Notices

14 months sober

Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 months sober

Hi just registered to the site, longtime reader. As soon as i left school and went to university i became a hard drinker. I spent 5 years meandering though university progressively becoming more hardened in my drinking habits - first two years joining many clubs which encouraged dangerous levels of drinking, and then later drinking either alone or having my one drinking partner who could keep up with me. Now i can see the institutionalised drinking culture as a bad side effect of going to university, a training manual to be an alcoholic for the weak of mind. Finally i broke, failed and moved back home, but didnt have a job and continued drinking for a year. Got kicked out of home after a year, feel a resentment towards parents because of aparent lack of help but i guess im too old for that. I hit rock bottom and had to help myself. I dont speak to them right now.

Last spring i stopped drinking and got a job as a chef whilst living on brothers sofa for 3 months. Earned enough to lay down deposit on my own place. Feel it is a job i could do as a career. Am trying to improve my health through physiotherapy, and exercise. Lost 5 stone in 5 months, plateued at a good weight now. Am on fairly strong dose of antidepressants, still struggling on my days off but mostly OK at work, if a little bored. Went to AA 3 or 4 times last year, considering going back again to try and get sober friends. I have some freinds but they drink and i get bored because i cant identify with them anymore. I feel it is time to move to the next level somehow, my life and finances are in order but i need more hobbies and have more social interation with similar people because i still feel a detatchment from others.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Will - you'll certainly find support advice and friends here

Congrats on your sober time

D
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

Welcome Will! I admire your courage and resolve. Keep posting.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Congrats on the 14 months!

AA is a good place to meet others who understand. There's a young people in AA group around the world!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Will)) - Welcome to SR and congrats on 14 months!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Will. Great job on 14 months. You must have a lot of WILL. OK someone had to say it!! Seriously be posting. I have been to AA meetings. Can't say I found friends because of the second A in AA but I did find support and guidance. It was funny how you mentioned sleeping on the Biro's couch. I did that with a friend and thought it was some of the best times of my life. So wrong. We are here to help.

PS: 5 stones? Is that good? Us yanks think kidney stones first:you
Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sleeping on the couch wasnt as bad as you'd think it was ha, although im quite tall so i eventually just took the cushions and sleapt on the floor! Do you do kilos then? 5 stone is around 30 kilos. I was riding 7 miles to work and back each day, and doing 12-13 hours pot washing shifts or vegetable preperation in a room on my own, 60 hours a week. Ridiculous and i was miserable but i treated it as bootcamp lol. Needless to say as soon as i lost the weight i quit that job and now work a more sensible 40 hours in a much better place where i actually cook and dont have a boss anymore!!

I hope i can make sober friends at AA, that'd be the only reason id go. I certainly wont be drinking anytime soon eitherway.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job Will---I love how at 14 months sober you call yourself a "newcomer" you should be teaching me!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hows your sobriety going?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will2011 View Post
Hows your sobriety going?

pretty good this time Will--Ive been at this dance awhile and something finally clicked to 100% committ---TODAY! I can only do today
Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah exactly i treat work the same. 'Live in day-tight compartments'. When the week starts i only think about working through the one day rather than think 'oh no its 5 days untill i get a break.'

Thing is ive started to get bored again, thats why i need to get more goals to aim for. Losing weight was my goal and helped me to not think about drinking.