Notices

Hello, 20 days sober, need advice...

Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, 20 days sober, need advice...

Hello, my name is Samantha. I am 27 and have been drinking heavily for about 10 years. I stopped once cold turkey for 9 weeks in basic training for the Army about 2 years into my drinking habits, but did not go through any withdrawals and went right back to my old ways. Since then I have gotten out of the military and just decided to stop drinking about 20 days ago. Right off the bat on day one I had a huge panic attack and was convinced I was dying. Unfortunately, I do not have any medical insurance and one ER visit would pretty much screw over my family (6 yr old twin boys and husband). So I rode it out (that was my first panic attack ever). Since then I have been having them pretty much daily with intense anxiety. I will wake up in the middle of the night thinking I have died and I am in the afterlife. I will think that there is something wrong with my brain. I will feel like there is something wrong with my blood or veins. I have bad nausea, headaches, neck and back aches, etc. I like to think this is just me getting over everything and my physical body getting back to normal, but in the panicked state that I am in, I am not too sure. I guess I just need some reassurance or advice on how to make this more manageable. The panic attacks are extreme and sometimes I don't even feel like I am in reality anymore. I usually take a bath, drink some tea, and know that in an hour or so it will pass. Sometimes I will take extra strength Tylenol which helps, but I don't like putting more chemicals in my body. How long can I expect this to go on? I don't even crave alcohol and haven't since I quit. I don't see myself ever touching it again. I just want these horrible feelings to end. How long do this initial stage of withdrawal usually last? I would drink anywhere from 1 - 10 beers a night. I am 5'6'' about 130 lbs.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gnome

Withdrawals and post acute withdrawal symptoms vary a lot by individual. Best to get some medical advice.

You may want to review using Tylenol

Tylenol Liver Damage - How Tylenol Can Damage the Liver
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. Any personal experiences with how long initial withdrawal symptoms last would be very helpful for me at this point. I cannot go to a hospital because we are tight on money and I have no insurance. I know everything is in my head anyways.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome GnomeLover...I don't think you are going through Post Acute Withdrawal yet...Early withdrawal is more like it. If you are at 20 days that should get better by the day. You should be through the worst of it. I think the anxiety of giving it up may be bothering you...It drove me nuts. I found it nice to be around people that had been where I was. Just going to one AA meeting made me feel better. You should try one. Meet some people that know what you are going through. Something about not feeling so alone worked wonders for me. I haven't had a drink in 11 months since. If you feel like you can't take it anymore...Go to the ER...Cost or not. I went to that one meeting and it put me at ease and gave me hope. It might be worth a try.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, when I first quit drinking for the first 3 weeks I had insomnia, extreme night sweats (ugh!), dizziness, nightmares and felt just out of balance physically...top that w/anxiety & small panic attacks. I believe my body was trying to heal itself. Getting out all the toxins in my system. I had a few slips inbetween over the last bit & everytime I drank, even if just for a day, the withdrawals would be there, but just for a shorter period, like a day or two.

Since we can't give medical advise here, that is just my own experience & it did pass w/time. I am still having anxiety, but I think now it's due to me having to actually "feel" my feelings instead of numbing them all the time.

I have to say though, some people have withdrawals that can be deadly, so seeing a Dr. If you are worried, would be my next step.

Good luck & you can do this! Welcome to SR
Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How long can I expect this to go on?
how long do you want it to go on? the mind of an alcoholic( not sayin yer one) is just as abnormal as their body and without change, an alcoholics chance at staying sober are less than average.
however, with a psychic change, the same person who seemd doomed to a life of gloom,dispair, and misery, stays sober and has a very happy life.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

GnomeLover:

I'm in day 10 myself and I have had some of the same symptoms you are having. I quit on my own and on day 2 had a panic attack where I literally thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER and they did EKG's and blood tests which showed all my functions to be OK. Since then I have had some mild attacks and also have anxiety that make me think something is wrong, but I know from the last visit at least that it is not. I hope the symptoms go away eventually too, they make me feel very very weird.

Having said that are there any free clinics or VA hospitals in your area ( you said you were in the army? ) It would most likely make you feel better even if nothing is wrong, and you should find out if somethign is actually wrong if you can. Your life is a very precious thing and even though a paid trip to the doctor may be expensive it is probalby worth it to you and your family. Best of luck, lots of folks here for support if you need it.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You guy have all been so helpful and welcoming, I just wanted to say Thank-You for that.

Yesterday I had 5 panic attacks in a row and decided I would just bite the bullet and go to the ER. They did an EKG, Chest Xray, urine, blood, stool sample, and a couple other things. Turns out the only thing wrong with me is that I was hypokalemic (low potassium). Doc gave me some potassium pills, an IV, and recommended that I eat more bananas and nuts. He also gave me a prescription for a drug called Xanax, which I should take as needed ONLY for intense panic attacks during my recovery process. They also said they will work out a payment plan with me so the financial shock from the medical care won't be as bad. Overall I am happy I went. Just the peace of mind from knowing there is nothing wrong with my physical body has helped me immensely. I slept all night last night and did not wake up panicking as usual. Now I just need to work on the mental dependency to alcohol and I will be on my way to living life completely sober. The doctor had said what many of you mentioned here, that the panic attacks were coming from being forced to actually deal with my issues, instead of drinking them away nightly. In time I will learn coping strategies and my brain will use those instead of going into panic mode.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I knew I should have been a doctor...Ha...Watch out for the Xanax...They are addictive little buggers.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. I had bad panic attacks. Google urge surfing. It changed my life. I don't have panic attacks anymore. Love to you.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....
I'm so glad you did go and found a knowledgeable doctor.

Have you considered useing a local support group?
I've found AA to be an awesome adventure in all areas of life..
And or....
Perhaps there is a Vet Center near you?

Panic attacks are not part of my history...alcohol caused me depression instead.

Thank you for your military service to our country.

Blessings to the 4 of you
Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

there are cheap generic anxiolytics you could consult your doctor about.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Be careful with the Xanax. You should definitely not drink while taking it, and it can be very addictive. I hope the doctor told you this, but you never know.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gordano View Post
Be careful with the Xanax. You should definitely not drink while taking it, and it can be very addictive. I hope the doctor told you this, but you never know.
He was very specific about that. I truly don't plan to ever drink again. It has caused too much negativity already and I don't want it in my life. The Dr. was also really adamant about only using Xanax as needed after I try all other things (relaxation, taking bath, herbal teas, deep breathing, a walk, etc.)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome....
I'm so glad you did go and found a knowledgeable doctor.

Have you considered useing a local support group?
I've found AA to be an awesome adventure in all areas of life..
And or....
Perhaps there is a Vet Center near you?

Panic attacks are not part of my history...alcohol caused me depression instead.

Thank you for your military service to our country.

Blessings to the 4 of you
I went to AA meetings a few times but I find that having friends and family works better for me at this point. I am always open to going again though.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GnomeLover

I'm really glad you decided to see a Dr after all
glad you've joined us - welcome!

D