Notices

Having trouble on my birthday

Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having trouble on my birthday

I've been fine all day at work today, but here is my predicament. I work out of town every week. Today is my birthday and I have no one to spend it with. I am on my 6th day tomorrow will be a full week of sobriety for me so that is keeping me going at this point. I would like to get over this hump today because I know it will be a huge step. 30th birthday, alone and out of town and off work in an hour or so...
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey man, happy birthday~~~~! A new you for a new year, your third decade of life not waisted, not in jail, not harming your brain, rather off on the right foot of self improvement. You didn't set some easily failed resolution to start when you turned thirty, hell no, you decieded on real change that would take you into your thirties and into your development as a new person. Congrads on your six days, congrads on entering the third decade of life, where you will have all the vigor of youth along with much of the wisdom that comes with age. Congrads on having a job in a depression era economy---I can't help but see, you have a lot on the ball, more then you give yourself credit for.

I wonder, what goals you have considered for when, with the grace of God, you reach 40? Where do you want to be in your career, your family life, your health and fitness? You know, when you plan something out far enough, almost 100% of the time you can reach that objective. That's why they say time is the coin of one's life~~~~time is everything.

Hang on SR, consider where you want to go in life and what you want to do. Check out some movies on the internet while you surf the boards, and stop by our nifty chat room just for kicks.

You aren't alone brother; it just feels that way sometimes---for all of us...and isn't it ironic, in that shared reality we find our common humanity.

See you on the boards~~~
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

What a birthday present to yourself - starting a new year and decade sober.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to an AA meeting when you get out of work...Tell them it's your Birthday and tomorrow will be a week for you...They'll sing to you and you can hang out with a bunch of nice people that don't drink. Free coffee and donuts!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome job on 6 days! And happy birthday!!! I am also 30, and it's a great time to start your new life sober. You have lots of happy sober years ahead to look forward to.

Since you're out of town, maybe you can find some others things to do instead of going out and drinking. Maybe go exercise or check out a movie at the cinema? That's a good way to celebrate, and keep yourself entertained. Do you have any solo hobbies you like to do, like reading? Maybe think about your hobbies, and try to come up with a list of things you've always wanted to try, but never had time for. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can spend the day with us
and do something good for yourself - a nice meal , a present to yourself?

My sober birthdays have been great - in time, I'm sure you'll look back at this one with fondness
D
Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

:day5
Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday! Mine is coming up too. I plan to enjoy a great meal and maybe some ice cream! Maybe you can get a nice meal, or see a movie, or just draw a hot bath and relax. Think of the great birthday gift you are giving yourself, and what an amazing year you are going to have. You are not alone, we are right here with you!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday!

Make this a birthday that you remember for the rest of your life.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!!

I am so proud of you for making it a full week. Can you go to an AA meeting. You could celebrate your birthday with new friends. They might even buy you a piece of birthday cake after the meeting.

Love and Blessings
Chrisy
Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

Man, I wish I had gotten sober at 30. I wish I had gotten sober at 40. I wish..... I wish you many more sober decades! Happy Birthday!!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday dude!! Give yourself the birthday present of a 7th day tomorrow. I promise you that sobriety will be the best decision you ever made. I am 34 now... I contemplated sobriety when I was 27, 28, 29, 30, etc... I wish I did it when I first started thinking about it because the only guaranty you have is that if you are a true addict and you keep drinking/using your life will get worse. Mine did... I have 30 days today and I will NEVER go back, one day at a time. The pain became too severe.

Good luck friend.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

To repeat with so many others, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I would sing it but that, indeed, would be no present at all. You ARE giving yourself a great present in sobriety.

Dee you always have the right thing to say. Yeah! spend the day with us.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dr4t7 Happy Belly Button Birthday
and Sober Day Seven!:day6
:day1
Where is the cake? Now that I dont drink Ive got a sweet tooth that wont quit!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think that spending your 30th b-day sober, alone with your thoughts, and with a new "lease on life" could be a defining moment for you. In fact, my 30th b-day 2 years ago, in the midst of a 2 week vacation bender in Vegas and Miami (costing over $4K) was one of the most depressing I have ever had (despite it being a very expensive fancy "celebration" amongst "friends").
Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I made it! Feeling great on day 7. Thanks for all the support and birthday wishes everyone.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

YEAH congratulations!!! And happy birthday!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by dr4t7 View Post
I made it! Feeling great on day 7.
Well done, now keep up the same progress and you will be well on your for a new long continued life alcohol free.