Notices

How many of you felt like a hopeless case?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many of you felt like a hopeless case?

Just wondering how many of you with 30+ days of sobriety felt like a hopeless case when you came here? I'm assuming most of us.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not an alcoholic, but I can tell you that my mom and grandparents said they were going to give me a St. Jude medal, of the "saint of hopeless cases" if it makes you feel any better.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know I was definitely looking for hope when I first came here.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely thought of myself as a hopeless case. I had 15 years of experience to 'prove' that.

SR gave me back my hope

D
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I thought no one could possibly be as 'bad' as I was. Thank God for SR and AA, as they both showed me that there were many, many others just like me ... even better, they UNDERSTOOD me and didn't judge or criticize me. That was, and still is, my lifeline.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I came here hopeless and struggled for over a year before I was finally able to quit for good. I felt hopeless indeed, like I'd never make it, I was doomed to drink myself to death.

Two and a half years later I'm glad I was wrong.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think all of us eventually find our way here because everything else we tried to do to stop failed, failed, failed and there was nothing else left.

I guess a little hope remains though. Then, here on SR, that little hope gets watered and fertilized and talked to and can eventually totally replace the hopelessness.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I did, but there was a tiny spark of hope way in the back of my mind. When I came here it became a flame. I had so much help, hope, and encouragement - I couldn't have asked for more. I only wish I'd reached out for help years before I did.

Hope you're doing well, Hardtofind.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Still do at times. Thank God for God, SR and AA
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I didn't feel like one...I was one.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I first got here I felt a lot of things. Hopeless was probably one of them but most significant was hatred of myself and what I had done/was doing, sadness in great dimension. I felt like such scum. That seems to add up to hopeless I guess so maybe the answer is YES.

I know what led me here but I don't know what got me here. I was just googling stuff about oxycodone withdrawl and came upon it. I jumped right on it and am very glad that I did. I found brotherhood and support. I remember my first time at an AA meeting and how it felt to find people who had been just as stupid as I was and had come through it.

It took me a while to join as I was afraid of being found out or scammed. I flitted around the edges reading other peoples stories and gradually became more comfortable and felt that comfort in others who could help me to feel better physically and emotionally.

My wife has been an enormous help to me but she is not an addict/alcoholic. Although she knows more than she ever wanted to know now she still has trouble fathoming how someone could do the things that I have done. Hell, I can't figure out how I could do the things that I have done.

It felt so good to tell my story after I finally signed up and and know that a legion of people were going to read it and say "Oh Yeah, I've done that."
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's not true for me...I was a hopeless case when I walked into AA...I had worked the steps and had five months sober when I came here. I misread the question. I don't know what happened to me...I made a post in this Newcomer Section and I've been here ever since.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i was 7 years into recovery when i found this forum. i was hopeless when i was drinking/ druggin. got into AA and got hope.worked the steps, practice the principles in all my affairs and now im living proof that the most hopeless, worthless, uselees drunk can get and stay sober and stop existing and start living.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I felt okay when I first started visiting the site. Lots of failed attempts later my life was in the toilet and I began to feel hopeless. It's not a good feeling - it's false anyway -there's always hope. In 10 days I'll be a year sober. If I can do it you can too. Don't give up.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Yes I absolutely did thats what kept me going back to the bottle and now I realize those are just negative thoughts I have of myself and I try and change them by thinking of everything I am grateful for to lift my mood. You arent hopeless no one is.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

25 years of digging deeper and deeper, a slow suicide on a daily basis by the end. What started as a once a month "fun time" turned into someone with no hope and full of desperation to change, not knowing how......

I lost everything-
career, son, family relationships, friendships, vehicle, loved ones dying, utilities about to be shut off, ALL retirement funds, NO money left (at all), no self esteem (negative self esteem, does that count?), a part time job (again), full of fears, phobias, and anxiety galore.

Today, I am repairing relationships, friendships, and family is returning slowly, I am about to be employed, I found out my things in storage still exist and I have a chance to retrieve my most personal belongings--son's baby pics, all my photo albums, my diplomas, my journals, my highly personal belongings, I have a little money in the bank and the current bills are up-to-date, I have new friends and some old friends from my past are showing up, I have lost my irrational fears, no social phobias today, and no anxiety. I am saving for a vehicle.

Things have taken a turn for the better in one year and a couple weeks of sobriety, along with the steps of AA and the fellowship.

:day6 Sobriety is a gift today.

Hopeless, YES I WAS! Hopeful today.