Notices

Yes I Am New

Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yes I Am New

Hello everyone : ) I am a newly recovered pain killer addict and decided to join this message board because with my new recovery I find myself completely bored and not sure what to do with myself most of the time! And I usually have no idea how to deal with any kind of emotions because I have been so used to numbing them! So I thought that maybe this site will help a bit.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wldflower....Glad to have you here...The more you get involved here...The more it will help. Lot of good people here just like you.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Wldflower)) - Welcome to SR!! This forum has been a huge part of my recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to SR. Have you looked into NA meetings? They're great for support and to break up the boredom. They're also a safe place to let your emotions out. How about therapy? Are you seeing a therapist or counselor? Having someone to guide you through what your going through and beginning to feel can really help. Consider starting a journal. Writing about how your feeling and what your going through can really help. Being able to read through those pages and mark your progress and see what you've been experiencing can teach you a lot about yourself and your addiction. I hope you find the help, love and support your looking for here. This is a great site!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi...I'm in week seven, using RS and Rational Recovery. Every day my thinking has improved and I'm gaining interests so the boredom is passing. It takes time for the brain to heal. I let my creativity go for years. Now I'm getting back into my art and other projects. It's very exciting so hang in there. About emotions. I don't ignore them or deny them. I FEEL them all the way through until they pass. At the end I feel a release and I usually end up crying then feeling so good. Covering up the emotions is why I drank in the first place! Don't be afraid...welcome them. Keep in touch.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to a to the first day of the rest of your great life.

NO doubt that you're in a great place for support. Also look at a structured recovery program. Makes it a lot easier
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

try the arcade.. it is a great way to take your mind off of things x
Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wldflower - we're so happy you're here. I think it'll help to talk to others who've been there. I'm an alkie, but I felt just the same in early recovery. We really do have to learn to live again, in a different way. You will get there. Congratulations on getting clean.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome wldflower

I found that after I quit, I'd kinda lost the ability to amuse & occupy myself - all my fun and sociability came from a bottle for a good many years.

I spent a lot of time on my couch.

You can get it back tho - do you have any hobbies or interests? anything you'd like to do?

The world is your oyster really - you just need to not go to that default position on on the couch

D