Notices

Relapse...rinse...repeat

Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Unhappy Relapse...rinse...repeat

Since April I have had many more sober days than high days, and I'm proud of myself for that. But I keep slipping...
I write my sobriety dates inside of my NA book and I've had to scratch 3 out since the beginning of June. I want to get clean. I want to stop this... instead I keep slipping.
How do you guys deal with relapsing? How do you prevent it?
I'm without a car or a way to get to meetings, and I know that all of you will say for me to get to a meeting, but thats out of the question right now.

Please...anything...words of encouragement...suggestions... I just want to be free.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have to put the same desire and energy to get to meetings and work the program...That you put into getting the drugs you get high with.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You are using prescription narcotics? Quitting that has got to be tough without support. Have you tried calling and getting a ride to an NA meeting? Service to other addicts is encouraged.

I don't know the particulars, but it seems to me that as long as you have access to your DOC, you will be tempted, and you will use. Rehab will remove you from these temptations. But I guess if meetings are out of the question, so is rehab?

So you tell me, how are you going to stay away from the drugs? What can you do to ensure that you don't contact your dealers?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

How are you getting your pills besides stealing your bf dad's? You must work as hard or harder to get clean then you are to get high.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm without a car or a way to get to meetings, and I know that all of you will say for me to get to a meeting, but thats out of the question right now
you have a way to get the drugs and alcohol, you have a way to get to a meeting.
relapse-To regress after partial recovery from illness.
you cant relapse til you get clean and sober.
for me a relapse would end with a drink/drug.
i deal with it by not going into one. i prevent it by doing whatever i have t do to get further away from my last drunk.

when you want to be free more than you want to be high, you will do whatever you have to do to get to a meeting.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

My drugs have always been handed to me. I never really had to work for them. So people telling me to work as hard to get clean as I did to get the pills doesn't really help. Thanks anyway.

I live 20 miles away from the nearest NA meeting and have no money at all to pay for someone else's gas. I can't even buy food. My bf wants to take me to meetings, but only to open ones so he can go too, and that hinders me from sharing and I dont like him being there and I prefer closed meetings. I don't have a working phone as it got turned off because my mom didnt pay the bill so I can't call anyone, and no one gave me any phone numbers when I went to the one NA meeting I could go to so I have no one to call.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not going to be easy for you if you have free drugs and a lot of excuses. What do you think would be a good way to do it?...Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You are using prescription narcotics? Quitting that has got to be tough without support. Have you tried calling and getting a ride to an NA meeting? Service to other addicts is encouraged.

I don't know the particulars, but it seems to me that as long as you have access to your DOC, you will be tempted, and you will use. Rehab will remove you from these temptations. But I guess if meetings are out of the question, so is rehab?

So you tell me, how are you going to stay away from the drugs? What can you do to ensure that you don't contact your dealers?
My mom is my "dealer", and my dad was on hospice and has lots of morphine and dilaudid. I have no choice but to live with them.

I agree with you that if I can get to them, I will use them. I don't have the money for a stay in rehab... I wish I did.

I don't know how I can stay away from the drugs... I cant go no contact with my parents. I dont have the money to move out...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I've been to our AA office in Washington, D.C. and on the wall is a photo of AA's founder, Bill W.'s handwriting where he had written notes to his wife, Lois, about quitting alcohol for good.

He wrote this to her on at least 5 occasions, maybe more.

It took me many times to try to stay stopped before it finally sunk in that I kept doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, but getting the same result every time. Last year it finally clicked!

Keep trying! See if you can change something this time around.... Hopefully, you will get it, too!! How badly do you want to stay stopped or do you want to continue this cycle?

I know you can do it!!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
It's not going to be easy for you if you have free drugs and a lot of excuses. What do you think would be a good way to do it?...Any ideas?
I don't have any ideas. That's why I posted here looking for help. But if all I'm going to get is people telling me that I'm just making excuses and not really trying as hard as I can when I am... That isn't very helpful.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Let your boyfriend take you to open meetings, get women's phone numbers and arrange for rides to closed meetings.....

just a suggestion, at least you can listen for a while!!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

search for online meetings, they do exist.

last post, I hadn't seen you have no phone, sorry.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I mean...You're BF wants to take you to a meeting...But you won't go because you can't share?...That's a little much. How about checking yourself in a clean living house so you can get away from the free drugs you are surrounded with?....I mean...If you want to do this...It's going to take some action. You have to want to stop...And to anything you can...To make that happen...Or it won't.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I've been to our AA office in Washington, D.C. and on the wall is a photo of AA's founder, Bill W.'s handwriting where he had written notes to his wife, Lois, about quitting alcohol for good.

