Notices

What helps your cravings

Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What helps your cravings

I am looking for ideas as I start again. I am in AA and outpatient so I have all the outside I need. What foods do you eat? What activities do you do? What things do you think about to help the cravings?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Early on Duke...I kept myself pretty busy with AA...I should say my sponsor kept me busy. Working the steps is what keeps me sober...But I went to a lot of meetings and used the phone to stay in contact with other alcoholics every day. I was willing to do what I had to do to not drink again.....11 months later it is paying off. Do you have a sponsor yet?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Duke , from our experience ,we can suggest ,

1 . Drink Fresh water a lot . Drink Fresh water like fish.
2. Eat small portions as many times as you like . You can eat small bowl of salads like cucumber, lettuce, beans, nuts and fruits , 12 times a day.
3. Moderate exercise like brisk walking for 15 minutes. You do not have to burn yourselves on Treadmill for hours
4. Avoid Nicotine and Caffeine completely if you can. These substances add to cravings for alcohol

But, it is much more than just what you drink and eat.. To be alive , we need to breath ,too.. Here is a small suggestion... Sit comfortably and take 10 deep breaths. Your stomach should come out , every time you inhale and should go back every time you exhale. After 10 deep breaths, relax and repeat for 3 times. You will feel oxygen rushing to your brain and you will feel fine.

If you can , do some stretching exercises like Yoga or just some simple body stretches.

AND final tip very popular in AA, never go thirsty, never go hungry and never go lonely for more than few hours.. It will help
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice 1lastchance8. The nicotine will be tough right now but the rest is doable.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, exercising outdoors. Something about working up a sweat while soaking up fresh air and sunshine really helps. Of course it's blazing hot where I live (Texas) so I use up a lot of sunscreen.

I've been on a diet lately, which I've been sticking to very well, but Monday I was feeling miserable and deprived, so I went and got a chocolate milkshake. It didn't hit the spot like a drink would have, but I figured it's better than splurging on alcohol. It was yummy and seemed to do the trick. Of course then I had to go run it off, but oh well; at least it didn't give me a hangover.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Outdoor walks through the Carson wetlands, high nutrition rich food, fruitsw vegetables, fish and plenty of music and some meditation and reading. And laughing.

PS The Duke filmed his last movie in Carson City, I often walk past the house in the movie.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
Thanks for the advice 1lastchance8. The nicotine will be tough right now but the rest is doable.
That is fine. Really happy to know that you found rest as doable . Pl do not forget breathing exercise as I mentioned. It is simple and helps big time ..
Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

pistachios
hard candy
chocolate
bowl of cereal and milk
ice cream

journal
call someone
pray
meditate
help anyone else
stay out of your head (it's a process)
Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
What things do you think about to help the cravings?
I don't think about drinking now. That's the blessing of recovery. But when I first quit...

I thought that the mental obsession to drink is just that--mental. Thoughts. Powerful thoughts, persistent thoughts, but just thoughts. I don't have to surrender to thoughts.

I thought about what the cravings are. They are my addiction, trying to derail my plans to quit, to make me forget why I'm quitting in the first place.

I thought about what lies my addiction feeds me, lies like, "Just this one time, drink, then you can quit forever."

I thought, "NO!" I kept thinking "No" until the obsession to drink passed.

I thought, "What would John Wayne do?"

I thought that when this obsession is finally lifted I wasn't ever going to drink again and have to do this all over. It lifted. I haven't drank.

Cravings pass.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unfortunately Johnn Wayne was a drunk. Maybe I should pick a better avatar!! I know what you mean. Be tough. Gotcha.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hmm well here is a couple I use

-call someone
-come to SR
-lie down and relax and think about that it will pass
-have a mainly healthy snack but cheat a bit with the odd chocolate or ice cream but I am pre-diabetic so trying to drop sugar and simple carbs way down my list
-take a walk
-read the BB or something else related to recovery or hope
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Embracing cravings and learning to recognise that they are just your AV screaming for its drug fix. I am finally learning this and things have become so much easier, let it scream it's good to know you are just going to ignore it. I look at people who have suffered real pain or have lived there lives overcoming adversity or are fighting to live a bit longer. Cravings in the grand scheme of things are just thoughts, embrace them and ignore, and take great pleasure in knowing that you are moving forward by doing this.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Obviously alot of stuff...Ive gained 5 lbs...

hard candy
lots of protein:nuts, jerky, sunflowers seeds, yogurt
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT--being on here and my AA meetings definetly put alcohol to the back of my mind.