Notices

my heroin addict boyfriend my story

Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy my heroin addict boyfriend my story

Hi, its so hard to know where to start with this, I came across this group on google, I suppose I was searching for someone who might be in the same situation as me....
I met my boyfriend nearly 5 years ago (Im 25, hes 28) he has been an Iv heroin addict since he was 15. Personally, Ive never tried any drugs and I didnt know what a rollercoaster I was letting myself in for. When we met he told me "If I had you, Id give up the drugs" naively, I believed him (very inexperienced with addiction at the time!)
Anyway, so we got together and although I knew he was using heroin, I felt he would be off it soon and that would be that! Stupid I know....
It eventually got to the point where I was badgering him constantly about why he hadnt got off it yet, why did he feel the need to do drugs when we could have spent the money on doing things together?!
By this point I was already so in love with him I couldnt just walk away, although it would have been the best thing for me.
He had a job as an electrical engineer and used to use heroin before work, on his breaks and a couple of times when he got home. He eventually lost his job and kept "borrowing" money off his grandma. He was using more & more everyday, I suppose since he lost his job it helped to fill the time. After borrowing thousands off his grandma through lieing "I need rent money" or "I havent ate for 3 days" etc, she eventually saw through him and got a restraining order against him. Of course because he couldnt find money elsewhere and he knew his gran was an easy target he went to see her and got caught. He went to jail for 8 weeks. He wrote to me all the time in prison, promising me the world, he said hed never touch drugs again.
He finished his sentence, within 24 hours he had a needle full of smack in his arm. He point blank refused he had touched anything. I would constantly be on edge, hunting the house for drugs/needles and I ALWAYS without fail found them! He swore they were what Id missed from what hed used previously. I knew he was lieing but me being an idiot, I just carried on with life and let him get away with it. Anything to save an argument about the same thing over & over again...
This went on for over a year, we would be doing normal things, watching tv together or whatever, he would go to the bathroom and I would sit downstairs watching the clock, sometimes over an hour would go by and Id be scared to death he had overdosed but I knew that if he hadnt and he was just struggling to get the needle in, then I would be the one to blame for going upstairs to see if he was ok. He always came down eventually with pin head eyes and would be asleep within minutes of sitting back down or if I was talking to him his eyes would be rolling, he still denied he had done anything.
All we did was argue about smack. It was something Id never seen before meeting him and I would never have dreamt the love of my life would be an addict. So anyway, same story again, he struggles to feed his habit and goes back to his gran for more money. Gets caught again, 10 weeks jail this time. At the beginning it was such a relief, his habit was killing him and breaking me to the point of doing something stupid myself. He made me feel so worthless, all that went on in my head was, how can this drug come before me and his family when I do nothing but try and make him happy? Ill never truly understand it from an addicts point of view.
So he wrote to me from jail again, promised me things would be different this time and he really opened up to me for the first time without getting angry. He knew it was down to him and he also knew the only person that could change it was him. We got on so well while he was in prison, it was like falling in love all over again and meeting the real person and not the addict.
He came home and for 5 whole days life was perfect, he made time for me, gave me all the affection Id craved for so long and was everything I wanted and needed him to be.
Those 5 days were the best time we ever had together, dont get me wrong, when things were good, they were amazing and I know why Id stood by him so long. He made me feel so comfortable and was the funniest and most beautiful person Id ever met.
Then things started to go wrong, he would get agitated over nothing and start to pick fights with me, I think he was looking for an excuse to go and do heroin again. His "friend" came round one night and was telling him he was going to score, I cant tell you how mad I was. He couldnt bare the thought that my bf was clean and he wasnt so he tried to bring him back down to his level. Which he succeeded in doing. Once again I started to find needles in the house and my bf was back to his old ways of ignoring me and sneaking off and lying about where he was. He stole from me and sold everything we had that was worth anything. He ran out before long and stupidly went to his gran again. 3 months after his last release, he got sent back to prison again. He is still there now. He got 13 weeks this time. Im having to lie to everyone I know about where he is. I told my family he got a job and works away a lot, theyre really pleased hes "working" and is finally starting to do something with his life.
It makes me feel like crap cos I have to be like "yeah im so proud of him, thank god he finally got a job!" and its wearing me down now. I dont know how much longer I can keep it up. Theres no way on earth I can tell them about his addiction. Im not ashamed of him cos I love him but I know they wouldnt understand and would just go crazy at me. Hes been in prison for nearly 7 weeks now and I feel so down. I see my friends with their boyfriends and they moan about silly little things and I cant help but be jealous and wish that I had such a simple life without having to worry about smack every waking moment.
Hes told me that hes got off methadone and will be coming out of jail on nothing but blockers. He told me he'd relapsed before as he was on methadone and his prescription wasnt right. He said he will never let me down again and Im so desperate to believe him. 3rd time lucky right? Or am I just kidding myself? I know what Id say to me if I was the other person reading this. Id say get out while you can as he'll never change. But when he went to court he chose to go to jail so he could do rehab (they gave him an option of jail or 3 weekly drugs tests which hes done before and always used to fake so he got a negative) My heart is telling me that he really does want to get clean if he put himself into prison to do rehab again but my head is telling me he'll never change. I dont know if anyone will reply but it felt good just to tell my story (lots missed out) because other than my bfs family, nobody knows hes an addict. This is whats messing my head up. I have no one to talk to who wont judge. Ive kept this inside for 5 years now and having to make excuses for the way he is, is getting too much to bare.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((sweetheart25)) - Welcome to SR, though I'm sorry for what has brought you here. You may want to check out this forum...lots of people there know exactly what you are going through.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I'm a recovering addict and have loved ones who are still addicts. SR has been a huge help.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Ill check it out now xx
Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

