Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Kicked out of my apartment because of my stupidity with alcohol

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clean again after 3 long years

So I live with my mom and my 15 month old son. While drinking, I would have people over or I would skype with my long-distance friends and it did get loud at lots of times. Well, finally it caught up to me, 8 days into my sobriety. The landlord came today and told my mom there were too many complaints against me and that I had to leave, effective immediately. I'm crying my eyes out because I don't have anywhere to go. I'm only 8 days sober if I go to stay with any of my old friends I can't guarantee that I'm able to stay clean. I'm not confident in my sobriety enough... Idk what to do anymore. I was feeling soooo good, like on top of the world, but now everything just crumbled thanks to my alcoholism. I wanted to get things straightened out but now I don't have a game plan anymore. Sorry for the rant I just needed it.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wonder if you and your mother could speak to the manager, or someone above them.

You could also contact your local fair housing office for support.

I am not sure of the help you could receive, but make some calls to find out what you can do to stay.

I am thinking that if you could request a conversation with the manager to acknowledge and apologize for the behavior, with a current explanation of what you are doing to ensure it won't happen again...if they might reconsider.

Would you be willing to explain that your behavior was influenced by drinking, but that you are now sober?

Could you ask them to give you another chance as you are sober, and have learned from your mistake, and will be sure to behave?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 8 days, have you thought about moving to a sober living house maybe? Then you wouldn't be around drugs n alcohol.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's tough, especially now. I was getting evicted while in treatment and called the owner and just opened up. He came and visited, I paid a penalty fee and got to stay. Do whay you can but don't quit on the sobriety, it'll make nothing better. Hope things work out for you.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mm123xx,

This is pretty devastating news, especially so early in sobriety. Could you possibly appeal to your neighbors and apologize and explain that you are recovering and that it won't happen again? Most people respond positively to heartfelt sincere appeals for help.

I hope you can resolve this problem and you are so right in not wanting to move into an environment where you could pick up. Just don't drink on it. As you rightly said alcohol got you into this mess and alcohol will keep you there.

All the best
love
CaiHong
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear this Mm1231xx.

I think there's some wonderful advice here tho - talking to the manager again or, if that doesn't fly, finding some sober living sound like good ideas to me.

D
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone... The manager signed the eviction papers, they said I'm not even allowed on the premises to visit my mom. I know I can't get a second chance here. As for public housing, I'm already on the 5 year waiting list, which by then I'll have my degree and won't need public housing. For sober living, there's home aboout 2.5 hours away from me, but they won't take my son in with me. I'm a single mom and there are no other options for my son to stay with. :/

I guess I'm just going to have to suck this one up and sleep couch to couch at friends houses.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just because eviction papers are signed and delivered does not mean you have no legal rights. I would contact legal aide to see if they can help.

Here is a link for Chicago
Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago - Home

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would also not give up at this point.

Communicate with the manager, the neighbors, whatever you have to do because moving with a baby and a week into recovery is going to be really hard to manage.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There must be some sober living places that cater for mothers - don't give up

100 Sober Living Homes in Chicago IL - Transitional Living Home
D
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's a good list of sober houses...You're in a rough spot for now Mm1231xx...But as long as you don't pick up...Things will get better...I'll pray for you and your kid....I suggest you do the same. Hang in there.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would start calling all the churches. Start asking if anyone knows of a foster family that would help you and your baby.

You never know.

Also, I don't know your age, but I found a housing program for young moms (18-21) and their children.

Maybe someone there can help you.

New Moms - Changing the Future for Teen Moms ||

also:

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago - Homelessness Services

Illinois Transitional Housing | Transitional Housing in Illinois

List of Women's Shelters in Chicago, IL - Find Homeless Shelters | Mercy Home for Boys & Girls
Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering

That's hard MM.

I'd second what others say - have a word with neighbours and the manager. Perhaps ask just for a 1 week trial in the first instance and if that is OK to review weekly? Maybe the neighbours could be asked weekly if everything was going OK. Have you got anyone from AA who could help talk to them and take some ownership?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your apartment. Stay strong and sober. Hugs.:ghug3
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone again!!! I'm so happy I can come to a place and talk about this and get help from people who don't personally know me. My mom pretty much said she's not making me leave until I find somewhere to go an that the landlord can shove it Btw I'm 21, I'll be 22 on Dec31. But anyway, I feel like this is just God pushing towards something new in my life. The past few years I've really been wanting to move to the country, you know, just go south because I don't believe my heart belongs in the city anymore. Well, I was looking in southern Illinois and there's some REALLY cheap apartments in great areas! 200% lower crime than Chicago, I'd say lol and it's a very small town where everyone knows everyone so I'm sure I'd be able to find a babysitter for my son while I find a CNA job at a hospital in one of the surrounding towns. It's a long shot, but people move across the country with only $10 in their pocket right? I decided to use my financial aid check leftovers to fix my car up to drive down there, stay in a motel and check everything out. I feel relieved even though nothing positive has happened yet! But I feel positive things coming, and I'm praying for the best <3
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Congrats on staying positive. When one door closes another door opens and this could be a great opportunity for you. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Things sound better today Mm1231xx...Just don't pick up...Do the next right thing...And keep praying. It's nice to see you more hopeful!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

There are lots of Sober Living Houses in Chicago and I am sure
some of them do allow women and child.

100 Sober Living Homes in Chicago IL - Transitional Living Home

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=...w=1447&bih=646

Above are two places to start looking and calling.

Hope that helps.

As another resort, check with the Salvation Army.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gosh, MM, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Reading your original post and through the overwhelming support in the previous posts brought tears to my eyes. Terrific ideas. And good for you for your positive attitude. My prayers are with you and your baby boy.
Big hug for you! Keep us posted, k?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Keep up the positive attitude, things WILL get better. (hugs)