Notices

It's been a while.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

It's been a while.

Hey Y'all.

The last time I posted I lost my job, my grandmother who raised me was diagnosed with terminal cancer and a week later my mom (who is paralyzed from the neck down) Went into the hospital for a couple weeks (she needs constant supervision). I had a great deal of things happen to me lately. My sobriety was kind of put on the back burner for a little while because I was just too messed up in the head to deal with self pity without the alcohol. Eerything is a struggle with me lately and for once, drinking on weekends wasn't the worst of my concerns. Living off of unemployment, trying to keep the power on, taking my grandmother to chemo and taking care of my mom became top priority and I lost perspective. Stupid, I know. Anyway, the weekend drinking is becoming a nuisance seeings how im still able to put down 18 - 24 cans a night on Saturday and Sunday. SO, today is day 4 again. Im definitely not looking for praise on this since the **** that comes out of my mouth is so redundant its like the "Boy who cried wolf" story all over again. When so many other people depend on you to take care of them it is very difficult to take care of yourself. I am seeing this more than ever. However, I am not making excuses because after all, there isn't one. I just wanted to pop in and say hi to all of you. It has been a while and I hope everyone is doing great.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back, Dom.

And try to remember that you need to take care of yourself, first. Otherwise you won't be able to help anyone else. I believe that your recovery is the most important thing.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dominica2...Good to see you aren't giving up!...Do what you have to do. Congrats on day 4!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks Anna. I am trying to be more self aware now.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks Sap!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's good to see you....Now get busy!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Both my sponsor and I have had really bad stuff happen to family members this week. We were talking yesterday and basically said "thank God we are sober to them." To help others, it really helps to take care of yourself first.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dom !! Good to see you.

Prayers for your family.

all the best.

Bob R
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep looking forward Dominica2.....I'm on day 10 again after 5 yrs of slamming down those beers...and before that, 13 years of sobriety...."Know matter how wrong we went...we can always turn around." Missy
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just want to point out that you have a major part down that many of us strive for, and that is thinking more about others than ourselves. Everything you do for your family is not taken for granted and I guarantee you everyone is grateful for all the help you do for them, even if they don't always say it. If you can get away from drinking on the weekends to cope with stress, etc, you will be well on your way to happiness, as you have already learned not to think about yourself first.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks everyone. I have always loved the encouragement I get here. I just need to stop drinking for myself and not anyone else. It always seems that I akways do it for someone else though. Maybe thats the reason I havent been successful at it.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
It always seems that I always do it for someone else though. Maybe thats the reason I havent been successful at it.
You could be on to something Dom....I think it took me 20 years of drinking to figure that out.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Dom... sounds like you've had a lot going on that's so difficult.. I'm really sorry to hear about it. I looked after my mother when she had terminal cancer... I kept the drinking down (to a point) but after she died bets were off

I guess the one thing I wish I'd tried to do was not drink and look after myself. I know it's really hard to take care of yourself if you're grieving or looking after others but try to seize any opportunity to get the support you need (I was lousy at asking for help).

Good luck with not drinking, you can do it, take care of yourself in amongst it all.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to see you Dominica.:ghug3
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Glad to see you're back, Dominica. Life will always take twists and turns; all we can control is how we respond. I've found sober responses to be much more rewarding, and much less damaging.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Yeah, I gotta be honest though, day 4 is always hell for me. Im used to it by now though. I wish people could be put on hold for about 36 hours so I can lock myself up and sleep through it (if I could sleep).
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey great to see you back, wish you well, what is important is that you are back fighting again!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back Dom - some awesome advice here

D
Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Dom,

I have thought of you often. I am so sorry that you are dealing with a lot of stress right now. But, I know you are strong and a fighter So glad to have you back
Old 06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Sorry welcome back.

No apologies needed. Each relapse I had I always went to an answer Sister Ignatia gave when asked, when do you give up on a alcoholic? " util they have taken their last breath.":ghug3