Notices

Only day 5 and thinking of having a drink

Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Only day 5 and thinking of having a drink

Got a full on beer crave going on here, not good. Going to go for a walk, then hopefully I might sleep it off.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Nigel and do anything except take the first drink. Going on a walk is good! Really good to post here and share it, take some power out of it. Can you call anyone? Ride it out, it will pass and you'll be glad you didn't drink.

It does get better, promise!!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nigel, walking helps so much. Any exercise, especially any exercise that involves getting outdoors, can make all the difference; at least that's been my experience. I know how hard it is, but you'll feel so much better if you don't cave. You can do it!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, you've already helped me a great deal with your encouragement, much appreciated. Hope your keeping well friends.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You too, Nigel. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might be craving sugar, I hear that happens to some people. Drink a lot of water, have a good meal. I've started with drinking right after work for years when I should have just had a snack instead, so being hungry can trigger a craving for me. A walk/run is good too, generally you won't run into a beer cart vendor on the way (at least not where I live, I suppose you could if you lived in Vegas pretty easily).

Good luck sir
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

here is SMART on dealing with urges and cravings.

5 Ways to Deal With Urges and Cravings | SMART RecoveryŽ

they are perfectly normal. the part of your brain that associates drinking with pleasure (dopamine) is very angry right now. but it cannot act on its own -- it can only act through manipulating your thought processes in the desperate attempt to get you to drink.

a trick I use is to imagine a big bold sign that says 'STOP THOUGHT' every time I think of beer. occasionally the boundaries are less than clear cut, it isn't always immediately obvious that my addictive voice is having its say.

the more thoughts and urges you endure, the less powerful they will become, and will eventually die their death.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

"Thinking" isn't "drinking"...thoughts pass. Stay strong.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

When drinking thoughts come promptly focus on something else, anything. Its called grounding, focus on your surroundings, notice whats happening around, try to deeply feel the physically presence around you, notice colors, count how many there are, what kind of textures are around, patterns what types; The point is to be so distracted from you drinking thoughts that they fade away.

Try it and write about the experience here at SR. A another distraction from drinking thoughts.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took to all your advice and I've not give in. Had something to eat and carton of fruit juice, feel better, thanks, )
Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Nigel

Proud of you for reaching out!!

So glad you thought it through..
We don't have to act on our thoughts...I learned to recognize they are there and just watch 'em pass. One day at a time can be broken down to one minute at a time

Peace on the journey
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, Nigel, and the comments from everyone. Sure helped me right now during a bout of anger here on my 4th day and wanting to head to the store. Keep going, Nigel. We can do this!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Remember....HALT

Never get too Hungry...Angry...Lonely...Tired. That's when we have our guard down.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you never gave in Fairenough, anger can be so hard to deal with, and drink is the quickest way to calm down, however even when u remain sober, anger passes in time. I found that out yesterday. I went to get a beer from the shop, the queue was that long, I got sick of waiting, eventually I calmed down, saw sense and put can back.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Nigel1969 View Post
anger can be so hard to deal with, and drink is the quickest way to calm down,...
Quickest has a price, for me a very high potentially deadly price. Just saying.

Originally Posted by Nigel1969 View Post
however even when u remain sober, anger passes in time. I found that out yesterday. I went to get a beer from the shop, the queue was that long, I got sick of waiting, eventually I calmed down, saw sense and put can back.
Anger dose pass when sober. Also ones anger can be lessened or even resolved with sobriety, especially with a recovery plan to learn such things.

Great job on letting go of that beer, that is sober progress...good going!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job, Nigel. The cravings get less & less as you go along. I never think about drinking anymore - I never dreamed that day would come, because once it was what I lived for. You'll feel a little stronger every day - we're glad you're here.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

This thread made me smile. Congrats Nigel and great job SR on being there. This is a shining example of the power of this community and what it's all about. Thank you for reaching out, Nigel. Thank you all.