Notices

A 24 Hr- Binge!!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A 24 Hr- Binge!!

Needed to share some thoughts on a 24 Hour Binge which started Sunday Evening till Monday. I have been having these binges on a average of 1 per month. I start with one drink, never seem to stop and continue the whole night way into next evening without an ounce of sleep or without any food. In that process, go through black outs (I don't remember phases of the binge), probably act in an embarrassing manner, drunk call and text friends and sometimes am verbally abusive. I have lost so many friends cause of this and I feel many more friends have had enough of putting up with me. The next morning is the deadly calm after the storm- I don't recollect who I spoke to, my stomach burns with acidity, feel extremely nauseous, energy sapped and it takes me 2-3 days to recover from 1 binge session and I sleep for almost 1-2 days. My health is in for a toss, no productive work is done for 3 days plus I have to deal with the ignominy of being reminded of my behavior. I am 32 yrs old and a soon to be dad I really want to put an end to this. I pray and am actually envious of people who have a couple of drinks and know where to stop.

I know it runs in my family as my dad was an alcoholic and it's impossible to answer people as to why I can't stop with a light buzz or a couple of drinks. I need some sincere advice as to how I go about this cause I certainly don't want my kids to see me this way. I probably drink 12-15 times / year but they have all been binges. Would appreciate some help- Prashant
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started off bingeing. But it progressed to every night. For me, one sip means drinking until I pass out. That's why I quit. I wish you the best.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found Alcoholics Anonymous to be just the treatment for my condition.

Might just be the ticket for you as well.....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

My problem was daily drinking. I think it is. A biological problem. Fstay away from that first drink and we will be fine.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Welcome, Prash.

Like you and Pinkdog, I also started as a binge/periodic drinker on the weekends. Would drink heavily on Friday and Saturday, then spend all day Sunday recovering. Since this is a progressive disease, it only took a couple of years before the weekends became every day, ALL day. It has a way of creeping up on you.

Good thing you are doing something about this now. Can you imagine doing this behavior every day instead of just once a month? Think of the damage you could cause to yourself and others. Do you have some kind of program in mind to help you? Such as AA, AVRT, SMART, etc.? Some folks can do it on their own without any help, but most of us need something to teach us the tools we need to stay sober when life gets challenging. Support is critical, so it's good that you're here; we will do our best to help.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

glad ya see ya gotta problem. ya may want to do some reading in on the link i posta nd see if you can relater to any of it. if, so, AA has a great solution.

Big Book On Line
Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Binge drinking means death drinking...it can kill you instantly from accidents and overdose etc.... I am lucky to survive from all those accidents and still alive. I quit drinking mainly because of that. If no first drink there is no last drink....last ones never ends for an alcoholic....
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Prash , my drinking has always tended to be binge but I am now some years past my 30's. The only things I can say is that I never did nor can I stop at one ....the reason? I am an alcoholic. I don't know if you are , only you can decide.

Mine started at 1 day but it never got better for me ....and it always starts with 1 drink.

Whether you choose AA or not , have a look at the Big Book as tomsteve has posted above....to me it describes the condition in plain language. Maybe it can help you answer the question as to whether your might be an alcoholic or not...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Prash, that was me before. I could have just one drink and thats it. It time I would drinking all night long. After some time, I would drink a few days leading to weeks which I am at now. It's not a road you want to travel on. Although 24 hours of binge is bad but wait until you go for weeks. Your story will not end well long. I truly don't see you going for 20 years old heavy drinking and still have a job well. Meaning, getting drunk at night and then going to work and repeating that process. You may come out like me that when you stop you can't until you get too sick to put the alcohol in the mouth anymore.

I know you want to be like most people that they can have that one or two drink and that's it but it's really not worth it. You have family that are alcoholic and you don't want to be one of those people that goes on drinking like that for 5 to 20 years and realize it's just not worth it anymore. It gets harder to quit when you keep doing it.

Life sux sometimes but just because you can't drink does not mean it's over. Good luck and hope you stick around on SR!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Would personally like to thank every individual for taking the time to reply. On the contrary, from binge drinking once/week I have brought that down to once/month. Abstinence, I am sure is the only way forward but isn't there someone who figured out a technique to stop with few drinks and not binge? There r a lot of social, business and personal pleasures to be given up with quitting. Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prash View Post
isn't there someone who figured out a technique to stop with few drinks and not binge?
No. Save yourself the effort of looking for the answer to this question The answer is no.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If there was a technique to stop after a few drinks, do you really think we would all be here?

There are no tricks, no techniques, nothing that can make an addict stop drinking. When you cross the invisible line to addiction, there is no going back.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Given that you always binge when you drink I'd say your chances of ever drinking "socially" are nil. I too wondered what I"d do without drinking but have found I can do anything and do it better.

If you've got a child on the way you'll want to stop this destructive behavior. You've come to a great place for support. Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My binges started out as 24-hour stretches too. I've tried moderating for 12 years now unsuccessfully. My last binge was ten days long--ten days of non-stop drinking interrupted by stretches unconsciousness--and the consequences were awful.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

isn't there someone who figured out a technique to stop with few drinks and not binge?
Not me and I tried for 20 years. In the end I had to accept when I ingest alcohol, I change - it's like I flip a switch...

I have no control once that happens. I do have the control to choose not to drink.

No matter how frequently or infrequently you're doing it - if you're regretting it, isn't that one time too many Prash?

There r a lot of social, business and personal pleasures to be given up with quitting. Any thoughts?
Personally, drinking ceased to be pleasurable for me a long time before I quit.

I think you're looking for reasons not to quit entirely - and I understand that - it's a momentous decision.

I can honestly say I lost nothing by getting into recovery - my friends are real friends again - not drinking buddies...

I have a full life packed with happy moments and pleasures...

and although I'm not in business I'm more productive & successful in my endeavours now than I ever was as a drinker.

I'm sure other sober business men and women will chime in with their experiences too Prash

Look around - none of us would be here in recovery if we lost out on the deal

D