Notices

High Anxiety, Valium and Humor.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High Anxiety, Valium and Humor.

Went ino my classic Generalized Anxiety attack, got so bad I broke down and took a prescribed Valium, didn't scratch the anxiety itch, just got worse. After a time of suffering I was tempted to do a 2nd Valium, instead I put on Mel Brooks "High Anxiety" and half way through the fears turned to tears--of laughter. Comedy made not be bottled but it sure is canned. Take A Mel Brooks and forget the mind for a bit. As the song says, there should be laughter after pain. It may not be a cure but it's a much needed reprieve.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fitz, I should know by now but I'm old and can't remember $#!t... are you going to AA meetings?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea to put on a comedy when we're not in a good place emotionally. I've been re-watching The Office (BBC version), and has me laughing every time.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One solution does not necessarily work for ever emotional disorder especially when I can't leave my apartment even to get my mail when I have an anxiety attack not to mention being around people. I tried something else in this situation and it seemed to help in this situation. Besides alcoholism I have other emotional psychological issues, I'm trying to expand my tool kit. That's all I was trying to express. In this case humor was medication and it helped. I'm thankful.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice, Fitz I'm like you, there's some times I can't leave the house or even answer the phone. Learning how to get myself out of an anxiety attack (which lead to panic attacks) was one of the most important things I learned that's kept me sober this year. That's how you do it! High five! Fist bump! Secret shake!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have GAD too, but don't have panic attacks. I'm on an antianxiety med I take daily. Again, I thought I was unique being diagnosed with GAD. Turns out a lot of us suffer from this. I was s suprised when I found out how many people in AA have this. My point is don't let this take you down. There is a woman in my group with schizophrenia. She gets up and down constantly and does some strange rituals all during a meeting. She gets to tues nights early, makes coffee, helps clean after and is a really sweet person. She has a lot more to battle than I with her mental illness plus sobriety.