He wrote this to her on at least 5 occasions, maybe more.

It took me many times to try to stay stopped before it finally sunk in that I kept doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, but getting the same result every time. Last year it finally clicked!

Keep trying! See if you can change something this time around.... Hopefully, you will get it, too!! How badly do you want to stay stopped or do you want to continue this cycle?

I know you can do it!!

What are some of the things that helped you?
I'm not giving up. I REALLY want to be sober. As I've said, I'm 22 and have been an addict for 8 years. I'm tired of it. I'm ready to grow up and move on. Things just keep getting in my way... If my car was running, I'd be at meetings everyday. I want this cycle to end. Both of my parents are addicts / alcoholics and they aren't any help to me. I don't have any friends that I can get support from. My boyfriend doesn't understand. This forum and online chat meetings and my NA and AA books are all I have...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

I mean...You're BF wants to take you to a meeting...But you won't go because you can't share?...That's a little much. How about checking yourself in a clean living house so you can get away from the free drugs you are surrounded with?....I mean...If you want to do this...It's going to take some action. You have to want to stop...And to anything you can...To make that happen...Or it won't.
Yes, I know what you are saying about me not going to meetings because of my boyfriend insisting on coming to. I just don't feel comfortable with him there and he makes it very apparent that hes bored and just makes me feel so anxious that I can't even listen or get anything out of the meeting.

Do Clean Living Houses cost anything? Like I said, I have no money. I'm afraid to leave home also because my dad is violent towards my mom if I'm not here.

I'm dying to stop. I cant live like this anymore...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WarriorQueen View Post
Both of my parents are addicts / alcoholics and they aren't any help to me.
Don't you think this is your number one problem here?...And until you change that...Nothing else is going to change?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Do Clean Living Houses cost anything? Like I said, I have no money. I'm afraid to leave home also because my dad is violent towards my mom if I'm not here.

I'm dying to stop. I cant live like this anymore...
Yeah...You can't live like that anymore. It's got to stop....Give me a second...Let's look into some clean living where you are. You can't stay there...That's where you're getting your drugs. Not going to work.
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Wink

Don't you think this is your number one problem here?...And until you change that...Nothing else is going to change?
Yes, but I'm afraid that my dad will hurt or kill my mom if I do move out. I agree with you that my environment is very bad for trying to recover.
  # 19 (permalink)  

There will always be times and places when there will be no support and you'll need to rely solely on YOU. Along with SR I use Rational Recovery for the the "addictive voice" that's always wanting it's drinking pleasure....If you go to the website it has a Crash Course. It only takes a few minutes to read. And that I do daily. Some people use that along with AA...Sober since this April 21...relapse is not an option (although your addictive voice will tell you it is)... Glad you are with us.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First of all, your posting here shows me you want to quit, and you are looking for answers. For that you should be commended. But you are in a challenging mess.

I don't have any ideas. That's why I posted here looking for help. But if all I'm going to get is people telling me that I'm just making excuses and not really trying as hard as I can when I am... That isn't very helpful.
Please don't get defensive. We only see what gets posted, by you, and maybe we leap to assumptions, but everyone taking the time to respond to you would love to see you kick this addiction to the curb.

However, you are in a situation with some pretty screwed up dynamics. From everything you are telling us, the only option you have is to say, "No!"

How is that working for you? Not good. You are going to have to think outside the box. As long as your list of "can'ts" is longer than your "cans" you are going to be struggling mightily.

You HAVE to get out of your current situation. We can't tell you how to do that. But as long as you are home, with enabling parents, and access to drugs, I foresee big problems. It is easy for me to say, leave. I'm not in your shoes. But YOU have to do something. Establish bounderies where your mom doesn't give you drugs no matter how much you beg, threaten or curse.