SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   new to sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/258826-new-sobriety.html)

drynites 06-06-2012 05:06 PM

new to sobriety

Hi this is my first post, I have been drinking for a long time too long to remember. I had a DUI in 1997 and was given a 2 year ban, I vowed never to do it again, but as i didnt have to drive i would walk to the pub have a few pints then walk home this then developed to drinking lager at home 3/4 cans. 3 years ago I had a unit which i was drinking in now it was 8 or so cans a night, I went to councilling last January but due to working away it only last 3 months and i was still drink as heavily it came to a head in November and I went to the doctors I stopped drinking with only 2 blips then about a month i started again but this time neat vodka, I usually go on 2 day binges then dont drink for a few days until this weekend when I drank 2 large bottles instead of 1 or 2 small ones, I drove my car crashed and am lucky to still be alive. I have visited the Doctors yet again for the "this is you last chance meeting"
I have decided I must do something seriously and am going to AA asap. My DW found this site and introduced me I hope it can help me as much it has her. I am looking forward to your help and support and hope to eventually give mine :tyou

OklaBH 06-06-2012 05:11 PM

WELCOME! You will love it here! Your post already helped me! SO there you go...already giving support!

:sprinkler

Dee74 06-06-2012 05:21 PM

welcome to SR drynites :)

D

awuh1 06-06-2012 05:27 PM

Good plan. When you go to your meeting make sure to keep an open mind. Let them know you are new. Thats a good way to start.

drynites 06-06-2012 05:35 PM

i cant believe how much this helps thank you sr

Deserto 06-06-2012 07:01 PM

Hi dynites and welcome to SR!

I find reading and posting helps me a lot... not only understanding what others are going through but seeing some of the challenges in early sobriety is very helpful. Plus, it's a lot of fun, so stick around! :)

Hevyn 06-06-2012 07:08 PM

Hi drynites - you're never alone, you have us. We all understand what you've gone through, and how much you want things to be different. There is life after alcohol - you deserve a better life. Please keep posting - we want to help.

artsoul 06-06-2012 07:13 PM

Welcome drynites!

Sorry to hear about your accident - but glad it led you to wanting to be sober. We know what it's like, thinking "maybe next time will be different" and finding out things keep going downhill.

This is a great place - it's been a lifeline for me!:ring

debsam 06-06-2012 08:20 PM

Hi Drynites,

You picked the right door, welcome to SR :)

A lot of support here mate. Make yourself comfortable....glad to have you with us.

Big hugs

drynites 06-07-2012 10:13 AM

why is it that whenever i am struggling to stay sober things always go wrong and make me feel like drinking? but on a plus, i went home. Feeling pretty good about myself now. NO ALCOHOL DAY 3! you are all a great help and inspiration thank you all

Fluttering 06-07-2012 10:17 AM

Hi Drynites

Welcome to SR and to the journey

why is it that whenever i am struggling to stay sober
I might suggest changing the "WHY" to "HOW"... I found that the question of "WHY" is just analyzing and the quesion of "HOW" is getting into the solution

Peace on the journey

Sapling 06-07-2012 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by drynites (Post 3433193)
I have decided I must do something seriously and am going to AA asap.

Have you been to a meeting yet?

drynites 06-07-2012 10:42 AM

not yet but am looking forward to tuesday as this is the only one local to me, also slightly apprehensive

Sapling 06-07-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by drynites (Post 3434316)
not yet but am looking forward to tuesday as this is the only one local to me, also slightly apprehensive

You wouldn't be human if you weren't apprehensive. I was terrified....But I still went. It was the smartest thing I've ever done. If you change your mind...Look at this site...You might find one before Tuesday.

Cornwall Council - Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)

drynites 06-07-2012 12:13 PM

Thanks, I've Just looked none near me until Tuesday
:c020:

LDT 06-07-2012 12:17 PM

Hi drynites! You might find an online meeting until you can get to an in-person meeting. And of course always come here to SR. We're a friendly,chatty bunch!!

pinkdog 06-07-2012 12:17 PM

Hi welcome! I'm kindof new to this site. 2 yrs recovery alcohol. That is the reason I quit, the increasing factor. I think this site is great!:lmao

pinkdog 06-07-2012 12:21 PM

The withdrawals the first couple days can make things confusing. It will get better. It's so worth it!:lmao

Hollyanne 06-07-2012 12:27 PM

Good job, no more crashed cars.
Stick around through the tough times long enough to get the good out of your hard work.
As they say in AA, don't give up before the miracle!

LoftyIdeals 06-07-2012 01:53 PM

Welcome to SR, drynites. This place can help you save your self!