Notices

AA question

Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

An old timer at my 4th meeting put it this way:
"It's easy to stay sober. Only takes two things. Don't drink, and keep coming to meetings!".

I'm on day 45. I attend a meeting or two a week. I'm partially thru reading the big book but no sponsor yet, and I'm past the first step. That's not as easy as it sounds.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well sure, there is only one requirement for membership, has as been pointed out, a desire to quit drinking.

I think though, that my experience in the fellowship became much richer and more rewarding the more I tried to work the steps into my life. Perhaps you will find the same.

It works if you work it...

BTW... I do stuff with other AAs pretty regularly, and we have a great time. Fishing, Hunting, Music Events, Skiing.... So, jump in.

Meh, I live in a small close knit community and there is a meeting or two that I don't attend... like the one at the church where the Boy Scouts meet on another night and I am a leader... LOL,... but otherwise, I quit worrying about that being seen a long time ago.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by wonderfullife View Post
Hi All,

I have read the BB and feel that I do much of the stepping already in my life as a spiritual journey that is personal in nature. i know its not the same, but here is my actual question. Is it o.k. to go to an AA meeting with the intention of enjoying the meetings, meeting people to hang out with that are sober, but not wanting to get a sponsor and officially work the steps. Thanks for your imput. Have a happy and sober evening.

Wonder

Oh, and if I don't respond much, this weekend is crazy with family. so thanks in advance!
Sure its okay, only an old stick in the mud would tell you different, Some AA members are just ole sorry sacks bzzybodys that have nothing better to do but bizzy it up in AA type matters
Old 06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by wonderfullife View Post
I like rides

You know what my real hesitation is at the moment though. Its that I live in a decent sized town. Not a city, but good size on the waterfront. I am afraid at seeing people that I know. I am afraid of word getting around to neighbors as the building is only a short walk from my house. I know in the end, my sobriety is more important that this, but it is one reason I have yet to walk through those doors. Darn....After writing this, its almost like a personal dare. Thanks again. Family is up this weekend. If you don't here from me, I hope everyone enjoys the weekend ahead.

Wonder
Everyone has this worry in the beginning. But if you see someone in a meeting they are there for the same exact reason and they will not tell on you if you do not tell on them. Anonimity is wonderful.

So what if your neighbors find out. Neighbors are supposed to be nosy and gossipy arent they? lol.

I was worried about someone seeing me in a meeting, but I was never ever worried about them seeing me drunk in public. And believe me, I have made a real ass of myself in public before. LOL
Old 06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I first went to AA I thought I was smart enough to "sponsor" myself.

Turns out, I had an idiot for a sponsor and I had to fire him.