Do check out the Friends & Families forum.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, sweetheart. Something tells me that name fits you. I just wanted to tell you thanks for having the courage to post your story. I hope you find what you need here or in the other sections. Wherever you end up, the support here in SR is beautiful.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are not alone! I am living with an active heroin addict! Get your self to a nar-anon meeting or Al-anon, coda is also good too! You have to focus on yourself, not on the addict, he will find his own recovery on his own if he wants it bad enough. Let go and let God, unfourtantly there is absolutely nothing you can do to help hi, he has to want to help himself!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too stronger2

D
Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to both of our new members....
sweetheart25 and Stronger2

Stronger gave you excellent advice
I found Al anon very helpful when dealing with
loved ones in addiction...
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been there

Your story really hit home. I was in exactly the same position a couple of years ago. I even moved to another country to be with a guy who promised me the world. Turns out that world.involved burnt spoons and a pack of lies. I had no idea he was a heroin addict at first. He disappeared for three days once. I thought he was dead and resigned myself to that. He wasn't. I can't believe the world I was mixed up in. It was surreal. I was thousands of miles.away from anyone I ever knew. The lies. The stealing. The deceit. It was like a true nightmare. I couldn't tell my family.about it, it would have killed them. so I continued to live like that for nearly three months. He consistently over dosed and went missing. He lost his Job, committed Western Union fraud, shoplifted, stole from his mother and would drive off without paying for gas. I also caught him using coke. I would spend my days screaming and crying and not knowing what to do. I was sure he would die. In the end I had to leave him. I couldn't watch it go on anymore and if he died, well, I couldn't be held responsible. I was 25 and he was 37. The thing that kept me going was the thought of my family. When I flew back home he couldn't see me off at the airport as he was waiting to score. I spent the next few months terrified I.would get that call. It was a bad time. He was evicted, got beaten up and disowned by his family. And he blamed me for leaving. I never saw him again. We lost contact. I believe he is clean but I will never forget the nightmare I lived. You won't like my advice... Leave and save yourself. He will do what he wants regardless of you. That is the nature of the drug. Be strong. X
Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hocuspocus View Post
You won't like my advice... Leave and save yourself. He will do what he wants regardless of you. That is the nature of the drug. Be strong. X
Heroin addiction is supposedly one of the hardest to break. Unless your bf has a rehab program lined up for when he's released, be prepared for another ride on this awful roller coaster.

