but with the new tools, I can see that light at the end of my tunnel. It use to be a dark tunnel and I might just step into a hole and never get out. Now there is that light that I have been searching for. Listening is very important to me now. If I am not listening then there is something wrong with me is how I am starting to look at things. I don't have any answers, I have screwed my life up, and now I am really knowing that it is unmanageable with alcohol. I have a long way to go..........
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrooke View Post
I was always "right", no one knew better than I did about anything.
That kept me drinking for 35 years.