Notices

Newly sober, new to SR

Old 06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober, new to SR

Hey Everyone! Let me start by saying my name is Tim, im 24 years old and have just started my sobriety 3 days ago. Ive been drinking a case of beer everyday for the past seven years. I never thought id have such a problem quitting until i recently decided to. My motivation is great to keep going, i just welcomed my first child 5 months ago, a beautiful healthy girl. So finally three days ago i gave up drinking and smoking cold turkey. Now that ive told my story my main concern now is the withdraws. Tonight is the worst theyve been including such things as naseua, anxiety, very frequent bathroom visits and depression, but im glad to be here this evening looking to hopefully get over this disease of an addiction ive suffered from for what seems like forever! Thanks for taking the time to read my post....needed to get it out
Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!! This site is full of wonderful support. Read and post often. Congrats on your new baby girl! She deserves to have a sober daddy. You can do this!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tim. I'm new too. I'm on day 2. I have two beautiful wee ones at home. I don't ever want them to see this and remember it because they have already seen it.

Welcome! We can do this!! Our babies deserve it!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Couldnt agree more Peaceful, my drinking had a huge impact with the relationship i had with my daughters mother which unfortunately is far passed recovery at this point. But keep your head up. Someone told me yesterday, if you ever start thinking about drinking think about your daughter and so far thats all im trying to do. Im sure you already do think about your kids all the time. But it took someone telling me that to get the drinking off my mind when it was all i was thinking about and craving
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome TMR0605!

Congratulations on getting sober! It feels strange at first, and a bit scary, but once I got through the first days, my anxiety went way down and I actually started looking forward to day when I woke up in the morning.

The cravings (and that addicted part of us) don't go away right away, but the more you persevere, the easier it gets. Welcome to the forum - glad you're here!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome Welcome Aboard.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Congratulations on sobriety and your new baby girl. One day at a time!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, you'll find lots of support here!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Tim - you'll fins a lot of support here

Don't hesitate to see your Dr or go to the ER if you feel unwell - detox can be rough for some of us.

D
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yeah, just echoing the standard warning that alcohol withdrawal can be a nasty animal, potentially harmful or fatal, unlike nicotine or weed or etc. so don't hesitate to seek care. luckily I'm young enough and didn't drink enough to get the shakes or anything like that.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Tim. Congratulations on quitting. With a little perseverance, that baby will never see dad drunk.

If you're on day three, you're at about the worst time for most people. It might still get a little worse, but not much. Keep hydrated, keep moving around, and make sure that you're eating something. If you haven't already gotten sugar cravings, you probably will soon. That's normal, and if it helps, knock yourself out.