Notices

New to sr and need help

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to sr and need help

Im new to the site and have been drinking heavly for 6 years. It all started when I got fired from a job I had that I got hurt at. It was the first time I had ever been fired and it hit me hard. I ended up sueing the company, made some money off it and there was no limit on money spending. Thats when the drinking started to get bad, at first it was only on weekends or on special events, then it was add a day here and there and before I knew it it was everyday and for any reason I could think of. My breaking point was when my wife had asked me if I got sick all over the kitchen and went back to bed and just left it, I dont remeber doing this at all. Im in some need of help my mind keeps telling me I want it but deep down inside I hate the fact I drink. As of right now im only one day sober and I want that relationship I had with my wife when we first meet. I know all my drinking has done some effect on my marrige but she is being very supportive about me getting better. I know its bad when I got home from work yesterday and I poured the rest of my beer down the sink and it was like I was poiring my soul right out of me. Please someone out there give me some advice how to make this eaiser to cope with. Thank you
Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You came to a great place, donedrinking. SR has helped me stay sober for the past two weeks, and that's after a couple decades of drinking. The support, wisdom and caring in here is pretty special. Welcome!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Your story is similar to most of our stories; progressive drinking with increasingly serious and unpleasant consequences. It is possible to change this and there is a lot of help and support available here. What most of us have come to realise is that we can't do this alone. The more we reach out to others, the better our chances of recovery.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The way your drinking spiraled into alcoholism is pretty much par for the course. It must have been hard as hell to pour out that beer, but that is a great first step. I found it much easier to cope with my alcoholism by confiding in my wife and replacing my addition for alcohol for an addiction for her love. The more I respected her, and valued her, the easier it was to escape the fog of alcohol. In addition to this, a support group (like this website) or better yet AA will help you stay sober. Finally, you really need to develop a hobby and allow yourself to grow as a person. Gain confidence in yourself by exercising and actually doing something healthy for your body and soul.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Done

Sounds like you experienced a black out. Its a tell tale sign on as endless pointed is a progressive process which gets worse , not better.

Stick around here , lots of great folks here and lots of resources about programs to help us through getting well.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Done,

Pouring it is the easy part, not buying more is the hard part!

(Don't even "just go for a walk" carrying your wallet because, trust me, your feet will walk you to the nearest liquor store against your will. By all means, take your phone for safety and your keys to get back inside, but NEVER your wallet).
Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've done the same thing....puked all over my kitchen and didnt have any memory of it. Also done some damage to my marriage but he's still here and praying I'm sure, that I'll get better. Thankfully there is a Starbucks within walking distance I can grab the stroller and my wee ones and take a nice walk. I love iced green tea. I'm only 3 days sober and haven't made that walk to Starbucks yet but that's my plan when I get weak. Good luck, you can do this.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donedrinkinbeer View Post
Please someone out there give me some advice how to make this eaiser to cope with. Thank you
You want advice?....I'll tell you what worked for me. Find someone that's done what you want to do...And let them show you how to do it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This place has helped me a lot, even though I've had a couple of slips. Because the people here understand. It took a lot for me to stop telling myself that I was ok. To stop making excuses. And now... I can't say that the voice has gone away. I can't say that I'm not tempted. But I know where that road goes now. And that knowledge... is the thing that keeps me away from it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there "donedrinkin". I think your soul has been tugging at you to come to the place you are right now. I'm on day number 10 after 5 years of heavy beer drinking. So glad I found this site...a great place to come to any day or hour....Much support here and lots of wisdom....we are all in this together....
Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcom mem2812...Congrats on day 10...Why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

By the way...Beer was my poison...It almost killed me...I knew when a case a day wasn't enough it was getting bad. I was a fricken slow learner.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all the support its gonna be a tough road to travel.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome donedrinkinbeer

I very much identify with wanting the old me and my old life back.
It is possible, and you'll find a lot of support here.

Are you open to the idea of recovery programmes like AA or alternatives like SMART, Rational Recovery, LifeRing etc?

D
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to SR. I tried to quit on my own many a time. I went to rehab a couple of times but drank my way through the Intensive Outpatient portion of it. I've finally found sobriety through AA. I gave up trying to beat alcohol by myself and relying on my willpower alone. The fellowship of AA and finding some kind of Higher Power to help me through the hard times have gotten me this far. Those and total honesty with myself and those around me. The honesty part was the hardest but the most rewarding thing i've done for myself. It's so liberating. I can't describe how wonderful it is not to lie, keep up with lies, carry the guilt of lies...i'm not perfect by far but i'm a lot better and i like myself a lot more.

I hope you find the help and support you are looking for here. It's a wonderful place to be!