Notices

AA question

Old 06-07-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA question

Hi All,

I have read the BB and feel that I do much of the stepping already in my life as a spiritual journey that is personal in nature. i know its not the same, but here is my actual question. Is it o.k. to go to an AA meeting with the intention of enjoying the meetings, meeting people to hang out with that are sober, but not wanting to get a sponsor and officially work the steps. Thanks for your imput. Have a happy and sober evening.

Wonder

Oh, and if I don't respond much, this weekend is crazy with family. so thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Working the steps is encouraged but from what i've always heard the only requirement for membership is the sincere desire to stop drinking. But don't be surprised if a couple of oldtimers "encourage" you to get a sponsor and work the steps, lol.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Working the steps is encouraged but from what i've always heard the only requirement for membership is the sincere desire to stop drinking. But don't be surprised if a couple of oldtimers "encourage" you to get a sponsor and work the steps, lol.
I second that!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.stick around long enough and it will rub off on ya.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What do they say?...It would be like going to a carnival and watching everyone else on the rides?...I don't see any reason why you can't do that.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sure. why not? I have been int he rooms for 602 days and I have worked steps 1-7. stalled on 8 and 9. I do have a sponsor -- my third one actually, but the only one I have done step work with.

I attend meetings with someone who has 19 years of sobriety, but just did an 8th step a few months ago. By the way, he has nothing that I see that I equate with true sobriety other than abstaining from alcohol and drugs.

I guess the question I have for you is why not get a sponsor? Why not start the journey of the steps?

Bottom line, I think if you start hitting a few meetings a week you might change you rmind.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
The oldtimers would be remiss if they didn't ......

All the best

Bob R
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not a problem at all. If you have a desire to stop drinking, you're welcome.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I think it's fine as long as you are not there to dissect or tear down the program. I don't get that vibe from you at all, but for the sake of all those reading, I HAVE been to meetings during which people who were not interested in working the steps spoke out against them or felt the need to use meeting time to justify their choice to not do the program.

I think that is inappropriate, and essentially thievery. People come to the meetings to learn the program and get support in working the program. As long as that process and purpose is not interrupted it's all good. It is for each individual to determine how best to work their own recovery and to respect the choices others make determining their recovery as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go ahead and go. I'll bet you will like it!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Definitely not there to dissect the steps. Just want to add more depth and tools to my journey. Not saying that I won't end up going through it all. I am just someone who likes to get my feet wet before deciding to jump in. Too bad I ever dipped those same feet into alcohol. I can remember that day vividly. 3 beers. The water seemed just right. Then, well, the storm rolled in. Thanks again to all who gave their advice. Not sure when I will attend, but will let you know when I do.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I didnt have a sponsor for 2 months and i went to the meetings because I enjoyed the people and the socializing afterwards. Theres nothing wrong with that. But eventually I did get sucked right on in and I am halfway through the steps right now and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you FlyerFan...I like to see people get sucked into doing the steps. It's a pretty amazing ride.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I like rides

You know what my real hesitation is at the moment though. Its that I live in a decent sized town. Not a city, but good size on the waterfront. I am afraid at seeing people that I know. I am afraid of word getting around to neighbors as the building is only a short walk from my house. I know in the end, my sobriety is more important that this, but it is one reason I have yet to walk through those doors. Darn....After writing this, its almost like a personal dare. Thanks again. Family is up this weekend. If you don't here from me, I hope everyone enjoys the weekend ahead.

Wonder
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well...If you do run into someone you know...You should be happy for them for trying to free themselves from this horrific progressive disease...Just like you are there to do.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Is it a known AA clubhouse?

Have you heard about anyone else attending?

Just curious.....
Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I went to meetings without a having a sponsor and without working the steps. I went back out and drank. Now I have a sponsor, I'm working the steps, and for the first time in 3 years, I've been able to put together 90+ days of sobriety. I guess that kind of speaks for itself.

Oh, and as far as seeing someone you know ... I live in a small resort town of less than 10,000 people and I had the same fear. Just remember, even if you DO see someone you know in the rooms, they are there for the same reason you are.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If anyone says: "Hey, I saw so and so at an AA meeting" then they will be asked: "Oh, do you go there?"
It is a double negative. Outing someone at AA instantly outs the outer. Anonymity is one of the cornerstones of the program. I have never witnessed any problems with people's anonymity being broken. I have heard of situations where it has happened, but it seems to be very unusual. If you are worried about it, you could try out some meetings outside your neighborhood.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi wonderful

AA is an anonyamous program and for many of us that tradition is sacred
That means.."Who you here here, what you hear here stays here." Yeah, there are some that for get that, but that's on them.

If you say You say are a member and have a desire to not drink...then you are a member and no one can tell you otherwise..once in the doors it is a journey of suggestion. That means.."Take what you need and leave the rest."

If you see something someone has that you want...ask them about it and how they got it...
Then pay it forward...that is putting gratitude into action

Peace on the journey
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thanks everyone.