Notices

Worst Day Since I Got Sober

Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Worst Day Since I Got Sober

Today sucked. Enough said.

I just got 90 days yesterday and for the first time in those 90 days, the thought of drinking crossed my mind. Thank God that's all it was ... a passing thought. Not even a craving, just a habit that my brain goes to when it's under pressure. Old habits die hard, I guess. I told it to F off, and it did.

At least today was also my meeting with my sponsor, who promptly kicked my a** for having a pity party. I soooo love long-term sober folks who tell it like it is. She is celebrating 28 years of sobriety this week and has seen/done/heard it all. It is a wonderful gift to have someone in your life who has been where you are and can "call" you on your BS, tell you where you're setting yourself up for failure, and also tell you where you're just plain feeling sorry for yourself. She totally pi**ed me off but that was only because she saw right through me and my BS. God love her.

Living life on life's terms is such an alien concept to this alcoholic. That's why we need support ... on SR, in AA, from sober friends/family ... left to our own devices and our own rationalizations, we WILL drink/use again. Folks, PLEASE ... if I learned anything today, it's that you need good people in your life who will support you during your sobriety. Whatever you're feeling ... whenever you're feeling it ... don't be afraid to come here and get it off your chest. Keeping it inside is lethal to folks like us. Anger, resentment, stress, sadness, frustration ... they all can lead us to that first drink, and we all know what happens from there.

I see so many people come here and apologize for venting ... DON'T APOLOGIZE. Nobody understands better than us. Better to vent to us than vent through a bottle. We wouldn't be here if we didn't want to help. We've seen/done/lived it all. And we know that keeping this crap to ourselves because we don't want to offend or upset anyone is only detrimental to US.

Good lesson learned for me today. If it helps you, that makes it even better.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Great post desertsong. Thanks and congrats on the 90 days!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry about the bad day. I always get a little "off" around an aniversary and I notice others in the rooms get hit too. The darkness wants us to drink, ruin our families, and get stuck in spriraling downward cycle.

I on the other hand HATE how my sponcor calls me out on my cr@p. Untill I sit and process what she says. I still have quite an entitlement issue I am working on.
I really admire how you appreciate it. I want to "fight for my rights" all the time with her lol!!! I know how silly this sounds. I'm going to try to be more grateful for who my HP put in my life. Thanks for your post
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know you're right desertsong. I stifle the vents - always have. I need to try & remember one of the reasons we're all here is to be honest about what we're feeling - not pretend everything's all roses & unicorns every day.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Desertsong
Congrats on the 90 days. Yes, we need support to stay sober that is for sure. it is only now, one year on that I can see what I was doing was wrong I'm afraid unlike your good self I would have told your sponsor to PO. I wasn't ready to give up my self pitying quite yet.
less venting is needed the more sober I become and I usually can see my part in the drama and work it out.
Better to vent here than pick up also you have people here that can put things in perspective as far as the alcoholic mind sees things.

love
caiHong
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you had a sucky day but hearty congrats on 90 DS - that's fantastic

D
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

90 days.......vent away
Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
She is celebrating 28 years of sobriety this week and has seen/done/heard it all. It is a wonderful gift to have someone in your life who has been where you are and can "call" you on your BS, tell you where you're setting yourself up for failure, and also tell you where you're just plain feeling sorry for yourself. She totally pi**ed me off but that was only because she saw right through me and my BS. God love her.
It is a wonderful gift to have people like that to help you....You couldn't go out and pay good money for someone like that....If you could even find someone like that...And these people give it away freely because that's how they got it. You can't ask for a better gift than that. Congrats on 90 days DS....Keep moving forward.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder to not apologize about how we feel and being able to express that through SR. Congrats on the 90 days. Well done.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

90 days!!! woo hoo!!! that must feel wonderful! congrats!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Brilliant post desertsong. It reminds us all that we need to be vigilant, and to turn to that support network when we need it.
Isolating ourselves is dangerous.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Big congrats on ninety!!!
Day 30 sucked..2 months sucked....90, I had fought so hard for that and here I was thinking of drinking. Month 4 kinda sucked but month 5.... A great day. Lotta changes going on with me as I begin step 4 and those relationships build.
Got hope for month 6.
Again congrats and great to here you have a sponser. I have a sponser but Ialso have a woman with 26 years under her belt who reached through a phone line and helped a wreck of a woman learn to live. No coincidence. Every ugly thing she's been through enabled her to reach our and save my life. Talk about paying it forward.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congratulations on the 90 days Desertsong, you are FANTASTIC.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 90days desertsong.Early sobriety is such a roller coaster of emotion.

I thank God for the wonderful people that were put in my way to help and guide me and continue to do so.Sounds like you have a wonderful sponsor.

Wishing you well.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well...your bad day has helped me. Im sorry you had one though. Thank you for the inspiring post!