Notices

Sleeping pills?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping pills?

Just wondering ... would it be wrong for a recently sober person to take an over-the-counter sleeping pill if she's been having a hard time getting more than 3-4 hours for the past two weeks?

I know how common this is, so maybe I'll just wait it out. I hate the idea of taking something, but if only I could just get some sleep ...
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm curious about this, too. I've always had really bad insomnia and I'm a little scared about what will happen in the next couple of weeks if I don't take an over the counter.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Luling

I'm 7 weeks sober today. I'm feeling great apart from poor sleep (I haven't slept through yet since stopping drinking). Personally I'm choosing to let sleep come naturally. I'm sure it will. In the meantime I'm putting up with broken sleep and I'm kinda used to it now (almost like having the young'uns again - it's amazing how you can get used to less sleep).

My body is having to re-learn how to sleep without the unaesthetic effect of alcohol. I know it will come.

That's not to say you must make the same decision of course.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's probably no big deal, but I'm rather reluctant. I just think if I'm ever going to adapt to the new me, I'll need to be careful what I put into my body. I am a little tired of pacing around my house all night like a ghost, but I guess eventually I'll stop. I don't know; I can't decide if I want to try it or not.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please consult your Doctors before you take anything, Do not replace one addiction with another.. Repalcement game is really risky and dangerous ...Yes Sleep is important but seek long term solution to the problem and not an easy fix ...Sometimes , a full glass of warm milk is more useful to get good sleep than any stupid medicine ...
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took half of a unisom for a period of time (before quitting) due to insomnia that I believe was caused by trauma/anxiety/depression. It kept me afloat. Before that I was drinking alcohol and combining addictive drugs because I was self-medicating my mental issues and so desperate to sleep. I did not become dependent on unisom and started Celexa (antidepressant) and have been actually sleeping most nights without any substances (including unisom). I believe that it helped reset me. It seemed like I had lost the ability to sleep. Anyway that is my experience. Of course I consulted my doctor (though he wasn't much help) and I would if I were you too!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
We really don't give out medical advice but there is a vitamin called melotonin(?). It works sometimes but not all the time. Just call your doctor and ask if it is ok for you.
Oops, I wasn't really thinking along the lines of seeking medical advice, just wondering if there was just some general rule/conventional wisdom about people with alcohol problems taking stuff like this.

So, melatonin? I've heard of it before, I'll go look it up. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've had a good number of new members lately - some of you might not be aware of the details of our medical rule:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Its our attempt to ensure that people get their medical advice from professional, qualified, and appropriate channels.

We're a peer support group here at SR...we encourage you to share your experience - experience is our currency - but please - be mindful that that experience should never seek to replace advice, diagnosis or treatment by a medical professional.

No-one here can know someone's else's medical history, current medications, or physical condition.

Whats worked for others may not work, or may not even be suitable for you.

Please play it safe - neither ask for nor give medical advice that should be coming from a Doctor, Pharmacist or other qualified medical professional.

I have removed some posts.

My advice to you Luling is, if you're concerned about the lack of sleep, see a Dr

thanks guys,
D
Old 06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Part of getting good sleep is being able to relax and de-stress before bed. I love hot bubble baths, chamomile or jasmine tea, and a good book along with some "chill" music. I have to get my brain in the frame of mind for sleep at least an hour or two before I go to bed. One of my new routines is to turn off the TV about an hour before bed, do some stretching, take a bubble bath, steam or hot tub, then crawl into bed with a book and a bottle of Marley's Mellow Mood tea (has melatonin, valerian and other "calming," all-natural herbs) and some soft music. After a half hour or so, I can barely keep my eyes open. One thing I've learned is to NOT go to bed before you're in a place where your eyelids are getting droopy. If that means not going to bed until 2 am, so be it. Trying to sleep before your body is ready will only result in tossing/turning, which leads to frustration, which leads to more tossing/turning, etc. It takes awhile before our bodies learn to find their natural sleep rhythm without any "help." There are things you can do to relax without the help of sleep aids - you just have to find what works for you.

I would only add this about Tylenol PM ... sure, the diphenhydramine can help you sleep, BUT the acetaminophen is not good for our livers, which have already been stressed by our alcohol use.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry about raising an iffy topic, Dee. It's cool, I'm going to tough out the insomnia for a while anyway; I don't think it's doctor-worthy at this point.