"Leave and save yourself"...get out of this relationship for both his sake and yours. You have been enabling him in his drug habit and continue to do so when lying about his addiction.

Think about how you are putting yourself at risk. With the drug paraphernalia in your home, you could face charges and do time yourself.

If its just a matter of hours or days before bf uses after getting released, the likelihood of an od is increasing, especially as his sentences get longer. His tolerance goes down without using and it is all to easy to od. An od is not a pretty sight.

You say you love this guy, but how can you have a relationship that is built on lies and deception, fear rather than love and mutual support? It's all too one sided and you deserve more.

Hope the Family and Friends forum gives you more insight and support.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hocuspocus View Post
Your story really hit home. I was in exactly the same position a couple of years ago. I even moved to another country to be with a guy who promised me the world. Turns out that world.involved burnt spoons and a pack of lies. I had no idea he was a heroin addict at first. He disappeared for three days once. I thought he was dead and resigned myself to that. He wasn't. I can't believe the world I was mixed up in. It was surreal. I was thousands of miles.away from anyone I ever knew. The lies. The stealing. The deceit. It was like a true nightmare. I couldn't tell my family.about it, it would have killed them. so I continued to live like that for nearly three months. He consistently over dosed and went missing. He lost his Job, committed Western Union fraud, shoplifted, stole from his mother and would drive off without paying for gas. I also caught him using coke. I would spend my days screaming and crying and not knowing what to do. I was sure he would die. In the end I had to leave him. I couldn't watch it go on anymore and if he died, well, I couldn't be held responsible. I was 25 and he was 37. The thing that kept me going was the thought of my family. When I flew back home he couldn't see me off at the airport as he was waiting to score. I spent the next few months terrified I.would get that call. It was a bad time. He was evicted, got beaten up and disowned by his family. And he blamed me for leaving. I never saw him again. We lost contact. I believe he is clean but I will never forget the nightmare I lived. You won't like my advice... Leave and save yourself. He will do what he wants regardless of you. That is the nature of the drug. Be strong. X
I am going through this exact situation and I know I should leave but I have not. I spend days and nights calling his family asking have they heard from him. I am making myself sick and he is out there still lying.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The odds of this man quitting the smack and creating a nice life for you and him are infintismal. Like lotto small. Do you think it is smarter to play the lottery or keep the dollar?

It's like falling in love with a married man and then wasting your time expecting and hoping he will leave his wife and children because the love between you is so strong. The odds are so strongly stacked against you. He's addicted to heroin. That is his wife. You will remain a mistress who gets the leftover time and energy and sometimes gets forgotten altogether. Are you happy with unfulfilled promises??? Because that is the life of a mistress. As long as you are ok with that role, stay in that relationship. If you are hoping for a man who can give you a more real and sustainable love, please just move on & delete all his contact info. I understand you didn't know he had such a bad substance abuse problem at first, but you know as of right now, this second, so act accordingly.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in a similar situation.. I feel like I can't trust a word my partner says & he's always got track marks that he has an excuse for:/ I've got college to deal with but he's constantly calling me asking for money or starting a fight .. Every time I try to leave he says he's going to go get some smack or kill himself .. I don't want to leave him but it's so exhausting being on edge constantly ..
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh honey, reading your story is like reading how my life has been for the past 3 years. My BF is currently in a rehab facility, and hopefully to a half-way house after (fingers crossed) I feel the same way. Im tired. I don't know how much more I have to give. I am in the process of moving from our apartment. I told him he will need to establish himself in the community before we can even think of having a relationship again. If you need to talk I will be happy to share, and care with you! best of luck in this crazy game.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh does this sound familiar. I lived with an addict years ago, before I developed a drinking problem myself which brought me here to this forum.

I too had no experience with an alcoholic or drug addict. All the lies were devastating.

I found Al-Anon, and it helped me realize that the only person I can fix is myself. The only person I can do anything about is myself. It woke me up. Co-dependence just sucks. You came to the right place. I hope you can try an Al-Anon meeting.