Notices

Getting too comfortable??

Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi everyone, love to hear whether you got too comfortable after a few weeks and maybe thought you were ok and then got kind of ambushed.
I'm 8 weeks in now, and going fine about not drinking, but I know for sure I haven't made that FINAL once and for all decision to never drink again so I'm taking it day to day.
Has anyone got over confident and then suddenly relapsed because something triggered the old cravings?
Best wishes to everyone on their journey to sobriety.
I'm almost three years sober and I still haven't made that decision to never drink again. I just wake up everyday and decide I won't drink today. Today I'm going to a bar to meet friends and my addictive voice has chimed in suggesting we get wasted. I just said no, I'm not drinking today, maybe tomorrow. Sometimes when he's really fiesty, I say, once I turn 60 we will get good and wasted, but not today.

Recovery is all about taking things day-to-day, even moment to moment when you can (or are forced to like I have been recently). Most alcoholics are very neurotic so thinking I will never drink again is too much and then we end up relapsing because we get a case of the f*ck its.

I have got complacent. This past fall after I survived some really traumatic experiences over the year and didn't drink once. Great right? So I asked myself, "Maybe I'm recovered now?" BOOM, here comes the addictive voice from his hiding place to egg me on and tell me I should party now and basically made anything alcoholic look really, really good again. THAT is where the real danger of complacency comes in recovery, letting the addictive voice come in and manipulate you again. The AV only wants your complete annihilation, nothing else. Being aware and countering that voice, for me, has been the crux of staying sober. Recovery is all about managing your mental and emotional states so the AV has less ability to do its thing.