Notices

would you change if you knew you ended up here?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know this is just a hypothetical question but here it goes. If you knew you would end up like this in your life would you have not started to drink at all or made better decision with alcohol or would not change anything.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good question: one of my favorite lines is 'you cannot acquire experience, you must undergo it'/ can't remember who said it... but its not important. the line is true - and life is about now and tomorrow - and look how rich and thankful we are of now and tomorrow! I think because we have tasted disappointment, we know more about the value of beauty. I would have preferred to not have lived the terrible episodes, but I am a deeper person because I have been closer to the edge - and had the right mind to take a step back.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know for certain that I needed to go through everything I did in order to be in the place that I am now. I believe that I chose these lessons to learn in this lifetime.

I believe that going through alcoholism and recovery has made me a far more compassionate and caring person and I am grateful for that.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hindsight is 20/20. If you'd told me 30 years ago that this is where I would have ended up, I'd have said, "Yeah, right. Whatever." Guess we don't believe it till we're living it.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dealt with an incredibly painful childhood trauma. I may have ended up here anyway but I think that is what put me on this path.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. If you'd told me 30 years ago that this is where I would have ended up, I'd have said, "Yeah, right. Whatever." Guess we don't believe it till we're living it.
i was thinkin right along these lines. i knew EVERYTHING back then and wouldnt have listened.

i am very greatful today to have lived the life i have. i existed in one of gloom, dispair and misery and am now living one happy, jouyous, and free.

also, it could have turned out worse.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's why it's so important for me to make wise decisions in the here and now. I'm making a new start in life and I hate regrets. Sober April 21, 2012.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Maybe God has a plan for me. Maybe I was supposed to go down this path to help others make a difference in the lives of others.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't change a thing... No matter how hard each and every one of those things were.

Saliena
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, I had a lot of fun for many years. It has only been the last four that have sucked.

I am glad to be in recovery and have a program.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think we need to be careful when answering this, because people even in recovery tend to be self centered. The first thing many think of when answering this question is "how has it affected me, improved me?". What are all my special qualities now that I'm sober, that I only have due to the fact that I'm in recovery and that someone who never went my route, does not have? I'm so wise now because of what I went through. I don't like that stuff, and I don't think that way.

We all caused people pain due to our addictions, so there's no way I can sit here and say I wouldn't change a thing. The past is the past, and it's over with, so I don't sit here around thinking about it and regretting it. But if I was back at that time, there's no way I'd go that route. I'm happy and at peace these days, but I take no pride in being "a recovered addict'. I made the choices and suffered the consequences. It sucked and was a waste. There are millions of people suffering around the world often to no fault of their own. Fortunately I survived my mistakes, and that's all there is to it really. Now I'm simply a healthier person.

This is not to say we should not be grateful. I'm very grateful for where I am today.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a depressing question! I could think for hours about all the things I should have done differently, and where I would be now if I did. I don't - CAN'T - dwell on the friends lost, opportunities ruined, and time wasted because when I do, I go a little crazy and feel completely defeated in the present moment. It makes me feel so worthless and lonely and broken, ugh. How am I supposed to get anything done when I feel like that? As the saying goes, you can't start the next chapter of your life if you're busy re-reading the last one.

Seriously, I don't get anything but a stinking pile of psychological poo wondering about all the things I should have done differently.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
I would of said the exact same things and laughed saying let go grab a couple.

The road I took was the one meant for me.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Years ago I taped a biography on Eric Clapton and I believe he was quoting Blake when he said "the road of excess leads to the path of wisdom". Then he laughed and said " but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone"!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have often thought that I would not be who I am if it weren't for the path I followed and I am happy for how it turned out.

Except for this last time.

I was in hell twice before and emerged a much better, happier man. This time was a wasted three years of life which will be sorely missed and learned only that I am a fool who forgets easily.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, I have very few regrets, but drinking is one of them. I'm pretty confident I could have grown as a person without the booze problem.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

If what I went through was the only way I'd have the beautiful life I have now, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

To be where my life is now means I wouldn't change a thing.

Besides, 20 years of denial means I would never have listened to advice anyway.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'd like to add that for myself I recognize the "addictive voice" that that loves to ruin my happness by reminding me of all of the WHAT IFS along with other ploys. I tell it to crawl back under it's rock
Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am glad that I am now 10 months sober, and happy that I had 9 years and 10 years sobriety, but I am not happy for the things that I did/missed when I was drinking. I don't know, when I start feeling sorry for myself I remember all those good people that died early because of incurable diseases, or those that are in survival mode only their entire lives (Middle East, Africa) and then feel like I should just get over it. The past is the past, I can control most of the future. After everything I did I am lucky to be alive.